HELP - 6800 Problems in Games

Stangs55

Golden Member
Oct 17, 2004
This has been posted NUMEROUS times in the Blizzard World of Warcraft forums concerning the mouse issue (see below for a full explanation). It turns out, however, that many of the other gamers are having this same problem with other games as well. Blizzard's only response to this has been to either 1) go back to the 61 series driver (which does work, but I refuse to do) or 2) disable 'Hardware Cursor' in the options menu. Neither are an acceptable answer. So now I turn to trusty ol' Anandtechies for some answers...Is this issue a known nVidia issue? Is there a fix in site? Do any of the beta drivers that are out not have this problem? Anyone else experienced this? Advice?

I really hope that I can get some help in these forums seeing that Blizzard is ignoring us.... :(

Here is the link to my latest post about the issue (I've made about 100 of these):
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.a...ThreadID=244451

And here is the copied version:
----------------------
The mouse just stops responding after my computer has gone into screen saver mode. I'll start up wow and it'll work for a few minutes, but then the cursor hand will just stop moving; the mouse is still responding b/c things are highlighted as I mouse over them. I can fix it by minimizing to the desktop (where the mouse cursor icon doesn't respond either), changing my resolution to a different one, then changing it back. After that, I restart up WoW and it works fine for the rest of the game.

This problem has existed for as long as I've owned this game. I recently got so sick of it that I completely reformated my computer and have installed ALL of the latest drivers and updated my BIOS. WoW is the ONLY peice of software that I've put back on it besides Office 2003. Yet the issue still remains.

Blizz, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! do not tell me to disable hardware cursor...this is not a fix it is a workaround! I didn't buy a $70 mouse to let software run it.

Is this issue considered a "known issue" to you guys? Is there a forseable fix anytime in the near future? (and I'm sure you know that this is a much wider problem that just me...I've read countless posts on this same topic). Do you know of any other nVidia drivers that work (although this seems nothing short of absurd considering that I am using the latest WHQL official release). And btw, WoW is the ONLY game that this happens in.

System:
AMD FX-55
Asus A8V Deluxe Rev 2(BIOS 1009)
PNY 6800 Ultra (Forceware 71.84)
Soundblaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum (latest drivers)
4x 512mb OCZ Plat Pro Rev 2 DDR RAM
Logitech MX1000 (Setpoint 2.14)

Thank you.
---------------------------

Hyperlite

Diamond Member
May 25, 2004
Ironically enough, i had this same exact problem in EQ2. It ended up being an Issue with the Triple Buffer option.
Dunno if this helps or not, but good luck.

oh btw, it being a triple buffer issue leads me to the conclusion that there were discrepencies at times between the refresh rate of my card and what the game wanted, causing no visual change but the cursor icon would freeze.

Mrvile

Lifer
Oct 16, 2004
I had a slightly worse problem. I had downloaded and installed nVidia Utility or whatever it's called, nVidia's OCing tool, and after I looked at the program to make sure it was sensing everything I exited out of it and that's when my USB ports stopped working. My comp locked up, so I hard-rebooted the comp to find my mouse and keyboard not working.

So I tried everything I could think of, after switching over to PS2 adapters for both pieces I updated all drivers on my mouse, keyboard, motherboard drivers and bios, I tried all kinds of different USB devices, reformatted, attempted to contact MSI through phone but their phone lines didn't really work (ironically all my emails to them were responded to promptly), so finally I had to RMA my board. Monarchcomputer (who I RMA'd to) emailed me telling me that all the USB ports worked fine for them, but the motherboard "froze while installing Windows" or whatever so they replaced it anyway.

Your problem sounds much lighter, I hope it is the triple buffer issue above, good luck fixing it.

Stangs55

Golden Member
Oct 17, 2004
Originally posted by: nebuchanezzar
Check out http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=148297 and if you have SP2 then there is a known bug with the nVidia drivers. Hope that helps

Great...I'll give this a shot. I have been getting the random BSOD's, so this could help with those.

I'll also try, reluctantly, to disable triple buffering for the cursor issue if this doesn't take care of both. Thanks :)

Any other ideas?

Stangs55

Golden Member
Oct 17, 2004
Well, lol, turns out that after that bsod fix...I now have a new bsod I've never had before: "PFN_LIST_CORRUPT" 0x00000004e

ummm..... :(

Stangs55

Golden Member
Oct 17, 2004
Originally posted by: Hyperlite
Ironically enough, i had this same exact problem in EQ2. It ended up being an Issue with the Triple Buffer option.

oh btw, it being a triple buffer issue leads me to the conclusion that there were discrepencies at times between the refresh rate of my card and what the game wanted, causing no visual change but the cursor icon would freeze.

Hyperlite....um...I don't know how to say it....so i'm just going to come out and say it....I love you. Disabling triple buffer has solved all my problems. Amazing, 10+ emails to blizzard tech support, countless forum posts, and thousands of other ppl with the same problem and I never heard this suggested. You rock. Thanks a million!

ss284

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm still having popping issues with my 6800 ultra and audigy 2. Every now and then Id hear a popping/screeching sound. Anyone else have similar problems? It was fine before when I was using a 9800 pro.

My setup is pretty similar to yours' stangs, what drivers are you using for your audigy?

-Steve

Hyperlite

Diamond Member
May 25, 2004
Originally posted by: Stangs55
Originally posted by: Hyperlite

Hyperlite....um...I don't know how to say it....so i'm just going to come out and say it....I love you. Disabling triple buffer has solved all my problems. Amazing, 10+ emails to blizzard tech support, countless forum posts, and thousands of other ppl with the same problem and I never heard this suggested. You rock. Thanks a million!

No problemo, happy to help :D

hammermd

Nov 26, 2001
Okay, sorry to resurrect this issue, but the mouse cursor freezing problem happens with other games...namely, LOTR: Battle for Middle Earth, which has NO graphics options other than Ultra/High/Medium/Low Detail...in other words, there is NO WAY TO DISABLE triple buffering within the game...

Could someone please tell me how to manually disallow this feature in the nvidia drivers? I don't see any option for it in the driver control panel, but could it be called something else? Am I just SOL?

Thanks!

Edit: I also had the problem with WOW, and disabling triple buffering fixed it instantly, so I KNOW this is the solution...I just need a way to HARDCODE it into the driver, like forcing AA or V-Sync in a game from the drivers...

Also, ignore my sig...it's way out of date...I run a Dell Inspiron XPS2 w/6800 Ultra and Pentium-M chip now...jeez, when was the last time I posted in here? LOL...remember when the Swiftech MC462 was the hottest thing on the block? My den sounded like an aircraft carrier!

Edit2: Oh, and YES, for those of you laughing at my sig, the IBM DEATHSTAR RAID array did die on me...BOTH drives went bad within the same 2-week period and I lost all my data six months after I purchased the drives! Boy, I remember being upset when I learned they used the 'It-will-cost-us-less-in-lawsuits-than-it-will-to-fix-the-problem' solution so prevalent among corporations these days...! Right, sorry....just being pointlessly nostalgic...