Hellgate: London SP demo now available!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: pontifex
Originally posted by: MichaelD

The menu system/button system (i.e. move this thing to this slot and do something/click this to use this) is totally messed up. Almost every single shooter that has a ranged weapon/weapon w/a scope uses right-click to zoom. In this game it's "2." As in the number 2. :confused: WTF?

this isn't an FPS. zooming is actually a skill, thats why its on the menu bar. you can move it to the right side circle, beside your power sphere for the right click action. it takes power points when you use it and you can't move while using it. seems pretty worthless at this stage of the game though.

You know, I did notice that...I even upgraded it by a point IIRC. *shrug* It's just weird to me to have zoom be a skill. It's a basic weapon function, especially for a sniper rifle/weapon. Think about it. Anyone can use the zoom on a weapon, but "skill points" should make you shake/wobble less.

As Chaoticpenguin666 said, the fact that the weapons leave no bullet holes/scars/don't break glass irks the snot out of me too. I just forgot to mention that in my OP.

The game is cool, no doubt; but it doesn't make me want to run and buy it. It needs a LOT of work. Especially in the animations/actions/textures/physics departments.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: potato28
So is it a good replacement for Diablo 2, or do I have to go back to D2 again?

well, if you want a game that isn't anything like D2, other than cosmetically...

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
I played the beta for a few hours last night, and I liked it. I'll play it some more today. I don't really care that it doesn't have amazing graphics, I'm just looking for a mindless timewaster like D2 was :D

Engineer is cool :thumbsup: Having little bots go around and kill stuff is fun. The beta NDA has been listed, so we can talk about any part of it. It runs well enough, with only once memory-related crash bug. Unfortunately, whenever I exit the game via the in-game menu, it causes my system to hard-freeze, requiring a restart.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Canai
I played the beta for a few hours last night, and I liked it. I'll play it some more today. I don't really care that it doesn't have amazing graphics, I'm just looking for a mindless timewaster like D2 was :D

Engineer is cool :thumbsup: Having little bots go around and kill stuff is fun. The beta NDA has been listed, so we can talk about any part of it. It runs well enough, with only once memory-related crash bug. Unfortunately, whenever I exit the game via the in-game menu, it causes my system to hard-freeze, requiring a restart.

i much preferred the marksman (sniper + calldowns) and blademaster (slice n dice, baby! :D)

i'll end up buying HGL, but I don't think I will pick it up before crysis and GoW. i also have to convince my brother to buy HGL so we can play another diablo game together (we wasted so many hours on D2 it's not even funny)

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon

i much preferred the marksman (sniper + calldowns) and blademaster (slice n dice, baby! :D)

i'll end up buying HGL, but I don't think I will pick it up before crysis and GoW. i also have to convince my brother to buy HGL so we can play another diablo game together (we wasted so many hours on D2 it's not even funny)

Yeah one of my local LAN buddies was playing a marksman last night. Between my inhibitor and rocket bots, drone, and rocket launcher (which is sweet, btw :D) I could kill groups like crazy, and then he'd pick off any monsters that came through.

Will any of you guys be playing today, around 2pm cst?

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

Yeah one of my local LAN buddies was playing a marksman last night. Between my inhibitor and rocket bots, drone, and rocket launcher (which is sweet, btw :D) I could kill groups like crazy, and then he'd pick off any monsters that came through.

Will any of you guys be playing today, around 2pm cst?

i haven't played in such a long time, my characters might have been wiped. and i got a soccer game at 3 :( later tonight im game, though!

w3stfa11

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2006
Seemed pretty fun for a demo, but it was way too easy. Almost like leveling up to level 3 in Diablo II. As a hardcore D2 fan, it was underwhelming but then I heard HGL will have a hardcore mode too. I'm game. I've heard good things from people who have played the beta and apparently, it got an 89 from PC Gamer.

w3stfa11

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2006
Originally posted by: Dethfrumbelo
Originally posted by: Aikouka
I got into the MP beta the other day, so I guess I'll have to try that instead of this from what people are saying.

EDIT: Let's just hope it's interesting... I didn't play Mythos for more than a day, because it got kind of boring :eek:.

i don't understand how or why it would be any different other than playing with other people?

It wouldn't. The basic game(play) is lacking - adding more players or extras/frills isn't going to suddenly make it good.

Playing Diablo 2 multiplayer was 10x better than playing single-player, especially in hardcore mode.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007

Get Titan Quest. You won't be disappointed as long as you can live without a good multiplayer server. The Online community isn't near the size of D2, but the single player is amazing. I just wish it had randomized maps like D2.

w3stfa11

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2006

Judging from the demo, it's too early to tell. But maybe those who have played with the beta online have a better idea.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
"The servers will be down for maintenance until Sunday October 21, 2007 at 10:30am PST."

gg planning team, taking the servers down for the weekend.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: w3stfa11

Judging from the demo, it's too early to tell. But maybe those who have played with the beta online have a better idea.

definite diablo replacement. although i haven't played the beta recently, so you're better off asking someone who's played more recently.

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
I am a big fan of the Diablo series (especially Diablo 2: LOD).

This is the spiritual successor to the Diablo series.

I've played the demo and I enjoy it very much.

Simply put...I LOVE IT!!

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
Originally posted by: JPB
Ive never seen a transfer rate that fast in person. Post a reply of your percentage, to compare to my 500. Im now at....

72%

Yeah their throttle is hosed up. I started at 1.09 mbps. Level off to 1.01 mbps.

Pic

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

definite diablo replacement. although i haven't played the beta recently, so you're better off asking someone who's played more recently.

so basically the demo they gave us should not be used as a basis on whether to get the game or not? whats the point in making an utterly craptastic demo that doesn't even show how the game is?

either that or you guys have never played Diablo.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

so basically the demo they gave us should not be used as a basis on whether to get the game or not? whats the point in making an utterly craptastic demo that doesn't even show how the game is?

i dont know how big the diablo2 demo is (for comparative purposes; i just know it exists). but trust me, this definitely has the diablo feel to it.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007

i dont know how big the diablo2 demo is (for comparative purposes; i just know it exists). but trust me, this definitely has the diablo feel to it.

Ummm... no it doesn't. The animations for the D2 Demo were completed. The Character's were all but completed for the Demo (Paladin had a slightly different model) and the demo showed almost exactly what was in the completed version. Just to a small degree. The stats, exp, and loot were tweaked as to be expected.

If the Hellgate Demo is a small portion of what the finished game is going to play as... I doubt I will pay $20 for it.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Originally posted by: Chaoticpenguin666
If the Hellgate Demo is a small portion of what the finished game is going to play as... I doubt I will pay $20 for it.

Actually, if the demo is representative of the full game, I think $20 is just about perfect for a budget title.

Rage187

Lifer
Dec 30, 2000
Originally posted by: natep
They lifted the NDA for the beta, btw, if anyone wants to give some info.

is beta over?

Beta servers went down today but not sure if it was planned or server issues.

natep

Sep 27, 2005
Originally posted by: Rage187
Originally posted by: natep
They lifted the NDA for the beta, btw, if anyone wants to give some info.

is beta over?

Beta servers went down today but not sure if it was planned or server issues.

I think it's planned. It is supposed to be up by now.

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005
Beta was fun.

You are buying a crippled game unless you subscribe though. I had it pre-ordered, but with the recent annoucement of what non-subs don't get, I cancelled.

Sorry but I should not have to pay monthly for enough character slots for each class, or to play the game on it's hardest difficulty, or to play in Hardcore mode. And extra stash space should be something you aquire in the game, not pay real money for.