Hellgate first impressions?

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PiMpY

May 27, 2003
This game is highly enjoyable. I'd say 8.4/10 SP only.

Have a marksman up to lvl 14 and having a blast capping everything.

The more I play this game the more I keep thinking Fallout 3. Can anyone else see this as a great game to model F3 after?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: PiMpY
This game is highly enjoyable. I'd say 8.4/10 SP only.

Have a marksman up to lvl 14 and having a blast capping everything.

The more I play this game the more I keep thinking Fallout 3. Can anyone else see this as a great game to model F3 after?

NO!!!! HELL NO!!!

PiMpY

May 27, 2003
Slower paced with a more intricate storyline.
Not hack and slash, but fallout style.

I'd much prefer this than Oblivion with guns, but I truthfully don't know the route F3 is going.

Huge towns to explore, some in depth quests, NPCs who speak with meaning.

Much less total enemies, enemies are harder to kill, more emphasis on strategy and tactics.
Slow down the gameplay and focus on interesting quests.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Much slower paced and way more intricate story.

I'd much prefer this than Oblivion with guns, but I truthfully don't know the route F3 is going.

Much less total enemies, enemies are harder to kill, more emphasis on strategy and tactics.
Slow down the gameplay and more focus on interesting quests.

huh? neither game seems to have much of a story. HGL is way faster paced than Oblivion. HGL doesn't have huge towns, in depth quests, or NPCs who speak with meaning.
Way more monsters than Oblivion also.

have you even played Oblivion?

Dethfrumbelo

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2004
Originally posted by: pontifex

huh? neither game seems to have much of a story. HGL is way faster paced than Oblivion. HGL doesn't have huge towns, in depth quests, or NPCs who speak with meaning.

As puketastic as it sounds... the lesser evil would actually be Oblivion with guns. FO3 done HGL style... don't want to even think about that.

PiMpY

May 27, 2003

Detracting the thread from HGL, but I'm talking about FO3 with these features compared with HGL.

I've played Oblivion, around 40 hours but from what I've played of this game, HGL is closer to what an ideal FO3 to me would be, than oblivion.

Jules

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Played some of the single player. Glad my buddy let me borrow it because i just don't like this game :(

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Miklebud
Originally posted by: apoppin

if so, then i guess i have a few more hours with it
:Q

"time Invested"?
... in a game?

you mean wasted
:D

LOL. Wasted sounds about right. Nightmare is infact just that, a nightmare! Enemies are substantially harder. So if you were to shoot for level 50, it will take you a long long time to make it there. ;)

Thats my goal, to make the level cap of 50. And I'll have fun doing it!

Me too ... and i thought i would just put it away when i finished the Final Boss [i don't remember getting him in the MP at all]
:confused:

AND there were NO cutscenes for me online :( ... it's SO much better off the DVD ... anyway, i took a Summoner thru the game [and if you don't hurry it is much easier then Engineer - 11 elementals + your enraged creature streaming damage can take out a mob or Boss much easier then the drone, bots and strikes although invisibility cloak saved him].

i love this game SO much i didn't even CARE i had no forum or internet for over a week - i canceled my "high speed" internet service and my Vista modem failed the next day :p
-so i just took a break and played thru Hg:L now on the THIRD time to completing it; now on nightmare difficulty [ist was BladeMaster to the end of the beta /then Engineer to final/ then Summoner to final and now Summoner again on the way to final on nightmare

it just gets more interesting - you *ignore* the same quests and just head for battle ... it takes FOREVER to level up and you are presented with huge mobs of opponents that are 3 or 4 levels higher then your char is. ... BUT you get great weapons and armor and are always looking forward to your next skill point or upgrading your weapon as everything is "doable" if you are clever ... right now i have stashed some GREAT weapons that are a level higher then Max is. ;)
--and i am a LOT *smarter* the 3rd time thru ... i explored the British Museum completely and cleared it ... THEN entered the Hellgate ... exited in the nearby Portal to make the time limit and then returned to clear everything again *first* - having prescient knowledge of the location of the Emperor - and then dispatched him back to hell easily and quickly
:evil:

so it lures you on and on ...

addicting

and i love it
:heart:

Level 50 here i come!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and they better hurry with the expansion ... i bet the level 50 cap gets removed ... screw playing it online; they need something beyond great to attract me now

SP Hg:L has saved me hundreds of $$$ not buying ANY other new game ...
--by the time i finish, the other games will be bargain bin [and patched]
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
poppin, did you download the new Cats? I installed them yesterday and now I can finally use DX10 in this game. It looks much better in my opinion. :thumbsup:

Too bad I do not have the enthusiasm for the game you do. I downloaded the latest patch and started playing some more last night and I got to a whopping level 16 on my Marksman, but I just felt bored and frustrated after playing for about an hour.

Plus, I can't use a bunch of the gear I have because my Will is nowhere near high enough and there is nothing I can do about thatt except feed skill point into my will as I level going forward I guess. Why the hell would I want so much Will on a Marksman anyway?!!??

Maybe I picked the wrong class? Kind of frustrating. :frown:

KT

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
With online.... I got the cutscenes however I didnt have subtitles. It looks just awesome the cutsceneson an HDTV.

Now my lvl 28 normal Engineer is retired, started yestersay and now I have a lvl 11 Elite Summoner. I cant wait until I get to face off against some meaty boss or at least get some better creatures. Im building a Warper/Elemental build with Warper and Fire Eles as my main damage, Force elementals as my tanking force.

Elite doesnt feel that much harder than normal however I have only just recovered the first piece of the Oracle.

DX9 Vs. DX10.... DX10 is still graphically broken for me with my 8800GT, Nvidia's patchnotes do not indicate any improvements made for Hellgate London for their last few patches. The DX10 performance is too poor for me to go with it, Im sticking with DX9 @ 720p and every option on and maxxed including AA.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
poppin, did you download the new Cats? I installed them yesterday and now I can finally use DX10 in this game. It looks much better in my opinion. :thumbsup:

Too bad I do not have the enthusiasm for the game you do. I downloaded the latest patch and started playing some more last night and I got to a whopping level 16 on my Marksman, but I just felt bored and frustrated after playing for about an hour.

Plus, I can't use a bunch of the gear I have because my Will is nowhere near high enough and there is nothing I can do about thatt except feed skill point into my will as I level going forward I guess. Why the hell would I want so much Will on a Marksman anyway?!!??

KT
of course not KT :p

did i not just find my XP 56K dial-up modem this morning? now it'll take a couple of hours to D/L

How does DX10 run compared to DX9? i expect DX9 is still smoother at least for another patch or two

Marksman didn't look interesting to me ... it is "sneak" and long-distance damage; i don't have that kind of patience except for Thief and i still went "Rambo" when i could on the guards].

Will allows you to do certain things; for a Summoner, will is crucial - i am a bit unbalanced in that my armor is low Stamina but my offensive is very high [if the NPCs ever break thru my defenses, i have to run [ande keep a portal handy to heal back at the station; sometimes i have to start in ANOTHER map just to have a full compliment of minions when i return to clean-up the Demon scum

they always want you to "struggle" ... it is mankind and his hopeful cleverness against the limitless [and leveling with you] demons

start over if you want to be in their faces ... pick Blademaster ... if the minions weren't so fun, i would prefer Blademaster ... who knows ... i might make ANOTHER BM for nightmare :p

:laugh:

i am that addicted
[saving money and not missing a thing]
:cool:

Elcs i forgot to mention, i am just using 10 fire elementals [and another one that does the phase explosion spell] and building my Creature into a tank. How does "elite" differ from "nightmare" ? ... nightmare pits you against NPCs demons 3 or 4 levels above you

i am not going back with it online :|

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005

KT

did i not just find my XP 56K dial-up modem this morning? now it'll take a couple of hours to D/L

How does DX10 run compared to DX9? i expect DX9 is still smoother at least for another patch or two

Marksman didn't look interesting to me ... it is "sneak" and long-distance damage; i don't have that kind of patience except for Thief and i still went "Rambo" when i could on the guards].

Will allows you to do certain things; for a Summoner, will is crucial - i am a bit unbalanced in that my armor is low Stamina but my offensive is very high [if the NPCs ever break thru my defenses, i have to run [ande keep a portal handy to heal back at the station; sometimes i have to start in ANOTHER map just to have a full compliment of minions when i return to clean-up the Demon scum

they always want you to "struggle" ... it is mankind and his hopeful cleverness against the limitless [and leveling with you] demons

start over if you want to be in their faces ... pick Blademaster ... if the minions weren't so fun, i would prefer Blademaster ... who knows ... i might make ANOTHER BM for nightmare :p

i am that addicted

Haha, well get on it!! :p

DX10 is just as smooth as DX9 for me and the graphical improvements are definitely noticeable. Walking through some of the sewers, with water dripping and pools at your feet, just looks awesome. Even the overall look of the environment is improved.

I think I may scrap my Marksman, because I just can't bear to play him anymore. Summoner sounds kind of fun. I would try Blademaster, but I hate the idea of having to play in 3rd person. :(

KT

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

KT

i am that addicted

DX10 is just as smooth as DX9 for me and the graphical improvements are definitely noticeable. Walking through some of the sewers, with water dripping and pools at your feet, just looks awesome. Even the overall look of the environment is improved.

I think I may scrap my Marksman, because I just can't bear to play him anymore. Summoner sounds kind of fun. I would try Blademaster, but I hate the idea of having to play in 3rd person. :(

KT
the display driver will only take ... an hour :(
[but i am paying 1/10th what i paid for garbage "high speed" over Flashbyte]

actually i like 3rd person and freely switch back and forth :p

i am really like the look of the water in the bottom of the tunnels in DX9 ... --i'm lookng forward to DX10

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

KT

i am that addicted

KT

i've been getting bored with my marksman also. started up a blademaster,. that was more fun. although, i haven't really been palying much of this game lately. CoD4 MP has been taking up most of my time.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Elcs i forgot to mention, i am just using 10 fire elementals [and another one that does the phase explosion spell] and building my Creature into a tank. How does "elite" differ from "nightmare" ? ... nightmare pits you against NPCs demons 3 or 4 levels above you

What creature do you have? The Carnagor?

Once you complete normal, that character has the chance to go to Nightmare.

It also unlocks Elite for any new characters. Its exactly the same game only harder from the word go. Monsters may be the same areas, same quests but they have more HP, there seems to be more of them, they hit harder and theres probably twice as many Rare/Epic/Legendary around. Once you have finished Elite Normal, theres always Elite Nightmare to contend with which is harder than normal Nightmare.

Its a game mode similar to Hardcore. It is a mode chosen at character creation which cannot be switched off later.

Im going to get probably 4 Force Elementals, I am sitting on 5 Fire with good Mastery on them for now. Carnagor on a weapon, he doesnt die that often. Might see what other elementals take my fancy although the boards are quite clear that Spectral Elementals are rather crap.

Oh and of course, 1 point in The Reaper!!!

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005

KT

i am that addicted

KT

i've been getting bored with my marksman also. started up a blademaster,. that was more fun. although, i haven't really been palying much of this game lately. CoD4 MP has been taking up most of my time.

I hear you. Going to pick up CoD4 and Crysis after work (though I'm still on the fence about Crysis because I do not want EA to have any of my momeny anymore), so I may shelf this game for a bit if the Summoner does not blow me away with its awesomeness!

KT

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Elcs

What creature do you have? The Carnagor?

Once you complete normal, that character has the chance to go to Nightmare.

It also unlocks Elite for any new characters. Its exactly the same game only harder from the word go. Monsters may be the same areas, same quests but they have more HP, there seems to be more of them, they hit harder and theres probably twice as many Rare/Epic/Legendary around. Once you have finished Elite Normal, theres always Elite Nightmare to contend with which is harder than normal Nightmare.

Its a game mode similar to Hardcore. It is a mode chosen at character creation which cannot be switched off later.

Im going to get probably 4 Force Elementals, I am sitting on 5 Fire with good Mastery on them for now. Carnagor on a weapon, he doesnt die that often. Might see what other elementals take my fancy although the boards are quite clear that Spectral Elementals are rather crap.

Oh and of course, 1 point in The Reaper!!!

yeah, Carnagor :p

... spectral is OK ... if they hang back ... if they rush the enemy they are easily toast ... i am not putting much more into it [1st level]
Hint: i really should know that by now :eek:

and , unless i am mistaken, you have to pay for elite ... with a sub, right?
-it was not available to me in the SP experience; all i unlocked in both the SP and MP experiences was 'nightmare' ... and i even started a Blademaster over [SP] although it isn't too much more difficult then 'normal' for the 1st 3 levels; starting over in nightmare with the Summoner got really hard right after the 1st [Holborn] Station.
--or am i confusing 'hardcore' with 'elite'?

AVP

Jan 19, 2005
Anyone else a little disappointed with the game? I am playing a marksman right now and I might try something else like you guys, though I really like the twitch aspect of it. The thing that bugs me, however, is the repetition of the environments and the enemies. I am only level 12 and maybe the game changes a bit, but its rather boring at the moment. That, and no one really groups or anything. Do acts 3-5 change up at all? I hear good things coming in the future for the game, though doubtfully at a pace and depth that makes me want to keep it for the long run.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: AVP
Anyone else a little disappointed with the game? I am playing a marksman right now and I might try something else like you guys, though I really like the twitch aspect of it. The thing that bugs me, however, is the repetition of the environments and the enemies. I am only level 12 and maybe the game changes a bit, but its rather boring at the moment. That, and no one really groups or anything. Do acts 3-5 change up at all? I hear good things coming in the future for the game, though doubtfully at a pace and depth that makes me want to keep it for the long run.

I'm in Act 3 right now (level 16 Marksman as stated above) and am feeling the same as you. I feel I have really only seen 2 unique environments/dungeons/whatever so far, but I am told they start repeating those later on as well. :(

The chat is totally messed, because they break everyone up into a million little channels so you are really only in chat with about 10 other people. It is totally ludicrous. :confused:

I have decided I am going to roll a Summoner and see how that goes for a bit, but if I get the same feeling after about 10 levels or so I will probably just give this game away. It's a shame really, because I had a blast in beta, but I think the novelty has begun to wear off for me.

KT

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Apoppin - I could have sworn that Elite was a Sub package only in the Beta stages but was opened to all level 12 and im rocking up the 4th part of the Oracle.

I went for Spectral and so far at level 12, I am not regretting two points in him. He helps my Carnie no end at the minute.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: AVP

I'm in Act 3 right now (level 16 Marksman as stated above) and am feeling the same as you. I feel I have really only seen 2 unique environments/dungeons/whatever so far, but I am told they start repeating those later on as well. :(

The chat is totally messed, because they break everyone up into a million little channels so you are really only in chat with about 10 other people. It is totally ludicrous. :confused:

I have decided I am going to roll a Summoner and see how that goes for a bit, but if I get the same feeling after about 10 levels or so I will probably just give this game away. It's a shame really, because I had a blast in beta, but I think the novelty has begun to wear off for me.

KT

I feel the same as both of you. This game is incredible, but I just can't take the boredom of every level being exactly the same. I'm done. Its a shame, this game could have been great.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Elcs
Apoppin - I could have sworn that Elite was a Sub package only in the Beta stages but was opened to all level 12 and im rocking up the 4th part of the Oracle.

I went for Spectral and so far at level 12, I am not regretting two points in him. He helps my Carnie no end at the minute.
i still can't find the 'elite' option

... and something [bad] happens around the Green Park Station :p

Damn is this game getting *hard* on nightmare level ... my Summoner gets pitted against demons 10 levels above him ... it takes all 11 elementals Plus the Enraged Creature to take down a single NPC ... each in about 1-2 minutes [better hope his friends don't show up]

i am not so sure what to do ... it now takes *hours* to level up ... and you are stuck with blasting a SINGLE demon at a time :(
-i have all this great gear ... but not enough skill points to use it
[and no matter what i would have done, it would still be almost impossible]

... i think they need to patch it or it will get *tedious* for everyone on nightmare who is replaying thru it ... IF i wanted level 50, i expect it is another 100 hours off

forget it

Hg:L gets put away till the expansion .. and MP is garbage for me for now

as to DX10:
--Performance is slightly worse with DX10 on my rig
-i had to lower some details [shadows to med/no AA] to equal DX9 performance
---frankly, the water at the bottom of the tunnels looks more "realistic" in DX9, but DX10 has the cool shadows and particle effects and smoke

--my final verdict on Hg:L:
7.8/10 for SP [4/10 for MP]

fun and addicting but flawed

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Level 15 Elite... just hit the Savoy and I am absolutely rocking.

Monsters are harder, its tougher, faster pace due to what looks like 1.5 times the amount of monsters per room. Corrupters, Orbiles and the like are all much more deadly carrying around in bigger packs. My Carnie and 1 Force Elemental are tanking well, Level 4 Spectral Elemental providing reasonable phase and the Fire Elementals are just getting owned but they do some amazing damage when brought into the fight properly.

DX10 is terrible on my 8800GT. I can max out DX9 totally and get 40-60 normal (Vsync TB) and 15 in fire places this is at 1280x720. In DX10 all options off, Id be lucky to get the same kind of frames. This is with the 13.11 Nvidia Beta drivers, just noticed 169.12's are up so I'll try those.

DX10 looked awesome besides the couple of glitches it had which meant Hellrifts werent visible etc.

Id give it an 8/10, could have easily and I do mean easily been game of 2008. (probably when it should have been released)

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Id give it an 8/10, could have easily and I do mean easily been game of 2008. (probably when it should have been released)

you are .2 points more generous then i am :p

--close enough for demon hunting
rose.gif

are you playing it off the DVD or still online?
-no "elite" option for me :(

"nightmare" becomes just that ... t-e-d-i-o-u-s ...:p
-LMK how you go up against Demons that are TEN levels higher then you are
[all i can think of is to *replay* lower levels ... but then you get very little 'credit' for terminating lesser demons]

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Online.... Singleplayer is absolutely pointless with a stable/reasonable ping internet connection. It gives me access to the best patches, latest updates, tweaks and also access to Elite (non-sub perk)

I may subscribe if they announce some decent additional content. I am loving Elite so much, this is what the game is all about.