Hellgate: London

Piuc2020

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2005
I'm kind of interested in giving this game a whirl, I've recently played through Dungeon Siege II, Titan Quest and the Mythos beta and I want some more action RPG so I thought HG:L would fit the bill perfectly but I have one doubt, I've seen the game has gotten a lot of patches, including one very beefy one "The Stonehenge Chronicles" or something like that. Are those patches subscriber exclusive? Or can you still download them and use them for single-player?

Is the game even worth it for a single-player exclusive experience? Any thoughts?

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
The last patch added a bunch of stuff that was subscriber only. The earlier patches fixed a bunch of bugs and made many of the previous subscriber things open to all.

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
No, dead god no. Their support for the single player game can best be described as "There's a single player game?". The patch that was supposed to add the subscriber only hardcore and elite modes was broken, and their response to this was simply to remove the broken option, not to fix it. And then months of nothing.

They're entirely too busy nerfing anything that might make the multiplayer game fun to get around to ruining single player.

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
no point of playing Single-Player, it's just "Multiplayer minus other ppl"

there is no difference what so ever, either than the lack of patch for SP mode. I really don't know why they even bother with SP; you go thru the exact same thing in MP mode.

anyway, Stonehenge is for Subscriber only.

oh, in SP mode you need the CD in drive, and MP you don't.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
i like SP i put 100 hours into it and played it nearly completely through - twice - on "nightmare" for the 2nd time through!
-then it got *impossible* :(

Simply start it up in SP mode while you are connected to the net. If it is the first time, you will update your launcher .. then D/L the patch automatically

Hg:L runs MUCH better in DX10 on Vista 64 [than DX9 on Vista 32]
-My crossfire rig can run it fully maxed out with AA/16xAF - looks awesome but it repeats too much - if you like to *shoot*, it is OK

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
Originally posted by: PhatoseAlpha
Don't you end up suffering from lag and network problems that way?

noo... not at all. cuz when you are out of town and fight, you are all by yourself (unlike MMO ie WoW where there are other players in the same universe); you only see other players while in town. That is unless you "autoparty" / group with other players to fight, which imo is the now the redeeming factor for the game after i beat it the first time; thing does get repetitive but I guess that's what RPG is all about.

on the other hand, I must say the game is quite pretty.

hooflung

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2004
HGL MP content that you pay for is pretty good. I am a subscriber and its pretty nice getting the stone henge content. The next content patch looks to be 3 times better as the Stonehenge.

As for the MP vs SP... its more about being able to use the community for gear. Lag is pretty minimal but its not unnoticable. Its a fair trade. I like the game a lot and I have friends who I play with regularly that like it too.