HELL WEEK at work

Namuna

Platinum Member
Jun 20, 2000
It's almost 9pm and I'm still at work.

There's a NASDAQ Tech in my Server room right now who could turn to dust at any moment he's so old, and he's rebuilding the goddam server (with UNIX OS) from a manual and somebody walking him through on the phone! What are the F*CKING chances that they'll EVER send a COMPETENT TECH out to troubleshoot? Not only do I have to wait for Grandpa MAGOO to finish, I'm going to have to head out to the floor and make sure the damned thing is working right on my users' machines!

As if THAT ain't enough, I've got a HOSED Backup Recovery App at the same time. Legato Networker is an OOOZING, FESTERING PUSS-LUMP of a goddamn application. It's as intuitive as a LIMP D!CK.

This week started with a wonderful power Blackout for about an hour throughout 1/2 my floor on Monday.

I can't wait to see what tomorrow will be like.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I find your post tragically comical. Comical because it just is and tragic because I think I understand where you're coming from. I have not had the pleasure of administering an important network but I do work in IT and weeks of bored laziness, web surfing, and listening to music, can all of a sudden be replaced with monumental levels of stress as something mission-critical fails and the company is left hanging.

Namuna

Platinum Member
Jun 20, 2000
I'm goin to bed LATE tonight and i'm gonna wake up LATE AS HELL.
Then I'm gonna call-in to work and tell em that since I had to work SO LATE I got up a little late.

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000
Why not set up the damn thing yourself and tell Magoo to go smoke his pipe in front of the fireplace (note: make fireplace out of old computer parts and magoo's prized slippers)

e_mc_2

Oct 9, 1999
I know how you feel. One time a squirel chewed threw one of our main fibre optics lines and it just made me feel powerless, that a little rodent could make my life a living hell.

Namuna

Platinum Member
Jun 20, 2000
Securities firm.

As if hanging out till 10pm last night wasn't enough...I get to spend ALL DAY TODAY working on it too.

denali

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999

<< This week started with a wonderful power Blackout for about an hour throughout 1/2 my floor on Monday >>

Sounds like a securities firm I wouldn't want to do business with. How come you guys don't have a backup power generator?
I'd guess CSFB since your profile says Boston.

It's nearly impossible to find a good Unix tech, why don't you go and get some training. If you find a good tech pay them very well or they will be gone in a second.

Namuna

Platinum Member
Jun 20, 2000
the UPS provides 2hours backup to the Trading Floor and Server Room ONLY. Space limitation (not cost) prevented more/bigger UPS' or Generators.

A Unix tech would be as useful as a Tit on a Bull to us, we are an NT shop.

And I doubt you'd even be ABLE to do business with my company anyway, we don't accept customers worth less than $2 million

BowDown

Banned
Jun 2, 2000
With a 2 million cap like that you would expect that your firm would get that Magoo guy the hell out of there. Downtime is just a loss of $ anyway you look at it. :|

denali

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999

<< A Unix tech would be as useful as a Tit on a Bull to us, we are an NT shop. >>

Well in your post you sure sounded like you needed a Unix tech or did I not understand your original post. If your company depends on a Unix machine how come you cannot justify having a Unix tech on staff.

ArkAoss

Banned
Aug 31, 2000
Yeah, that hurts man. I work for a paper, we print twice a week, but worst thing we had was some jack off turned off our oracle server while it was, running screwed up our nt loader cause the thing is running raid 0 hadda copy it all to another drive and screw with the nt loader, and we still got stuff to do on that, and our 6 tape dat drive died, we had service from hp garunteed replacment in 24 hrs, that was 3 days ago. and the backup tape drive we had is dead too. life is soo much fun

axelfox

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
When I did an internship at a day trading firm, my boss worked 13+ hours a day, beginning at 5 AM. Thats when I realized that I didn't want to be an SysAdmin.

Namuna

Platinum Member
Jun 20, 2000
Our NASDAQ server is one of the very few Unix boxes here (98% NT). The maintenance of which is the responsibility of NASDAQ (as a part of the service agreement we pay for).

There's only 1 user that uses the services from it, but it's our MOST IMPORTANT user...The Head Trader. And part of that Service Agreement is that we are HANDS OFF with the server. They send their own people.

Too bad their techs are basically consultant grunts (NON-tech) sent with manuals and phone numbers