Help a math dummy get better, suggest a good math game

Thetech

Mar 12, 2005
I don't care if you recommend something that's not a PC game, it can be an online game or whatever. I have trouble with math and an addiction to games, if anyone could suggest a math game that could track my progress and get me addicted that would be great!

Thank you.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
What level of math are you looking for? I don't know of many games that involve more than elementary school stuff. I guess many puzzle-type games could be considered math based though, if you try to play them that way.

Try just reading wikipedia or planetmath articles on whatever topics you're having trouble with. I'm a math grad student but I always learn a lot of stuff that way.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
The only "fun" games in that genre (that I've found) involve Algebra 1 level math at best. Most adult math games are basically textbooks with quizzes, narration that sounds like a customer support computer, and a few flashy "games" that don't have much to do with the math.

That said, "The Time Warp of Dr. Brain" is an excellent general puzzle game. On "genius level" it can take me 3 hours to complete one puzzle. "Novice level" is meant for kids and is pathetically easy for adults.

There are 10 different types of puzzles (you can switch between types at will), each focusing on a different area of the brain (the manual explains what does what). Each puzzle category has anywhere from 10-infinity (some are randomly generated) puzzles. The game also has a nice, relatively mature time-travel theme. In short, ti's the ultimate puzzle book. Check it out:

Also, runs perfectly under XP

http://www.amazon.com/Time-War...rain-Mac/dp/B00082ZVZO

Thetech

Mar 12, 2005
I'm trying to be quick at basic addition and subtraction, it's not that I can't do it, it's just that I want to be quick and crafty.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Thetech
I'm trying to be quick at basic addition and subtraction, it's not that I can't do it, it's just that I want to be quick and crafty.

The game I mentioned will definitely help.

There's one game where you're given a sample of a potion, and a target potion. The objective is to (via processing the sample through 4 funnels in a machine) make the sample identical to the target.

There are 4 factors that need to be matched: Temperature, volume, Pitch (as in you tap the glass and the sound it makes), and color. There are 6 levels of each.

Each funnel either ads or subtracts one or more of the factors (sometimes all 4 on "genius level"), modifying the sample. If you go above or below the 6 levels, you fail and start over.

You can also reverse the direction of the funnels, and thus reverse their effects. (ie: something that would +2 Temperature and -1 Color would then -2 Temperature and +1 color)

In short, it will make your arithmetic skills insanely fast if you keep at it.

Also, there are 3 difficulty levels for every puzzle: Novice, Expert, and Genius. You can switch between the 3 at any time via the colored "potion containers" on the left of the game toolbar (you'll know them when you see them). The filled container is the level you are currently on (default = novice). Green = novice, yellow = expert, red = genius.

I know it's not the simplest explanation (I don't have screenshots), but give it a shot. It's $15 well spent.

Have fun :)

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
MATH BLASTER!!!! and ALGE-BLASTER - RED ALERT!!!! I played these games all the time as a kid. I guess I got really good at math, too.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Can't forget Number Munchers either. I used to play that and its sequel (Troggle Trouble) a lot in elementary school.

That said, "The Time Warp of Dr. Brain" is an excellent general puzzle game. On "genius level" it can take me 3 hours to complete one puzzle. "Novice level" is meant for kids and is pathetically easy for adults.

I have that game somewhere, although I don't think I ever got around to trying all the minigames in it. I'll need to load it up some time as I like puzzle games in general.

The original Castle game in the series was great though. It had plenty of cool puzzles (I can run through them easily now but it took me a long time to beat them back then) and actually played more like a first-person adventure game than the typical educational stuff.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Back when I was in Highschool we had a math game that had you writing out formulas to graph an equation to take out objects while avoiding obsticles. It was a fun game (To me, but I loved math), but I can't remember what it was called. Of course that was about 12 years ago - I feel old now :(

Thetech

Mar 12, 2005
Sorry about the very delayed response, I've been checking out everything everyone suggested, I've also been playing at brainarena.com

TecHNooB

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
The Quest for Dr. Brain or something along those lines. That was a fun and challenging game for me back in the day :)

angminas

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2006
It's been many years since I played it, so I don't remember how hard it was, but I really enjoyed Number Tumblers for the C64 when I was a kid. Maybe there's an updated version somewhere. Gameplay is similar to Qbert.