Hell has frozen over, Fudzilla Both Microsoft and Intel trying to acquire AMD

positivedoppler

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2012
http://www.fudzilla.com/news/graphics/38725-microsoft-interested-to-acquire-amd

If this is true, I have no idea what to think. Too much AMD buyout rumors in the last year and now this. I don't think they will last beyond 2016...

I will miss the Intel, AMD, Cyrix days of the 3 way tangle. Microsoft will get a hardware group to rival Apple. Intel knows the iGPU will soon be more important than the cpu and they are on a collision course with Nvidia anyway.

Last edited:

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Ask yourself why these rumours always comes from the most questionable sites that mainly lives by clickbait stories.

Then take a look at the stock market and take a wild guess if you think anyone with money believes in it.

eton975

Jun 2, 2014
Ask yourself why these rumours always comes from the most questionable sites that mainly lives by clickbait stories.

Then take a look at the stock market and take a wild guess if you think anyone with money believes in it.

^^ this

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
Yea screams BS to me as well. Microsoft would hurt itself by pissing off other hardware makers, some are still pissed they made the surface, and Intel would have antitrust issues.

I could see licensing deals in some scope but not a full purchase.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003

"Intel tries to buy out AMD. You won't believe what happens next..."

Enigmoid

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2012
I think intel may be interested in AMD's graphics division. Unlikely to have antitrust issues there.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
"32 reasons why AMD wafers make the best dinner plates."

AMD still doesn't hold a candle to the Intel disco ball.

Back on topic. AMD's stock price is so low that buyout is looking really cheap. So, it's natural that rumours about buyouts would float around right now, especially when a bunch of other stocks on the Street are jumping up and down erratically. AMD's own stock price is pretty stable (and low).

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
AMD still doesn't hold a candle to the Intel disco ball.

Back on topic. AMD's stock price is so low that buyout is looking really cheap. So, it's natural that rumours about buyouts would float around right now, especially when a bunch of other stocks on the Street are jumping up and down erratically. AMD's own stock price is pretty stable (and low).

Sometimes, even if something is free it can be expensive.

Its quite clear that nobody is interested in AMD. An ATI spinoff is another matter tho.

Fjodor2001

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2010
If Apple can design their own CPUs, Microsoft should be able to do that as well, assuming they get something to start from by buying AMD.

In addition Microsoft could get a monopoly on next gen consoles based on AMD x86 APU tech. They would not have to sell APUs to Sony for their PS5.

Mar 10, 2006
If Apple can design their own CPUs, Microsoft should be able to do that as well, assuming they get something to start from by buying AMD.

In addition Microsoft could get a monopoly on next gen consoles based on AMD x86 APU tech. They would not have to sell APUs to Sony for their PS5.

Doesn't make sense to buy a bad business just for game console chips. Microsoft already gets what it needs via semi-custom arrangement.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012

Consoles most likely only went x86 because 64bit ARM wasnt ready at the time. Going x86 is against what both MS and Sony wants. A licensed design they control completely and can fab whenever and whereever they want.

redzo

Nov 21, 2007
Consoles most likely only went x86 because 64bit ARM wasnt ready at the time. Going x86 is against what both MS and Sony wants. A licensed design they control completely and can fab whenever and whereever they want.
I don't know about this. I think it's about the software also, not only about the chips. Microsoft's main business is x86 software territory. Microsoft probably chooses x86 instinctively against ARM. Yes, AMD probably offered the most feature rich package at the best price and everybody knew that they are competent at designing both CPU and GPU.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
I don't know about this. I think it's about the software also, not only about the chips. Microsoft's main business is x86 software territory. Microsoft probably chooses x86 instinctively against ARM. Yes, AMD probably offered the most feature rich package at the best price and everybody knew that they are competent at designing both CPU and GPU.

MS changed from x86 to PowerPC before. They dont care what uarch is used. And for Sony it makes even less sense to use x86 with all their handheld devices.

redzo

Nov 21, 2007
MS changed from x86 to PowerPC before. They dont care what uarch is used. And for Sony it makes even less sense to use x86 with all their handheld devices.
We're gonna have to wait for a while. The fight is just getting started. My bet is at least one x86 win either from Sony or MS next gen.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Just drop the ancient AM3+ board and move out of the stoneage :p

Nah, no new features on current motherboards excite me. I have USB3, SATA6, lots of open PCIE slots yet... and from the hobbyist standpoint, overclocking an AMD CPU is a lot of fun compared to Intel. But, maybe when DDR4 boards are more mainstream, we'll see. No urge to upgrade yet, but the upgrade bug tends to show up suddenly with me, and when it does my bank account pays the price. :biggrin:

As far as this story goes, I tend to purposely not click on Fudzilla or wccftech links, I just assume this story is false. Would be quite interesting if true, but I doubt it very much as of now.

Fjodor2001

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2010

Moving to ARM would be possible, but it would also break backwards compatibility with current x86 based consoles.

BTW: Funny that you now consider ARM powerful enough for gaming consoles, but previously considered ARM to not be powerful enough for MacBookAir or desktops even when looking ahead.