Hearthstone

Page 120 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I used to play this game a lot, followed meta and watched tons of streams by TrumpSC. I quit just after Naxxramas.

Looks like the game went crazy today, with the introduction of Standard + lots of expansions. I like the concept of Golden Monkey - it's like a mini treasure hunt. Also the 'building up' C'thun is very creative as well.

I still don't play, but it's fun to watch Trump videos- didn't take much for me to get caught up because he's so good at explaining everything + his choices. It's good to see the good ol' zoolock is still strong + some variation of miracle rogue.

1. Is Trump not good anymore? He used to be able to reach numbered ranks. Today I see him struggling around rank 2-3.

2. Is there a way to send/share my cards to you guys? I don't even play and my cards would be better used by others. Last time I played there was no way to transfer cards/dusts. I have Rag, Leeroy, and couple more. (Cairne or Sylvannas)

Last edited:

Vivendi

Nov 21, 2013
1. Trump hasn't been a competitive player for a while and mostly focuses on just streaming. I mean he's still good enough to get legend pretty easily but that doesnt mean much as it mostly just requires a huge time investment into the game. If he was struggling at ranks 2-3, he was probably trying out new decks.

2. Can't share cards in this game. :(. I wish we could too as I could probably make some of my friends quite happy lol.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
There is also a ton more players today. Last season I stopped at rank 15 and the end of season message had me in top third of the playerbase.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
You might've forgot that Amazon bought Twitch awhile ago, but it seems like they've finally made that a lot more known at this year's TwitchCon. Among other announcements, they've announced a new Twitch Prime feature where Amazon Prime users get Twitch Turbo benefits along with other benefits such as free games or game loot. Well, you can probably see where this is going... one of the free game loot items is Tyrande for Hearthstone. So, if you have Amazon Prime and a Twitch account (or want to create one), you can get it for free.

https://twitch.amazon.com/prime

EDIT:

According to Blizzard's blog post, the free hero only lasts until Nov 5.

Last edited:

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Finished at 15 again this season. Got 2 useful golds and again in top 30% of the player base even though a somewhat low rank.

Vivendi

Nov 21, 2013
I finished at 15 as well lol, I think this is the first time since the rewards that I didn't get atleast rank 10 :( The golden common I already had 2x of so it will be dusted, the golden rare was Highmane which is awesome. I have 160 Pages of cards now :) Blizz really needs to stack normal and golden cards together at some point.

Not really interested in playing too much right now and don't have time to finish daily quests either.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I finished at 15 as well lol, I think this is the first time since the rewards that I didn't get atleast rank 10 :( The golden common I already had 2x of so it will be dusted, the golden rare was Highmane which is awesome. I have 160 Pages of cards now :) Blizz really needs to stack normal and golden cards together at some point.

Not really interested in playing too much right now and don't have time to finish daily quests either.
Ranks have certainly gotten harder. Think it's due to fewer people playing.

Vivendi

Nov 21, 2013
The decks I liked playing are all dead/worse coupled with the fact that the classes I'm good with are now golden portraits... so I haven't been playing ranked. I took both Handlock and Control Warrior to rank 1-2 multiple times in the Patron era, doubt I have the practice or the time to do that now with a different deck.

I think I played maybe 20 games the whole month (Sept). I like playing Control decks but that's too inefficient for climbling. If I'm not alteast rank 10 at end of month, I usually switch to Zoolock or Aggro Shaman and then get there in one sitting, but I didn't get the chance to play Hearthstone at end of the month this time, hence rank 15.

Still, I agree ladder has gotten harder.

Honestly, the fact that they completely killed Handlock with the Molten nerf and then released Arcane Giants... I think this put me off from playing too much.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I don't think handlock can even work anymore in this meta, the game is too fast for that as you would be essentially dead turn 5 (before you could taunt the turn 4 minion if you went second, and if you went first, your turn 4 minion wouldn't be strong enough to survive the attacks).

Vivendi

Nov 21, 2013
You're probably right. Sludge belcher and healbot were essential for Handlock and nothing replaced them.

Also, the update is live. Time to dust my extra Abusive Sergeants lol. I should have around a dozen atleast. Too bad the other cards are basic and I won't be dusting CotW/Yogg/Tuskarr.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
It's meant for the truly competitive players, those that reach legend regularly.

Vivendi

Nov 21, 2013
This seems like Blizzard's way of making people use up their gold before the next expansion. Even the top of the top Hearthstone players don't have that high of a winrate in constructed to have a good chance at 12 wins. It's a gamble, I'm sure lots of people will do it, good luck to them.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
I would not be too surprised if no one got 12 wins (or just 1 person). Depends how they are doing the matchups I guess. Look at the hearthstone championships, they are always best of 3 or 5 or something. People rarely shut out their opponents. You can have a maximum of 2 losses in 14 games? Very tough to do in constructed when every one will have one of 4 or so top tier decks.

Not sure why they are calling it Tavern Brawl, it has nothing to do with tavern brawl. It is just a straight up constructed tournament. Why not call it that?

Concillian

Diamond Member
May 26, 2004
Anyone planning on playing that new Tavern Brawl Arena thing? Seems like a bit of a raw deal.

Not really planning on it, but I can see why they did it. Some people will be REALLY into it, and those people who will be are pretty important to Hearthstone.

I like that different Brawls cater to different people (some pre-built decks, which help those without much of a collection, some build your own that are interesting to those who have large collections and are sick of ladder). I think it's fine to have a Brawl which is clearly not catered towards the average player. They're understandably getting a ton of flak, but I think it's an overall healthy thing, especially since I'm pretty sure they'll make a decent chunk of change off the people willing to give $10 for an entry fee.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
That depends on if enough are actually playing at any one time. If numbers quickly nose dive, could just spend your time in a non completing queue.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
This week's brawl was so unlucky for me. My minions would be either good but too high cost or poor. Event he times I would get something good on the field it seemed the opponent had the perfect counter. Finally won it on my 5th game with getting Alexstraza when my hp was down to 8.

Vivendi

Nov 21, 2013
New patch out, changes to murlocs; now they only effect friendly minions. The Murloc Paladin mirror matchup was fun before where you had to bring down your opponent into lethal range and only then you could play Anyfin. Now the matchup has been simplified.

Yogg now applies overload to hero.

Lot of new quests, a welcome addition.

Also, don't forget to go to battle.net and pick your player to win the Hearthstone Blizzcon, you can get some free TGT packs.

Karazhan bonus in Arena is now gone.

A small Ethereal Peddler change.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
In addition to what I already mentioned in the conn thread, new reveals are coming. next up is a pally 5/4/4 that gives every minion in your hand +1/+1 and the end of each turn.