Hello All!

Bradtech519

Jul 6, 2010
Hope all you guys are doing well. Haven't been doing much DCing since my FX 8350 bit the dust. Got a Core I5 4590 currently doing some POGS throttled down to one core on stock cooling & running on my Galaxy s6 active when on charger at night. Hope all is well with everyone here/team AnandTech. Ryzen has me wanting to part off this rig & pick something up. At the very least getting better cooling for this rig.

Smoke

Distributed Computing Elite Member
Jan 3, 2001
Always great to hear from a TeAm Mate. Tell us what you are considering. Lots of options out there.

Orange Kid

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Welcome back. Good to see people still always coming back home. We are always a run what ya brung type, so thanks.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I've just run into the cooling problem myself for the first time on desktop. On my laptop I've been using Throttlestop to keep thermals decent for some time. It's usually more effective to run all cores slowly than to run just a few quickly.

Bradtech519

Jul 6, 2010
All my case fans are dead & I'm on stock intel cooler. With just one core running max I'm hitting 57-62c. Think 72c is max so I suppose 1 core is better than 0. More than likely going to look into new case & cooler or part out this rig to upgrade. Still got my AM3+ mobo as well from previous 8350 rig.

I've just run into the cooling problem myself for the first time on desktop. On my laptop I've been using Throttlestop to keep thermals decent for some time. It's usually more effective to run all cores slowly than to run just a few quickly.

Bradtech519

Jul 6, 2010
have you guys been following any ryzen rigs in various projects to see how the performance is? I've been looking into costs of finding a drop in replacement for my 4590. 4770/4790k i7 compared to getting a ryzen 5 rig. Also thought about just getting a good cooler for my 4590 and getting all four cores going.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
@Bradtech519, @Markfw has two 8-core Ryzens going. My understanding is that Ryzen is doing very well in various projects. It seems the level of performance in distributed computing applications is quite similar to what various web sites published in their Ryzen reviews as multi-threaded productivity benchmarks. I.e., per-core per-clock performance is in the ballpark of Intel Broadwell-E/EP (socket 2011-3 highend-desktop and Xeon respectively). Sometimes less, sometimes more.

We had a PrimeGrid challenge recently which had a FMA/AVX heavy workload (somewhat memory bandwidth heavy too), in which Intel Haswell and later are quite a bit ahead of Intel Ivy Bridge and earlier, and even farther ahead of AMD "construction" cores and earlier. Even in this workload, Ryzen had a really good output and even ran comparably cool under this load. (I don't think that we have precise numbers of a per-core, per-clock comparison from this challenge though because variable work units made that difficult.)

@Ken g6 already linked elsewhere to another PrimeGrid comparison:
http://www.primegrid.com/forum_thread.php?id=7323
The first application tested there, PrimeGrid GCW Sieve, is AFAIK not as FMA/AVX and RAM heavy as the LLR application of the recent challenge, hence this GCW Sieve is perhaps a little bit more typical for distributed computing applications.

From thread Computing comparison in BOINC for WCG between E5-2683 Intel and Ryzen 1800x:
Haswell EP, 14 cores @ 2.5 GHz: about 12,000 PPD
Ryzen, 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz: about 13,000 PPD
in World Community Grid, across all WCG subprojects.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
@Bradtech519, @Markfw has two 8-core Ryzens going. My understanding is that Ryzen is doing very well in various projects. It seems the level of performance in distributed computing applications is quite similar to what various web sites published in their Ryzen reviews as multi-threaded productivity benchmarks. I.e., per-core per-clock performance is in the ballpark of Intel Broadwell-E/EP (socket 2011-3 highend-desktop and Xeon respectively). Sometimes less, sometimes more.

We had a PrimeGrid challenge recently which had a FMA/AVX heavy workload (somewhat memory bandwidth heavy too), in which Intel Haswell and later are quite a bit ahead of Intel Ivy Bridge and earlier, and even farther ahead of AMD "construction" cores and earlier. Even in this workload, Ryzen had a really good output and even ran comparably cool under this load. (I don't think that we have precise numbers of a per-core, per-clock comparison from this challenge though because variable work units made that difficult.)

@Ken g6 already linked elsewhere to another PrimeGrid comparison:
http://www.primegrid.com/forum_thread.php?id=7323
The first application tested there, PrimeGrid GCW Sieve, is AFAIK not as FMA/AVX and RAM heavy as the LLR application of the recent challenge, hence this GCW Sieve is perhaps a little bit more typical for distributed computing applications.

From thread Computing comparison in BOINC for WCG between E5-2683 Intel and Ryzen 1800x:
Haswell EP, 14 cores @ 2.5 GHz: about 12,000 PPD
Ryzen, 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz: about 13,000 PPD
in World Community Grid, across all WCG subprojects.
The big problem with comparing the 14 core Haswell to 8 core Ryzen, with close performance, is the best you can get one of the Haswells for is $450 used (ebay) and 1600-3000 new.
Go with the Ryzen, but get 3200 14,14,14,34 for the memory. 2 sticks.

Edit: and get good cooling.

Reactions: Smoke