Heidi Cruz working 70 hours a week to support Ted's demagoguery habit.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...cruz-ted-his-senate-bid-and-2016-race/573256/
It may be Heidi’s way of avoiding one truth she’s learned as a political spouse: that this life only gets harder as it goes on. Another term in the Senate means six more years her husband won’t live at home. It means more family conversations about why Dad can’t make it to school on Wednesday for the meet and greet with Caroline’s new teachers. It means Heidi is working 70-hour weeks not only because she wants to, but also because she has to.
Texans, this November, please think the children. It's time to give the Cruz kids their father back.

Reactions: Homerboy

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Apart from the sarcasm, I agree. Americans aren't involved enough with their children. I know there's exceptions, but generally speaking.

Feb 4, 2009
Isn't this the woman Trump labeled ugly in public?

Yup

I’ll add this gem from @KMFJD

m18bt7t.jpg

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Is jailing your opponent now part of the GOP platform.?

During a rally in Georgetown, Texas, on Tuesday, for Republican Senator Ted Cruz, a supporter shouted “Lock him up” in reference to Cruz’s opponent, Beto O’Rourke. Cruz replied that O’Rourke could share a cell with former presidential candidate Hillary Clinton.

“Well, you know, there’s a double-occupancy cell with Hillary Clinton,” Cruz said.

His fans were chanting "Lock him up!" aimed at Beto O'Rourke. I am honestly confused. What do they want him locked up for? For having the audacity to run for the Senate?

Reactions: DarthKyrie
Feb 4, 2009

During a rally in Georgetown, Texas, on Tuesday, for Republican Senator Ted Cruz, a supporter shouted “Lock him up” in reference to Cruz’s opponent, Beto O’Rourke. Cruz replied that O’Rourke could share a cell with former presidential candidate Hillary Clinton.

“Well, you know, there’s a double-occupancy cell with Hillary Clinton,” Cruz said.

His fans were chanting "Lock him up!" aimed at Beto O'Rourke. I am honestly confused. What do they want him locked up for? For having the audacity to run for the Senate?

God knows, isn’t guess it either has to do with some pizza parlor or some tax thing.
We all know hardcore Republicans can’t stand people who lie on their taxes.
Back to reality, guys like Ted and the President are charting dangerous territory. Do we really want to live in a society where the loser gets locked up? Will that be good at limiting terms?
Saying you are kidding doesn’t cut it at some point one of these assholes will really do it.

BYW when’s Hillary getting locked up it’s been nearly 2 years. When should I expect her to be locked up?

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

That's one of the truly disgusting parts... while the American right mutters lies about wanting civility, it actually wants to imprison political opponents. It actually likes the idea of permanent one-party rule.

Ventanni

Golden Member
Jul 25, 2011
That's one of the truly disgusting parts... while the American right mutters lies about wanting civility, it actually wants to imprison political opponents. It actually likes the idea of permanent one-party rule.

Meh, both sides smear poo in each other's face all the time. When Trump got into office, he didn't do anything to Hillary; he never intended to. Cruz is only doing it now 'cause it worked well for Trump in 2016, so why reinvent the wheel?

These are my personal thoughts here, but since I work in marketing, I guess I see things differently. Both politics and businesses use branding to great effect. Branding requires an emotional component, and it's interesting to see that politics uses negative emotional elements to "brand" their opponents. Businesses use positive emotional components to "brand" themselves. Branding doesn't change the reality of anything though, it just changes the perception. As a result, I don't think Cruz actually believes O'Rourke is a criminal. He just wants people to think he is so they don't vote for him.

It's dirty, but that's politics.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Ironic, as Melania has never worked a day in her life and has a much more successful husband (in terms of demagoguery).

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Meh, both sides smear poo in each other's face all the time. When Trump got into office, he didn't do anything to Hillary; he never intended to. Cruz is only doing it now 'cause it worked well for Trump in 2016, so why reinvent the wheel?

These are my personal thoughts here, but since I work in marketing, I guess I see things differently. Both politics and businesses use branding to great effect. Branding requires an emotional component, and it's interesting to see that politics uses negative emotional elements to "brand" their opponents. Businesses use positive emotional components to "brand" themselves. Branding doesn't change the reality of anything though, it just changes the perception. As a result, I don't think Cruz actually believes O'Rourke is a criminal. He just wants people to think he is so they don't vote for him.

When you foster "lock him up" chants against someone who hasn't even been accused of a crime that would warrant it, that's not marketing -- that's irresponsible and potentially dangerous. If someone attacks O'Rourke because of Cruz's lies, there will be blood on Cruz's hands. You may have noticed that Trump's "branding" just resulted in someone sending explosives to several of his critics and former political rivals.

You can equivocate like you do because the consequences for negative marketing are usually limited to a lawsuit or someone refusing to buy a product. But here, it's not only eroding the principles of a healthy democracy, it could get someone killed. And I'm sorry, but as much as the Democrats may decry Cruz, Trump and their like, they aren't using false accusations as slogans and tolerating or even encouraging violence.

Ventanni

Golden Member
Jul 25, 2011
When you foster "lock him up" chants against someone who hasn't even been accused of a crime that would warrant it, that's not marketing -- that's irresponsible and potentially dangerous. If someone attacks O'Rourke because of Cruz's lies, there will be blood on Cruz's hands. You may have noticed that Trump's "branding" just resulted in someone sending explosives to several of his critics and former political rivals.

You can equivocate like you do because the consequences for negative marketing are usually limited to a lawsuit or someone refusing to buy a product. But here, it's not only eroding the principles of a healthy democracy, it could get someone killed. And I'm sorry, but as much as the Democrats may decry Cruz, Trump and their like, they aren't using false accusations as slogans and tolerating or even encouraging violence.

Oh, I agree. I am no fan of it. At the same time, this isn't exactly new in the political playing field. Politicians vomit over each other night and day, and have been since 1776.

Heck, I found this from 2010. This is an Anderson Cooper story on dirty political ads of 2010. One was accusing the other of being in the Taliban:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B32KFA-bQ8

The only way this is ever going to stop is when people stop accepting it in their politics.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Oh, I agree. I am no fan of it. At the same time, this isn't exactly new in the political playing field. Politicians vomit over each other night and day, and have been since 1776.

Heck, I found this from 2010. This is an Anderson Cooper story on dirty political ads of 2010. One was accusing the other of being in the Taliban:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B32KFA-bQ8

The only way this is ever going to stop is when people stop accepting it in their politics.

I agree that we have to stop accepting it... but you also have to accept that there's one side in particular perpetrating this sort of behavior lately , and it's not the Democrats.

Ventanni

Golden Member
Jul 25, 2011
I agree that we have to stop accepting it... but you also have to accept that there's one side in particular perpetrating this sort of behavior lately , and it's not the Democrats.

It's all the same trash to me. Democrats calling Republicans the Taliban is no different than Republicans calling Democrats criminals. They do it for two reasons. One, we eat it up, and two, "branding" works 10-100x more effective in the negative than it does the positive. It's cheaper to call your enemy a poopooface than to convince others your farts smell like roses.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

Calling for political opponents to be jailed is a very dangerous precedent that has no place in the US. It is literally one of the things we complain about with Cuba and North Korea. This isn't a joke and it isn't marketing, it is the first steps towards a dictatorship.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Why do we care how much she works?
Because they can't survive (let alone "buy a second house anytime soon") on his $175k/year!

Look at the difficult struggles they endure:

Heidi suggested that we finish our afternoon with a tour of the house, which she was in the midst of redecorating. She’d gone crazy, she said, knowing it wouldn’t be finished by the time I arrived. But she beamed in each room anyway.

For everything, there was a place. The seagrass carpets, for Heidi, were the Hamptons. “I think I’m a Houston lifer … It’s important to our constituents that Ted be in the state,” she said. “But I do love New York … I miss it. I miss New York.”

We moved to a framed painting waiting to be hung. It was New England, depicting a party along the coast of Massachusetts. It was New York, where her grandmother had found the piece in the 1970s. And it was Los Angeles, where she later bought it for herself.

Back to the foyer. The wallpaper was striped, faint blue and ivory. But it would soon be red, which meant it would soon be London—“very London.” The first thing she’d notice when coming home.