Help an old nerd out, Duron 600 vs 650 for OCing!

LynLabahn

Oct 9, 2000
Gentlemen!

Well first let me say that this is my first leap back into the PC world for quite a long time in "PC Years". When I left, 300A's were the buzz and my TNT/Voodoo2 combo was smokin! Needless to say, it is in need of an upgrade, BUT there is a small problem, I've been slackin off in my PC news, so I am not quite sure what to buy. This is what I have right now.

Big MOFO case
Celeron 300A OCed to 450, stable as hell.
Abit BH6 Motherboard
128meg of PC100
STB 16 meg TNT card
STB black magik Voodoo2 card
Monster Sound MX300
Two network cards
Windows 98 Second Edition
28.8 Modem, GAG! DIE MODEM DIE!

Now that you know what I have, let me tell you what I intend to do. First off, my primary use for this computer is internet browsing/email checking, but as soon as two-way cable becomes availble (I hope the dickheads at AT&T hurry up!) I will be getting into my old crack habit of online gaming.
The reason that I am updating now is because the second week of november me and my homies are doing a nerd fest LAN party and I want to have a sweet gaming machine by then. We will be playing lots of C-strike and UT.
I had toyed with the idea of putting a Celeron 533 PPGA on a slotket and running it on the BH6, but it seems like no one is doing this, and the Duron is the low budget overclockers choice. Anyone disagree? Anywayz, I am thinking of picking up the following parts.

Abit KT7
AMD Duron in 600 or 650 trim (Does the 650 overclock any better? OEM or Retail?)
an additional 128 meg of RAM
32 meg Geforce 2 MX (brand?)

The motherboard seems to get good reviews and is stable. As far as the processor goes, is the 600 or the 650 the way to go? If the 650 has any chance of overclocking better, I'll just pick it up since it is only 10 bucks or so more than the 600.
Whats the deal with the pin clipping too? My friend said I need to do something like write little lines on the processor with a lead pencil to get it to run right? Is that hard to do?
As far as the RAM goes, I will probably just pick up some name brand PC100 to match what I already have.
The Nvidia card seems like the budget gamers choice right now. Any particular brands that people reccomend? Any that I should avoid like the plague? Who has the best drivers?
I know that these are a lot of questions. but I need to get going on this if my system is gonna be ready by November. I appreaciate any help you guys can give me! Thanks a lot!

Lyn Labahn

P.S. If anyone wants to know why I am computer illiterate now, I got into cars! OH man, I though computers were an expensive hobby! I am installing my new Ground Control Coilovers and KYB AGX struts this week. At least They won't be bottom of the line in 6 months ;)

k2lme

Oct 22, 1999
As I have it on the other display, have a look at
http://www.virtualhideout.net/overclocking/duron700/index.shtml
for the story on OCing Durons. It's a 700 but they're
all the same.

It's not "pin clipping" but bridges, cut
by AMD, that must be "penciled in" to reconnect them.
They allow certain OC functions to be reclaimed.

The only other comment I'd make is to get PC133 ram.
Otherwise you waste a lot of processing potential.