Help android newbie... text messaging

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
1 day since activation and I'm stumbling through getting my feet wet. Had impression there were 3 text messaging (SMS?) apps already installed with my android 10. It's a new(ish) Samsung Galaxy S9.

So, not knowing what app I want to use I search on favorite text messaging apps for android and find "ANDROID MESSAGING" touted highly. I see message+ is my default, was under the impression that I'd installed it yesterday so I decide to uninstall it. Now I see info that messages+ is likely also known as Android Messaging. Whoops! I just installed the best text messaging app. I go to Play Store and search on all that stuff and can't figure out what to install, don't see anything there that seems the same as what I uninstalled. Dang, this stuff is hairy and complicated. I have two other SMS apps installed, both have same name, Messages. Mean this is getting ridiculous. Is there a way I can reverse the uninstall I just did??? :oops: I just want the best-for-me text messaging app. Did I just uninstall that and how do I get it back?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Can I just reinstall Android 10 and get the default SMS back? Android 10 was the update that happened pretty much automatically yesterday when I activated. Can I update it again? And get the default SMS app back?

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Can I just reinstall Android 10 and get the default SMS back? Android 10 was the update that happened pretty much automatically yesterday when I activated. Can I update it again? And get the default SMS app back?
The default SMS client in the S9 is Samsungs "Messages" app and you cant uninstall it so that should still be there.
I would personally use that if you just want an SMS messager.

The confusion comes because Google calls their app "messages" as well. It's got a different icon and it can be uninstalled (at least on my S9 it can, no guarantees for USA carrier versions).

Reactions: Muse