Hellgate: London gets a major update

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
i didn't see this posted ... it's been out a couple of days

http://www.hellgatelondon.com/patches/100

our first major update ? the Stonehenge Chronicles. We?ve got a lot in store for all of our players, so let?s get to it!

In this update, you?ll see the first of the big balance sweeps we?re doing on all of the character classes. Both the Guardian and the Evoker got a lot of attention this time around, and we hope that players of those classes will dig into how the classes play now. We?re making it simple for these players to get a handle on the new balances by allowing them to completely respec their characters.

PvP is starting to get more attention with the introduction of the Dueling Arena. This both makes dueling easier to accomplish and also gives us a better and more accurate way to track play habits and stats ? a key to really increasing this section of the game.

There?s also a whole slew of other overall improvements, tweaks, and additions, so take a couple of minutes to go through the release notes and see what?s new.

For our Subscription Members, we?re opening the portal to Stonehenge! This is a completely new area that not only has new items and monsters, but also completely new ways to experience the game.

The Essence Caves are the first of our non-linear style of play. You can repeat this long quest chain multiple times throughout the career of your character as it scales with your character (or party) level. The rewards are rich and many of them are unique to the Stonehenge area.

The Wild is also a new type of game play since it is focused exclusively on group play. You need big groups to have success out there ? and the deeper you get, the harder it gets. It?s time to get your friends together!

We?ve got lots more in store, and we?re working on every aspect of the game. Thank you all for your support over the past couple of months. We?re listening and doing all we can to make Hellgate: London what we all want.

They should have waited to release it this week :p

anyway, read the notes ... there are LOTS - about PvP and even respec'ing some classes .. i won't post it here

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
:thumbsdown:

The multiplayer-centric focus of this developer dissapoints and saddens me. I was very close to buying it till I found out the single player part were an afterthought.

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Raduque

The multiplayer-centric focus of this developer dissapoints and saddens me. I was very close to buying it till I found out the single player part were an afterthought.

isnt it supposed to be an MMO? hence the focus on multiplayer...?

invidia

Platinum Member
Oct 8, 2006
Originally posted by: Glitchny
Originally posted by: Raduque

isnt it supposed to be an MMO? hence the focus on multiplayer...?

It was like Diablo but in a futuristic setting. And like in Diablo, all the characters were able to solo most, if not all, of the game's content. A true MMO would require actually teamwork or playing with each other to accomplish the majority of the content.

I was very disappointed in the game, as I was a huge D2 fan.

Krakn3Dfx

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
Guild Wars offers everything Hellgate does and much, much more, with no monthly fee.

Hellgate is a failure in almost every sense of the word, I'm not sure hat these guys were thinking, but I think in the end Mythos will be the game they need to put all their efforts into.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
anyone know if i cancelled subscription, then reactivate, will i get the respec token?

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Is anyone actually subscribed here to comment on how the update is?

My copy of the game is long gone, but I am still interested to here what others think about it.

KT

Miklebud

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2002
Yeah...I stopped playing it a long time ago... no amount of patches justify the monthly fees.

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
dude, the patch was an epic fail. First the download link was frequently br0ke, used download manager and the patch file failed to update the game software. Right now I am 7 days out of hellgate and I think it will stay that way. thank goodness I didn't subscribe.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: andylawcc
dude, the patch was an epic fail. First the download link was frequently br0ke, used download manager and the patch file failed to update the game software. Right now I am 7 days out of hellgate and I think it will stay that way. thank goodness I didn't subscribe.

Wow, so it sounds as if things have not changed a bit in the 6 weeks I've been gone from the game. You would think they could have gotten their act together by now.

KT

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
Originally posted by: andylawcc

Wow, so it sounds as if things have not changed a bit in the 6 weeks I've been gone from the game. You would think they could have gotten their act together by now.

KT

turns out, it was the beta that was screwing things up. I took the advice of a hellgate forum member and uninstalled the game, delete the beta folder, and regedit-remove anything with "hellgate" and "flagship." Re-installed game, patched, and the game ran fine. There is a noticably improvement in graphics quality.

so, I must say Flagship tried to do something right, but failed in some other field quite miserably: They once removed 'Race'-specific sub-forums (like, forums for Blademaster only), it was all the rage for 5 days before they restored it, who was the numb nut who think it was a good idea in the beginning, and got the nod to remove them? They made me wonder how screw up it is behind the doors of Flagship Studios.

On the brightside, they do try to make things right, the game has been significiently more stable and the multiplayer aspect has gotten more fun.