Hearthstone

Page 117 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I did 97 damage and lasted 24 rounds as a druid. Only died because I was out of cards and was killed by stacking damage of no cards left (8 damage). There are 7 must have cards in your deck, the pirate that takes 1 durability from the enemy weapon, the acid ooze that destroys the enemy weapon, the pandas that return a card (both versions), the saboteur that jacks up the hero power cost, Harrison Jones, and hogger.

Stagger playing out the cards that destroy the weapon, as each time you destroy it, the minions that can be made from its hero power are reset back to 1/1. Doing that, you should be able to keep board control literally until you run out of cards.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Why, you last one turn or a thousand and the result is the same. Still makes no sense to me.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Just to see how long I can last :D Next time I am thinking of adding the druid legendary that goes back into my deck every time it dies, along with 2 faceless manips so I can have 3 of them, which should prevent me from running out of cards in my deck.

I just need to devise a way to constantly deal with the weapon...

Vivendi

Nov 21, 2013
Just to see how long I can last :D Next time I am thinking of adding the druid legendary that goes back into my deck every time it dies, along with 2 faceless manips so I can have 3 of them, which should prevent me from running out of cards in my deck.

I just need to devise a way to constantly deal with the weapon...

Just run Kel'Thuzad in your deck. You will not fatigue and probably die when the game auto ends at the set max number of turns (89) or you do 1k damage by fatigue.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Figured I would leave this here
s8vtJRH.jpg

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
You can get a $10 app credit on amazon by downloading hay day, will pay for a good chunk of the expansion.

Vivendi

Nov 21, 2013
Blizzard Hearthstone dev team has been catching a LOT of flak over the new adventure last couple of days. It's not just reddit, a lot of the big name streamers have basically said that the cards/card design is terrible.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I couldn't say, only seen about a dozen cards that looked great and all the bleeptard rants are in video form only so if they can't take the time to write anything down it must not be that important.

wetech

Jul 16, 2002
I couldn't say, only seen about a dozen cards that looked great and all the bleeptard rants are in video form only so if they can't take the time to write anything down it must not be that important.

Priest is moving to top tier with their new spell: 2 mana, silence a friendly minion, draw a card.

The commentator during the live stream reveal said it best, "Cool, I like making my own minions worse"

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
There are some cards that could work with it. Like the "can't attack" ones and anything with a deathrattle that helps the opponent. Not sure that I could build a viable deck with it though. Since priest is getting only 3 cards, it sucks that this is one of them. This card would have been better as a filler in a full expansion instead of an adventure.

wetech

Jul 16, 2002
There are some cards that could work with it. Like the "can't attack" ones and anything with a deathrattle that helps the opponent. Not sure that I could build a viable deck with it though. Since priest is getting only 3 cards, it sucks that this is one of them. This card would have been better as a filler in a full expansion instead of an adventure.

But Silence just does it better for 0 mana, instead of restricted silence and 2 mana.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
It should have been a 0 mana card as the offset of useablevon only your minions from the regular silence met with card draw. I'm general nothing was done here for priest but not sure what people were expecting from an adventure. A total class revamp like that only likely during a full expansion release.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Blizz has put out a couple replies about the priest uproar. Said the class specific cards weren't designed to solve any need, felt the neutral cards in the adventure could provide some new opportunities. Added later that they have programed Purify to not be available in arena, guess the people are revealing over the irony from that decision.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Blizz has put out a couple replies about the priest uproar. Said the class specific cards weren't designed to solve any need, felt the neutral cards in the adventure could provide some new opportunities. Added later that they have programed Purify to not be available in arena, guess the people are revealing over the irony from that decision.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot7nlHXPLqU
Full video of the interview

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

Why would YouTubers write stuff down? They make money off of video views, not people reading forum posts.

The commentator during the live stream reveal said it best, "Cool, I like making my own minions worse"

There are some minions that have higher stats because of a negative aspect. In those cases, the point of silencing your own minion is to get rid of that. Although, I'm not as big of a fan of that, because then you have to worry about drawing that specific minion and that specific silence card.

Vivendi

Nov 21, 2013
The card is just bad. It's doesn't even a fun effect so I doubt people would play it fun decks. The only reason it will be seeing play is because it's so bad, people will want to try it out and get it to work.

Purify + Ancient watcher = 4 mana 4/5 , so a Yeti but it takes two cards. Too unreliable and much better options are out there already (even for Priests).
Purify + Eerie Statue = 6 mana 7/7, basically the Boulderfist Ogre. Again, it's just bad.

Edit: If you want fast cycle, it's better to go the Wild Pyro + Acolyte route which is already used in Combo Priest for board clear and cycle together.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
The card is just bad. It's doesn't even a fun effect so I doubt people would play it fun decks. The only reason it will be seeing play is because it's so bad, people will want to try it out and get it to work.

You're ignoring the draw card in your examples. I still don't think it's great (waiting on combos can easily lose you a game), but I see where they were trying to go with it.

What if Blizzard turned it into a "creature reset"? In other words, it would restore the minion to its original stats AND silence the minion. So, it's a full heal, but it also has the penalty of downsides in that it can remove any buff or bonus effects (including taunt). Maybe raise it by 1 mana cost and keep the card draw.

ewdotson

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2011
My fix - have it draw two cards instead of one. That turns it into a cheaper arcane intellect with what will generally be a drawback. If there are niche applications where one could turn the drawback into an advantage, that's not terrible so long as it's not gamebreaking. And they'd have to add *vastly* stronger cards-with-a-silenceable-drawback for it to be even vaguely close to gamebreaking.

Vivendi

Nov 21, 2013
I'm not ignoring the card draw on Purify, the fact is that a 2 mana card draw is just horrible, esp. one that will have negative effects on your board or requires prior setup. Also, it can't be cast on a empty board to just cycle it. Priest already has a one mana cycle (PW:S) that includes a beneficial effect. And if your Priest deck needs more cycle, like I said earlier, it will be better to go with Pyro and Acolyte, since they also synergise with your other cards. A silence and then restore to full, draw 1, effect for three mana would be bad.

If you look at the card cycle other classes have at two mana. Most classes have atleast one cycle at two mana (Warrior has three options at 2) or three mana (Mage and Paladin). Warlocks don't have card draw but they don't need it, and there's still Mortal Coil at 1. Going over the other cards, it becomes obvious how truly worse Purify is than them. It's even worse than the options that don't currently see play. Also, most of them can be cast on an empty board in the worst case to just cycle unlike Purify. Most help your board state, unlike Purify. The three neutral options: Thalnos, Hoarder and Engineer, are all better than Purify.

Purify would honestly be better (still unplayable in a decent deck) if it silenced ALL friendly minions. Since then it could be cast on an empty board or have a chance for higher value in a silence deck.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I'm not ignoring the card draw on Purify

Yes, you are. Both of your examples compare a Purify combination to an existing minion, but completely ignore that there's still a draw card mechanic. The draw mechanic does add value, but the issue is that the value isn't really worth the hassle.

Vivendi

Nov 21, 2013
Yes Purify does cycle (as long as you have a board and a targetable minion). It still sucks. Watcher + Purify is 2 cards used and 1 card drawn for net -1 card. Yeti is 1 card used and 0 drawn for -1 card, it can't come on the board as early as a Watcher but is more reliable. Purify will never work unless more minions are added in the future which benefit from it.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Well this brawl sucks. A coop against an increasingly strong nef, and when your "opponent" doesn't understand coop it's wrist cut worthy. Had e runes blow up on me as he never bothered with them. Had 2 minions on board, one would heal opponent when I was healed and other would both heal me when a card was played on it as well as draw you a card if you played a card on it. So when he got a bunch of bananas in his hand, dropping them on it would keep that alive longer as well as healing him and drawing him more cards, that never seemed to cross his mind. Absolutely no concept of coop seemed to exist on his play style. Including him have the corrupted pages pretty early and never played it until I was in fatigie. Good job brah.

Idiots.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Just quite yet another brawl due to playing with a mouth breather. Have the minion out that will heal other hero when I am healed, have its health doubled. He swaps his hero power to healing, then makes it heall for 4....and then just heals himself. OMFG why can't people read basic english.