Help! 1-3-3-1 "28 Autosize DRAM" Error - How to fix?

MSUman

Sep 19, 2001
Hello,

Can someone please help me with this? I bought a used PC, it booted fine, I reinstalled the OS (Windows ME) and ran "Windows Update". After the install Windows prompted me to "Restart". It went into it's normal thing and when it kicked the power off it came back with the 1-3-3-1 beep code!

I did a search and found out what it is but nowhere does it say how to fix it? Is this possible?

As a side note..... WTF is windows update doing to my PC.... P.O.S. Windows ME OS..... grrrr :/

Any help whatsover would be great!

MSUtiny

fredtam

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Did you upgrade the memory? If you did or if you didn't replace the ram with the reccomended modules. If it still doesn't boot odds are its the MB and its probably dead. As a last effort I would update the bios. Is this an HP?

MSUman

Sep 19, 2001
Thanks for the reply!

Yes, it is an HP..... why do you ask?

I didn't upgrade the memory at all, it was working and when the windows update finished it asked to reboot the pc. I clicked "Yes" and it all the sudden started making the beep codes!

fredtam

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
I would reseat the ram. If it has more than one stick I would remove one and see if that works. The error usually indicates bad or incompatible ram but since it was already in there I would assume it is compatible. I tried to upgade ram in an HP once and got the same error even when using the reccomended speed and supposedly supported size.

MSUman

Sep 19, 2001
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.......................... tried the re-seating thing to no avail.

I guess i'll have to figure out what the heck type of ram/speed this is and try buying some new stuff. It's the type of RAM that requires the dummy sticks be installed to operate... Rambus I beleive.

Anyone know how to find out the motherboard model and the supported RAM? I tried the HP website to no avail. :(