Help!! Asus X99 Deluxe II mobo new build with WIn 10 Pro on Samsung 950 Pro - major USB issues

KingDog

Jan 1, 2002
Going crazy here. Any help would be appreciated.
Brand new build.

Asus x99 Deluxe II mobo
Intel 6850
MSI 1070
16GB G Skill RAM
Samsung 950 Pro NVMe boot drive in the M2 slot on mobo

Everything seemed good.
The Mobo code says "AA".
The Samsung 950 recognized in the BIOS Boot menu.

I did clean install of WIN10 via DVD drive. Seemed fine.

PROBLEM:

Whenever I use any USB port with a USB flash drive to copy files to the Samsung 950 drive - the file transfer stops after a few seconds and the whole system locks up.
I have to reboot via via system restart button.

None of the USB ports work with a simple USB 3.0 or 2.0 flash drive.(The Mouse and keyboard USB dongle from MS wireless keyboard/mouse works fine)

The Device Manager says all USB controllers and ports are good.

The BIOS is all default settings for ADVANCED USB Configuration settings.
Smart Auto for INTEL xHCI MODE
Enabled for EHCI Legacy Support
Enabled for xHCI Hand Off
Disabled for EHCI Hand Off

I am using the drivers that installed with WIN 10 Pro most recent build.
I did update the Asmedia USB drivers from ASUS disk.
I updated chipset drivers.
Updated the BIOS to latest 1401 version from 801.
I disabled the power management suspend in all the USB ports.
I uninstalled and reinstalled them in WIN 10.

Not sure what else to do.

I am a little unsure about the Samsung 950 Pro drive setup if I did it correctly.
It is all good in WIN 10 Device Manager.
WIN 10 Pro has drivers upon install for it.

I do not see any settings for NVMe Configuration in the ASUS UEFI Bios Advanced Settings.

Finally- this is the second ASUS x99 Deluxe II mobo I am having trouble with the exact same issue.
I RMA'd the first one thinking it was the mobo. It would not read flash drives or USB hard drives either correctly and locked up.
The Keybd/mouse worked fine on that one also.

QUESTIONS:

1) Did I do the WIN 10 Pro install correctly on the Samsung Pro 950?
2) Did I do something wrong on the Samsung 950 configuration?
2) Is WIN 10 Pro just terrible with USB configuration and should I use Windows 8.1 Pro instead?

Any ideas appreciated. Anything I am missing here??
Thanks.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
So the 950 works fine for everything else? If so, the 950 would not seem to be a factor here. Have you tried more than one USB drive? Are you using front or rear ports or both? If rear, are you using the 3.0 or 3.1 ports? The 3.0 ports are off the Intel controller, the 3.1's off the Asmedia.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Hmm, try it with a bootable Linux for troubleshooting, to eliminate a software/driver issue.

KingDog

Jan 1, 2002
So the 950 works fine for everything else? If so, the 950 would not seem to be a factor here. Have you tried more than one USB drive? Are you using front or rear ports or both? If rear, are you using the 3.0 or 3.1 ports? The 3.0 ports are off the Intel controller, the 3.1's off the Asmedia.

950 Seems to work fine otherwise. It benches out to spec in Crystal Mark. I installed WIN 10 Pro onto it and Office 2013.
Not getting other Windows errors or lockups otherwise.

Yep- it locks up with various flash drives I have tried which work in other computers. Have tried both front 2.0 and 3.0 case USB ports using internal mobo connectors, and rear motherboard I/O USB ports.

I even connected both the 8 pin and 4 pin power plugs.

The MS keyboard/mouse wireless USB dongle does work fine pre POST and in operating system.
It then locks up when the USB Flash drive is installed and I try to copy files to desktop from any USB port.

I just tried an install of WIN Pro 8.1 with same results on the 950.

I then tried an install of WIN Pro 10 on a different SATA Intel Solid state drive.

Same results.

There has to be some setting in WIN 10 Pro or the Mobo BIOS that will fix this.

I guess I should try MEMTEST to be sure but it is brand new memory sticks.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
I'd second the suggestion of trying a Linux live disk. However a quick search shows a lot of reports of issues with USB on recent Asus boards.

KingDog

Jan 1, 2002
I'd second the suggestion of trying a Linux live disk. However a quick search shows a lot of reports of issues with USB on recent Asus boards.
Honestly- this should not be this hard.
I think I am going to RMA it after I looked again at all of the steps I have taken.
You are correct- the internet is full of ASUS mobo based system issues.