Hellgate first impressions?

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
Originally posted by: apoppin
i am *done* with it ... it became *impossible* on Nightmare ... especially since you are capped at level 50 and the enemy NPCs continue to level up

Did you install the MS hotfix for large addressing or are you using 64-bit?
The 'out of memory' messages stopped after i installed it - and especially after the patch. i also found that shadows set to 'medium' really helped.

yes, they could have done a LOT better for $25 million :p
:roll:

Give *me* twenty-five million and i'll make a REAL game in 5 years
:D

Yea it wouldn't even launch for me without the hotfix (sucks it gets called an MS hotfix when it's addressing stupid behavior on an application's part.). For me the game wouldn't even start without it (7950gx2 -1gig video ram plus a 256? MB 7600 driving the second monitor).

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Smilin
i am *done* with it ... it became *impossible* on Nightmare ... especially since you are capped at level 50 and the enemy NPCs continue to level up

The 'out of memory' messages stopped after i installed it - and especially after the patch. i also found that shadows set to 'medium' really helped.

Yea it wouldn't even launch for me without the hotfix (sucks it gets called an MS hotfix when it's addressing stupid behavior on an application's part.). For me the game wouldn't even start without it (7950gx2 -1gig video ram plus a 256? MB 7600 driving the second monitor).
i am kinda curious about this "hotfix"
[it is a MS hotfix, after all since MS "fixed" it :p]

It appears that a few modern games - i.e. Supreme Commander, CoH, Hg:L, STALKER and probably The Witcher - have serious issues with the 2 GB barrier and Vista32's memory management.

What really happened happened in these games? Did the devs not take into account Vista's extra overhead [over XP] or not think ahead to 512MB and 1GB vRAM GPUs ... or something else?
:confused:

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
i have to bring this up ... this afternoon i added +2GB of PC6400 for a total of 4GB in Vista 32 [3.6GB total physical memory now]

- i can now play in *maxed out* DX10 better than i could play before with [almost] maxed out DX9. That includes no-AA/maxed-AF at 16x10 in DX10!!!
rose.gif

---AND i played for *hours* to really test it out [Level 50 took forever to get to the Marker in the 5th Necropolis Deep ... it was wall-to-wall Zombie Summoners and Ghoul Lords ... literally overlapping each other - Max was Level 50 and they were 57/58.
:Q

Hg:L is the *first* game in DX10 i have played with decent FPS ... the devs kept their promise and fixed the memory leak.
-It should have been released last week.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Anyone want my copy of this game? I just can't stomach playing it anymore.

Just pay shipping and it's yours. PM me.

KT

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: KeithTalent

KT

I've just ordered my UK version,hope the game is at least decent,anyway will find out soon :).

Lslarry876

Oct 29, 2007

KT

I'll take it lol, I'll PM you, thanks.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Lslarry876

KT

CRAP!
I didnt want to pay 50 bucks for it, but just shipping costs is another matter.
Oh, well. You snooze, you lose.

I have to admit as time goes on and this game gets patches I am more and more interested in it.
But I have to beat Titan Quest first. Then I want to look at about 5 other games.
This year was way too busy for me, too many interesting games came out for the holiday season.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: shortylickens

KT

CRAP!

I have to admit as time goes on and this game gets patches I am more and more interested in it.
But I have to beat Titan Quest first. Then I want to look at about 5 other games.
This year was way too busy for me, too many interesting games came out for the holiday season.

UK members here can get the game at a decent price £17.99 (about $35)inc free delivery from here .

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002

It appears that a few modern games - i.e. Supreme Commander, CoH, Hg:L, STALKER and probably The Witcher - have serious issues with the 2 GB barrier and Vista32's memory management.

What really happened happened in these games? Did the devs not take into account Vista's extra overhead [over XP] or not think ahead to 512MB and 1GB vRAM GPUs ... or something else?

Basically Vista (and direct X) handle virtualizing video memory so you can have a "copy" in system memory that isn't really consuming much space. Instead of relying on this applications are instead making their own copy of video memory. The apps copy is only managed by the app so burns up the applications virtual address space (2GB per app) real fast. Part of the problem is vista using more virtual address space for graphics but the real problem is app developers still writing things the same way they did back in 2005.

Regardless, 2GB (or even 3) of address space per app is starting to get pretty small. 64bit is the answer. Supreme Commander running full tilt with thousands of assets and dual monitors blazing away is lucky to run at all on a 32 bit machine I think.

With Hellgate...My guess is that it's just a chunk of shit.

Here's the "update" (not hotfix :/ )...
940105 Virtual address space usage in Windows game development
http://support.microsoft.com/d...x?scid=kb;EN-US;940105

Note: If it's real bug in MS code they always put the "Microsoft has confirmed this problem in the products listed above" line at the bottom of the KB.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

Basically Vista (and direct X) handle virtualizing video memory so you can have a "copy" in system memory that isn't really consuming much space. Instead of relying on this applications are instead making their own copy of video memory. The apps copy is only managed by the app so burns up the applications virtual address space (2GB per app) real fast. Part of the problem is vista using more virtual address space for graphics but the real problem is app developers still writing things the same way they did back in 2005.

Regardless, 2GB (or even 3) of address space per app is starting to get pretty small. 64bit is the answer. Supreme Commander running full tilt with thousands of assets and dual monitors blazing away is lucky to run at all on a 32 bit machine I think.

With Hellgate...My guess is that it's just a chunk of shit.

Here's the "update" (not hotfix :/ )...
940105 Virtual address space usage in Windows game development
http://support.microsoft.com/d...x?scid=kb;EN-US;940105

Note: If it's real bug in MS code they always put the "Microsoft has confirmed this problem in the products listed above" line at the bottom of the KB.

Thanks for the reply ... the *reason* i brought it up was this thread in Video:

32 bit is no longer valid/High end starts at 64

i am contending that today's 32-bit games won't benefit practically from being on a 4GB rig with 64-bit Vista over a otherwise identical Vista32 rig with 4GB of RAM.

As often times happens in Video, the debate got long, heated and finally ... personal ... especially since there are very few articles, tests or facts written on this subject

So ... we are doing the first "in house" testing of 4GB rigs with 32bit vs. 64-bit Vista for gaming to see if we can see any performance differences.
Stay tuned.

i got the .... um, update awhile back ... it made the Hellgate Beta playable. ;)

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I installed the game,I notice you have two install options,one was " advanced options" I presume that's 64 bit install which is the one I went for.

Also what are the hardest classes to play?

I started playing as marksmen which seems easy so far,no crashes so far(level 7 at the moment).
Marksman skills I'm not sure on since they seem well not all that great.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Mem
I installed the game,I notice you have two install options,one was " advanced options" I presume that's 64 bit install which is the one I went for.

I started playing as marksmen which seems easy so far,no crashes so far(level 7 at the moment).

I've played Marksman, Guardian, Evoker, and Summoner and none of them are actually hard to play. Guardian was the easiest though.

The Marksman skill tree is really quite useless right now, so I don't recommend playing them. I stopped playing my Marksman a while back because of this.

Of all the classes I played, the Summoner was far and away the most fun, due to the variety of pets and skills you can use.

Apoppin, of course, can comment better than I can, but I thought I would at least share my experience.

KT

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Mem

I've played Marksman, Guardian, Evoker, and Summoner and none of them are actually hard to play. Guardian was the easiest though.

The Marksman skill tree is really quite useless right now, so I don't recommend playing them. I stopped playing my Marksman a while back because of this.

Of all the classes I played, the Summoner was far and away the most fun, due to the variety of pets and skills you can use.

Apoppin, of course, can comment better than I can, but I thought I would at least share my experience.

KT

I sort of figured the skills were useless after a few levels,anyway I'll carry on playing as marksman until the end unless something drastic happens or I get very bored with my character.

As regards to apoppin,I already had a quick pm chat like we always do about games .

:)

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
The hardest class for me was BM, you will die a lot more than other classes by a factor of 10.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: shortylickens

KT

CRAP!

you can have mine for $25 shipped. pm me if you want it.