Help a n00b understand "unlocked phone" and "activation"

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
I'll keep it short. I want to buy an unlocked phone (Android) outright and put it on my plan with AT&T. I already have an AT&T mobile plan with two phones on it. The original contract period for those two phones is long over.

One of those phones is dying. I plan to buy the new phone, drop the SIM from the dying phone in there and just use it. It is my understanding that I will need to call AT&T and tell them what I've done so they can activate the new phone. Other than calling them and maybe paying an activation fee, it's my understanding that this will all work fine and I will not incur any new charges since AT&T is not subsidizing the purchase of the new phone.

Am I correct? Am I missing anything? Thank you very much!

Joe1987

Jul 20, 2013
You should be able to just put the SIM card in the new phone and not have to contact ATT

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
As long as the phone I buy is a GSM phone (AT&T uses GSM) it should work, right? What I don't want to happen is that I save money buying my own phone and then AT&T charges me a $400 activation fee or something.

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
An unlocked phone refers to the device being free to have a SIM card put in from a different operator and have it worked.

For instance, a locked phone from AT&T, like a HTC One. If you but it, it will only take AT&T SIM's. But if it were unlocked, you could put a TMobile SIM in it and have it work.

Activation refers to having your carrier activate it on their network.

If the phone you are replacing is a smart phone, this is how you should proceed:
Buy the new phone. If it was originally on AT&T's network, then it doesn't matter to you of it was "unlocked" or not. If it was originally on TMobile, then it will need to be unlocked.

Get the new phone. Take the SIM card out of your old phone and put it in the new one, provided they're the same size card. Then carry on like everything is normal. The activation is tied to the SIM, not the phone.

If the new phone takes a different SIM size, then go to the AT&T store an ask them for a new SIM. They will give you one and activate it on your account and put it in your phone for you. Then you will be on your way.

You will not have to pay an activation fee or renew your contract. Not will it change the price of your bill.

What phone do you have and what are you looking to get?

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Wow bearxor, THANKS! That's the best damn explanation I've seen yet...and I've been Googling for a few days now.

I have an original Motorola Atrix. I'm looking at getting either a Nokia Lumina or an S4...those are the two my wife likes...the phone is for her.

IeraseU

Aug 25, 2004
As long as the phone I buy is a GSM phone (AT&T uses GSM) it should work, right? What I don't want to happen is that I save money buying my own phone and then AT&T charges me a $400 activation fee or something.

GSM phones can be locked via software to a specific carrier. So no, not every GSM phone will automatically work with AT&T. If it is an unlocked phone, such as the Nexus 5, then yes it will work. Of course, an AT&T branded phone will also work. Some phones, for example the international version of the Galaxy S4, will work with AT&T but only give you 3g data speeds.

I would recommend picking up a fully unlocked phone if you can. You can also go to 'swappa' and pick up an AT&T branded phone.

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
Ok, the Atrix 4G uses a MiniSIM, whereas anything you buy these days are going to use a MicroSIM. You will, most likely, have to change your SIM card out at a AT&T store.

At the same time, they're going to also change your plan. Don't panic. It won't extend your contract or even mess with your monthly amount. But they will have to change your data plan from the standard data plan to one compatible with LTE. But there's an equivalent plan for each network type. If you had unlimited, you keep unlimited. If you had 2GB, you keep 2GB. But the plan technically changes.

If you don't mind me asking again, what plans are you on? If you don't use buckets of data every month and you're more than willing to purchase your own devices in the future without needing to do a subsidy, there could be the potential there for some savings.

Last edited:

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Thanks guys. I am currently on the "unlimited talk/text and 10GB shared data" plan. We dont' use anywhere near 10GB, but it was a free upgrade from AT&T, as they are trying to compete with whatever Verizon is selling these days. I'm happy with AT&T and won't be switching carriers or anything like that.

I was hoping to not have to switch sims or deal with AT&T other than a phone call. I went to one of their retail stores yesterday and was not happy with the BS they were trying to sell me...that's why I'm buying my own phone. I want to make it as painless as possible.

If I have to get a diff size SIM, does it still keep the same number? My wife will not be happy if she has to change numbers.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
BTW, I am looking at fully unlocked phones, listed with "Carrier: AT&T" on EBay. I'm trying to minimize the risk of anything going wrong/not working.

notposting

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2005
The Nokia's run Windows Phone 8, btw. If she wants to stay on Android she won't be happy with that.

What about the Moto G? $199 brand new from Motorola for the 16GB model, off contract for the AT&T version...

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
Thanks guys. I am currently on the "unlimited talk/text and 10GB shared data" plan. We dont' use anywhere near 10GB, but it was a free upgrade from AT&T, as they are trying to compete with whatever Verizon is selling these days. I'm happy with AT&T and won't be switching carriers or anything like that.

I was hoping to not have to switch sims or deal with AT&T other than a phone call. I went to one of their retail stores yesterday and was not happy with the BS they were trying to sell me...that's why I'm buying my own phone. I want to make it as painless as possible.

If I have to get a diff size SIM, does it still keep the same number? My wife will not be happy if she has to change numbers.

Then you're on a good plan already. The 10GB plan is a pretty good deal.

Yes, you'll have go deal with the sales people. But I find it best to come in a pond tell the scheduler exactly what you want. Don't get sidetracked in to their small talk. They don't small talk for no reason. Its almost exclusively to find out what else they can sell you.

Yes, the phone number will stay the same.

BTW, I am looking at fully unlocked phones, listed with "Carrier: AT&T" on EBay. I'm trying to minimize the risk of anything going wrong/not working.

I'll just throw out some phone advice. Check out swappa.com. Great resource to buy used phones. You can buy anything unlocked or for AT&T. There's quite a few phones I'd suggest before a SGS4, like a HTC One, LG G2, MotoX or Nexus 5. All great phones, all LTE capable.

If you don't care about LTE, the motoG is a great choice and is plenty cheap. If you're interested in Windows Phone and coming from Android, I'd suggest a Lumia 520. You can get these BRAND NEW for $60 and they're fantastic devices. A great way to see if you'd like Windows Phone before spending a lot on it.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...-Nokia-Lumia-520-for-AT-T/productID.283842800

Otherwise, I'm hesitant to recommend any Windows Phone devices right now. The Lumia 1520 is probably the best one, but its huge. And it just came out so you're not going to find a lot of savings second hand. The problem is that everything else is based off a hardware platform that is 18 months old now. The only devices I could really recommend are the Lumia 1020 and 920. They're basically the same phone except for the huge camera. 920's only run around $200 used. But the hardware is just OOOLD at this point and there's new devices about a month away.

Last edited:

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
I'm not crazy about any Windows phones either...I will stay away from them. Thanks for the suggestions about other Android phones. I'm not real smart on what's a good phone or which model is which.

I will however, only buy a new, in the box phone. I know I can get a good deal buying used, but I'd rather buy it new with a full warranty, new battery, etc.

I've got about 20 diff IE windows open right now, checking things out...what a headache this is.

The rep at the AT&T store tried to talk to me about TV packages, etc. I simply told him "We have AT&T everything at home and I'm happy with what I've got. Let's talk about cell phones." But that conversation went south quickly, and here I am buying my own phone.

I am checking out all your suggested phones. Thanks a LOT for the help.

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
If you're only going to buy a new phone, then I see little reason to not do it through AT&T. You can get any phone through them and pay on it monthly.

The only exceptions would be the Nexus 5, MotoG and MotoX. They're going to be significantly cheaper purchasing them without going through AT&T. Otherwise you may save like $50 or something buying one outright from someone other than AT&T.

For instance, you and your wife can both get SGS4's for $50/mo over the next two years. Though I'd wait for SGS5 availability because the price of the 4 will likely drop or you'd be able to get the 5 at the same monthly rate as the 4.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Using the S4 as an example: Buying it outright from the AT&T store, they wanted $630 for it. It's on EBay starting at $400. That's not an insignificant difference. Also, the monthly payment thing doesn't save me any money. It just stretches out that $630 for forever.

Also, the main reason the conversation at the retail store went south was b/c I was told that "adding a new phone to my plan" would raise my monthly bill by $40. When I argued that I was not "adding" anything, I was REPLACING a phone, I was told "Only the two original phones on your plan are valid at the current rate. Adding a new phone to my plan, I lose the original discount." I argued for 30 mins about this and got nowhere.

If I can buy a phone outright and use it with my current plan without paying a penny extra every month, that's what I need to do. Why does this have to be so complicated? Ugh...this is why I stick with whatever phone I have until it dies...hate dealing w/this crap.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
It sounds like you understood the at&t guy. The only advantage for you buying an S4 through them is not having to come up with $630 all at once. There is no discount buying with them.

Buying through ebay could be risky if you are looking to buy new.If you go with ebay, make sure you are getting a receipt proving the phone is new.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Thanks, Muadib. I'm also looking at Amazon. I'd feel a little better buying through them than from EBay.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Pricewise, Amazon is not any better than at&t, when it comes to buying a phone outright.

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
Using the S4 as an example: Buying it outright from the AT&T store, they wanted $630 for it. It's on EBay starting at $400. That's not an insignificant difference. Also, the monthly payment thing doesn't save me any money. It just stretches out that $630 for forever.

Also, the main reason the conversation at the retail store went south was b/c I was told that "adding a new phone to my plan" would raise my monthly bill by $40. When I argued that I was not "adding" anything, I was REPLACING a phone, I was told "Only the two original phones on your plan are valid at the current rate. Adding a new phone to my plan, I lose the original discount." I argued for 30 mins about this and got nowhere.

If I can buy a phone outright and use it with my current plan without paying a penny extra every month, that's what I need to do. Why does this have to be so complicated? Ugh...this is why I stick with whatever phone I have until it dies...hate dealing w/this crap.

I don't think you misunderstood him either, but I don't think you know exactly why he was telling you.

When you changed your plan to the new 10GB Mobile Share Value Plan, you basically "made a deal" with AT&T. It was basically "In exchange for $25/mo off each line I have, I will not take a subsidy for a new phone."

That's why your phones are only $15/mo now. Because you don't have a phone under a subsidy. Now, if you were to go get a new phone under subsidy ($200 phone price) and sign a new two-year contract, your monthly rate per line goes back up to $40/mo.

You can do AT&T Next 18. That makes you pay full price for the phone over 26 payments. That works out to $25/mo per SGS4. That does not change your monthly per line fee of $15/mo but would add a $25/mo phone payment. So, $40/mo. The difference being that once you've paid the phone off, that $25/mo payment goes away. And you can pay the phone off anytime. If you want to pay $200/mo over a few months to pay the phone off, you can do that.

The only REAL way to save money is to buy lower end devices or buy used. I took a quick look on eBay and it looks like used ones to for around $400. Didn't see any new ones that weren't auctions and who knows where they'll end up at. But if you can find a good deal then go for it.

But remember the prices on SGS4's are going to fall in about a month or so.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
In some cases you're right (from what I've seen so far). But buying from Amazon or Ebay, I will not be paying an extra $40 a month to AT&T b/c I'm "adding a phone" to my plan. That makes me so mad...what utter BS.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Thanks for explaining that in detail, bearxor. I'll be mulling over my options over the next few days. The wife's phone hasn't totally died...yet. So I have some time to figure this out.

ImDonly1

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004
Duly noted, gents. Thanks again.

In case you needed links...
It is new, direct from google ("the google phone")
Unlocked and will work on att, tmobile, sprint, or other supported providers worldwide (will not work on verizon)

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_5_black_16gb
https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_5_black_32gb

If you needed to try it out in person, go to a t-mobile store. They might carry it.

Also the sales rep that you talked to probably was correct. The 10GB plan you signed up for gave you a monthly discount, but got rid of phone discounts in return. Read about what t-mobile is doing and att is trying to copy their plans.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Thanks for the links, ImDonly1. $350 is a nice pricepoint for me. I am assuming that if you buy the phone direct from Google, it's unlocked? It doesn't say on those pages (unless I missed it).