Heatsink weight

scrawnypaleguy

Golden Member
Jun 19, 2005
Ok, so the maximum specification for the weight of a cpu cooler on any current AMD or Intel setup (socket 754/939/940 and 478/775) is 450 grams, according to Zalman's website. They also recommend that special care be taken when moving computers with coolers heavier than the max spec. My question is this: does this weight specification really matter? I mean, there are soooo many coolers out on the market today that far exceed that weight limit, so HSF manufacturers obviously don't set much store by it. What do you guys think? Has anyone ever cracked a motherboard while moving their Zalman 7700Cu, or is this "max spec" an empty threat?

swtethan

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2005
ive moved my computer once.... i have a 7700 cu on an older motherboard, no problems

suszterpatt

Jun 17, 2005
I think it's another one of those "your chances are better" things. I don't think any socket, RM or any other such would have problems holding a heavier HSF when still, but the chances of those large arse models that weigh almost 1kg breaking something when moving the case are not negligible.

scrawnypaleguy

Golden Member
Jun 19, 2005
Also true. The reason I ask is because I was looking into the new Scythe Ninja hsf, which weighs more than 600 grams. Plus I'm now going to be carting my computer back and forth between college and home.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
For safety, I'd have it so the HSF is on top of, not hanging on the side of, the retension bracket, when moving it (so, like, lay it on its side in the back seat).

The retension brackets for the 775 and K8s are very hefty--I'd worry more about heatsink gunk doing weird stuff with the random movement than I would about it breaking the mobo/socket.

Xpage

Jun 22, 2005
www.riseofkingdoms.com
i suggets if you move your case with a hevay heat sink to make sure you do it so the weight rests on the cpu (as if you were installing the heatsink) that wya it will not press against the lockmechanism and break off from it, or have it's pressure put on a spot ont he chip

WobbleWobble

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
I've moved my old system with a fragile Athlon XP CPU and a CNPS-7000ACu multiple times to LAN parties and such. I try to lay my computer sideways so that the CPU is sitting up instead of hanging off when it's in the car. If the system is actually being shipped, I would probably never leave a heavy heatsink installed.

alexXx

Jun 4, 2002
the weight isnt really the big issue for motherboards. THe moment(torque) that the heatsink creates on the motherboard is the important factor. a 1kg heatsink that sits 2inches off the board would have the same torque as a 500g heatsink that sits 4 inches off the board
food for thought

ssvegeta1010

Platinum Member
Nov 13, 2004
Originally posted by: WobbleWobble
I've moved my old system with a fragile Athlon XP CPU and a CNPS-7000ACu multiple times to LAN parties and such. I try to lay my computer sideways so that the CPU is sitting up instead of hanging off when it's in the car. If the system is actually being shipped, I would probably never leave a heavy heatsink installed.

Exactly.

suszterpatt

Jun 17, 2005
Originally posted by: alexXx
the weight isnt really the big issue for motherboards. THe moment(torque) that the heatsink creates on the motherboard is the important factor. a 1kg heatsink that sits 2inches off the board would have the same torque as a 500g heatsink that sits 4 inches off the board
food for thought
Then again, heavy heatsinks are rather tall as well (with a few exceptions).

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
For cross-room transportation or around the house, Id probably not consider taking off a heavy heatsink as long as I didnt drop it or bump anything wildly.

For transport in a car where you cant drive slowly or avoid every large pothole that may exist, Id take it off. Its perhaps a 30 minute job off and on again but 30 minutes could save you hundreds.

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
Well, I had a 7000AlCu on my P4C, and but it upright in a crate, in the back of a pick-up truck. Nothing came loose.

Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: suszterpatt
Originally posted by: alexXx
food for thought
Then again, heavy heatsinks are rather tall as well (with a few exceptions).

How about a 1KG heatsink that is being thrown around by Fed-Ex and UPS?

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
Yea, real pocket-protector-wearing nerds actually buy these heatsinks to tone their biceps.

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
Originally posted by: Kensai
Originally posted by: Safeway
Yea, real pocket-protector-wearing nerds actually buy these heatsinks to tone their biceps.

:camera:s? :p

I'm uploading the pics to your bathroom mirror. Go view them.