[HELP]After installing Asus EAH 4870 driver

HSLimMic

Jul 30, 2008
Please help.. I posted it in the Q n A section.. but i think that its not really the right place.. on my last post there i said that i sent to the workshop.. after 4 days.. i called them, he said that the problem still cant be solve.. please advise what should i do =(

Before installing the driver for the graphic cards, it works fine. but after the driver being installed, i cant get into the windows (sometimes).
the monitor is in black but i can still hear the window log in sound and a beeb (which seems like an error window popping out's sound)..

My specs:
Processors: Intel Core2 Quad Q9450
Graphic Cards: Asus EAH 4870
Motherboard: Gigabyte EP45-DS3
Windows: XP Pro
Monitor: E178FP 17-inch Black Flat Panel LCD Monitor from Dell?'

Someone please help me.. :'(

shangshang

May 17, 2008
Can you go into Safe Mode? If yes, then it could be a driver issues. Try removing the card in Device Manager in safe mode. Reboot the PC and to in regular mode, and hopefully XP will prompt you for the drivers again. Download the Cat 8.7 from ATI. See how this goes.

Also, if you can get in normal mode and load the 8.7 drivers, don't jump to the highest resolution yet. Start from 640x, then 1024x, etc. See if changing resolution progressively will blank your screen. Maybe your monitor is defective at the highest resolution.

It could be possible that you have a bad card. I've seen bad cards that'll work fine in safe mode, but will not work in normal mode (when the drivers start to push it hard; drivers don't load in safe mode so the card isn't being worked hard).

HSLimMic

Jul 30, 2008
thanks for the reply guys

well i can go to the safemode. after uninstall the graphic cards driver i manage to get into windows again. but after i install the driver (even with the 8.7 or the cd's driver) sometimes im unable to enter windows again..

sometimes i can get into the windows.. sometimes just black screen (with the window login sound, additional of some error beep's sound)

shangshang

May 17, 2008
...so SOMETIMES you can go into Window... and sometimes not??? Now when those times that you ARE able to go into Windows, is Windows graphics stable? or do you see broken graphics? does dragging the windows feel slow? does Windows crap out eventually anyway?

Try running Furmark during the times that you can get in Windows and see if the card will crash.

What's your previous vid card? ATI or NV? I'm thinking it could be drivers conflict, but it also could be a bad card, period!

Here's what I would do though. Reinstall XP fresh, then install the card + 8.7 drivers first thing, and see how Windows behave. If it's still crappy, then RMA/return the card. It's a lemon. If Windows is all OK, then you have a new machine. This is what I would do. Based on my experience, I'm leaning toward defective card scenario.

HSLimMic

Jul 30, 2008
Its actually a new pc, i just finish assembling it and installing the driver. previously im using dell's pc.

when i manage to get into the windows, it works perfectly normal. everything is perfect. just that when i sometimes restart or shutdown.. then sometimes im unable to enter the window.. currently im at the office i will check it out once i reach home.

anyone knows does my mobo support the graphic cards?

Gigabyte EP45-DS3

thanks lot for the reply

shangshang

May 17, 2008
Mobo looks fine to me. Hmm, so when you do manage to get in Windows, it works perfectly? Ok run Furmark then.

I'm now thinking it has to be software/driver issue, not hardware (and if you can get Furmark to run stable, then it's mostly likeky not hardware).

But if it's software, then what can it be? Wow, you're going to have to do some digging here. I'd use driver sweeper (link above) and remove everything and reintall Cat 8.7 (I know, you're sick of it).

I wonder if the "S3 power saver" mode is interfering with Windows shutdown? Go into the Bios and disable S3 to test for now. One of my old systems (years ago) whenever it goes into S3 mode, it's ok, coming out of S3 was ok too, but it was when I go to Shutdown was when the PC froze. Your symptom sounds a little different, but doesn't hurt to disable S3 in Bios for now. Update your Bios too.

What's your previous vid card?? Beter use driver sweeper (link above) just to be sure.

Now you said when the problem occured, you see a black screen, but hear sound??? OK, remove the sound card completely and reboot Windows serveral times. Could be your sound drivers. If the sound is coming from onboard sound, go into Bios and disable "onboard audio".

Also, is XP patched to SP2 minumum?

HSLimMic

Jul 30, 2008
@shangshang,
i downloaded the furmark and run it. it manage to complete the test and this is the results
http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/4066/furmarkoe7.jpg
the sound is actually causes by the missing driver of my soundcard, i manage to pinpoint this..

i suspects it got something to do with the asus utilities tools, when i install them the black screen came back..

i tried to play around with the gc's refresh rate. after setting the refresh at 60mhz the black screen less occurs.

shangshang

May 17, 2008
Hmm not sure what this Asus utility tool is all about, but if that's causing the black screen, then hell just remove it! It's just a utility, not something critical.

What's gc's refresh rate? I'm not sure what is gc and if that's causing this issue. If you run an LCD, you should just set it to 60hz refresh.

HSLimMic

Jul 30, 2008
the GC's refresh rate i meant is the graphic card's default refresh rate. i think the refresh rate were too high that my monitor unable to support, hence it blank.. but somehow i set it to 60mhz but still sometimes the black screen still appears

yes i removed the utilities (smartdoctor, csod and internet security video) actually do u know how can we set the fan speed for the graphic cards? i used to use the smart doctor.. but somehow after installing it, it seems to trigger the error.. i heard bout setting profile but i dun understand how =(

thanks shangshang for the continuous reply