Heard Vista sucks. Does Windows 7 NOT suck?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Mem
Originally posted by: Muse
Originally posted by: StinkyPinky
Microsoft is partially to blame for the anti-vista stance lots of n00bs have. Vista runs like crap on machines with 1gb of ram - they should have told manfacturers to stop being tight and add an extra gig. Add in the fact that most laptops in 2006 had a gig of ram, and that's a lot of negative press.

Vista is perfectly fine on 2gb+ memory.
Well then, it might be a dicey proposition with my Lenovo T60, which has 1.5 GB. It was supposed to be Vista capable (Aero too), when I bought it and with a charge for shipping and handling I was supposed to be able to get a "free" upgrade to Vista from XP Pro. I just called Lenovo today and was told I am SOL because the warranty has run out. :confused: Oh well. I do have a copy of Vista Ultimate that I'm not using, but I figure I should save it for a desktop install. I could install it for now on the Lenovo (upgrade, I suppose), but maybe it's not smart if 1.5 GB of RAM is really insufficient for good performance.

How much is ram nowadays for 2GB stick for your laptop something like $30 at Crucial website,new operating system costs more then that,anyway its simple to figure out ;).

Good thinkin'! I have built all my desktops (except the first, which I bought used from a guy who built it!), but didn't think about modifying my laptop. Guess I could definitely add a 2 GB stick for a total of 3 GB. It's a nice system, could also use a bump up from the 60 GB HD. I was going to do that but someone said "why do you need a bigger HD," and I couldn't really answer that. I was getting pretty frequent message to defrag, and that was my motivation. It's actually at least 30% free space.

sticks435

Jun 30, 2008
I agree with almost all of the posts here. My home PC ran both fine after Vista SP1, but my work D620 runs Vista like shit, mainly due to it having been designed for XP, then forced to upgrade to Vista and not having been slamed since I got it. They are rolling out 7 here in a week or 2, and it's supposed to make those machines run like they have XP on them again.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Originally posted by: biostud
I want to be hip so: Vista sucks!!!!

(Haven't really used Vista, just looking forward to win7 so I can do a fresh install of windows, since my 3YO winXP, could use a reinstall)

Is your machine Vista capable? If it's designed for XP, it probably isn't. Also, some machines are only partially Vista capable: won't run Aero. The only Vista machine I've used was for a few hours only, when I was helping my brother set up his new machine. So, very limited experience indeed. My desktops will not run Vista. My laptops will. At least one laptop will run Windows 7, don't know about the other.

I hope so (see sig)

and btw I have absolutely nothing against Vista, since I haven't used it.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I want to be hip so: Vista sucks!!!!

(Haven't really used Vista, just looking forward to win7 so I can do a fresh install of windows, since my 3YO winXP, could use a reinstall)

Is your machine Vista capable? If it's designed for XP, it probably isn't. Also, some machines are only partially Vista capable: won't run Aero. The only Vista machine I've used was for a few hours only, when I was helping my brother set up his new machine. So, very limited experience indeed. My desktops will not run Vista. My laptops will. At least one laptop will run Windows 7, don't know about the other.

I hope so (see sig)

and btw I have absolutely nothing against Vista, since I haven't used it.

I have nothing against it. I have heard disparaging things about it numerous times. I heard it was a failure for MS in terms of catching on by people who are not stupid, but nobody's perfect. I could have framed the OP differently. "Sucks" is probably not a term I encountered.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007

I have nothing against it. I have heard disparaging things about it numerous times. I heard it was a failure for MS in terms of catching on by people who are not stupid, but nobody's perfect. I could have framed the OP differently. "Sucks" is probably not a term I encountered.

Vista isn't bad now, but at launch was plagued by a lot of things that turned a lot of people away. A lot of those were driver issues. MS has fixed most of those issues but it is the first impression that counts and so people continue to look down on Vista.

7 had the advantage of learning from those mistakes and fixing issues before shipping. 7 will be a success I have no doubt simply because it works for most people out of the box without much tweaking which should help it earn a good reputation at launch. MS may say they will continue selling vista but I expect they will stop selling it after the 7 launch and just offer updates.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Modelworks

Vista isn't bad now, but at launch was plagued by a lot of things that turned a lot of people away. A lot of those were driver issues. MS has fixed most of those issues but it is the first impression that counts and so people continue to look down on Vista.

7 had the advantage of learning from those mistakes and fixing issues before shipping. 7 will be a success I have no doubt simply because it works for most people out of the box without much tweaking which should help it earn a good reputation at launch. MS may say they will continue selling vista but I expect they will stop selling it after the 7 launch and just offer updates.

You can say that virtually about all of Microsoft operating systems,I remember buying XP,Vista etc on day one and to be honest had no serious issues,sure drivers were missing for a few things but they soon got sorted ,actually thinking about it Win7 is in the same boat,I'm still waiting for a few drivers so full circle as they say,end of the day some people will always complain regardless,no OS can be perfect,it takes time for any OS to mature.

Service packs normally sort most of the main issues but that takes time as we have seen from Microsoft's history.

7 will be a success I have no doubt simply because it works for most people out of the box without much tweaking which should help it earn a good reputation at launch
Funny thats been the case for me on virtually all of Microsoft's operating systems,I find Win7 no different to the previous operating systems in that regard.

Henny

Nov 22, 2001
Vista = W7

The differences are very minor. If you hate Vista you'll hate W7.

Noid

Platinum Member
Sep 20, 2000
This topic is perfect timing for me. I'm over at the gaming forum debating on a new OS.

( Some members here will be glad I won't be bitching about the W2K phase out LOL )

Unreal v226

So, I'm doing some shopping also ...
But, I have no clue which will fill my needs without overspending.

Windows 7 retail - 199.99
Windows 7 pro - 299.99
Windows 7 Ultimate - 319.99
( What's the differences? )

Vista 64 Home basic - $89.99
Vista 64 Home premium - $99.99
Vista 64 Pro - $174.99
( What's the differences? )

XP SP2C 64 pro - $139
( Why is this still more expensive than Vista? )

Is XP still my best compatible OS?

What do the packages have in difference?
( Retail, Pro, Ultimate )

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
once 7 is released to the masses it will suck, but that will be denied here.:laugh:

Psynaut

Jan 6, 2008
Vista doesn't suck and hasn't sucked for 2 years. Windows 7, is much better, though. it is not a better version of Vista, it is a significantly superior operating system with numerous differences and improvements. it has a somewhat similar appearance to Vista, but other than appearance, it has a completely different feel when using it.

Intexity

Jan 10, 2009
7's networking annoys me also. curious to see how two 7 machines network. probably seamlessly. I hated vista cause it slowed my computer to a crawl. same build one less hard drive. 7 runs smoothly. here is a link about the whole "7 being vista finished" debate that has been going on for quite awhile now. if you aren't aware google it.
http://www.businessinsider.com...ts-a-faster-vista-msft
i have HEARD that vista owners will be getting a deep discount on the upgrade. didn't bother looking it up cause i don't have vista. but that SUPPOSEDLY stems from the idea that is stated in the link.

OmnipotentSpleen

Feb 3, 2001
i love windows 7 on my laptop. i used to use vista....didn't really find it that great compared to xp. everything seems faster in win7 and everything seems to work just fine out of the box.

Underclocked

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Working on a Vista machine always seems like something of a shell game to me. I don't care for it and still believe UAC is nothing but a huge annoyance. Others will argue that point... I don't care. ;)

7 has so far seemed much more user friendly and far less annoying. Enough so that I got in on the pre-order deal.

Chosonman

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2005
UAC is much improved in Windows 7. Hasn't gone away but at least you can control the level of annoyance you're willing to tolerate.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Yes, the ultimate noob question. I've never used Vista or Windows 7. Lots of experience using Windows starting with 3.1, then 3.11 for Workgroups, Win95 OSR2, some Win98 and Win98SE, NT 4.0, XP Pro.

I'm buying a laptop and wonder how significant is Windows 7 vs. Vista Home or Home Premium.

Vista is a pointless OS now, windows 7 is the way to go. Windows 7 is just better in every way, its faster, much better UI that makes sense this time, its like something apple made. Oh plus it can use vista drivers, not flawlessly 100% of the time but it can generally use them, plenty of stuff has its own windows 7 driver anyways or at least a beta driver.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Originally posted by: Chosonman
UAC is much improved in Windows 7. Hasn't gone away but at least you can control the level of annoyance you're willing to tolerate.

You can completely turn off UAC if you want. The option is there in settings, set it to never notify. I've done it on a machine I do a lot of driver development work on because it got in the way too much.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000

You can completely turn off UAC if you want. The option is there in settings, set it to never notify. I've done it on a machine I do a lot of driver development work on because it got in the way too much.

There's always Tweak UAC ,personally I don't have any issues with UAC enabled on Vista or Win7,sometimes I wonder what all the fuss is about.

F1shF4t

Golden Member
Oct 18, 2005
Originally posted by: Mem

There's always Tweak UAC ,personally I don't have any issues with UAC enabled on Vista or Win7,sometimes I wonder what all the fuss is about.

I don't mind UAC at all especially after SP1. After the initial setup you don't see many promps anyways. Only time it was enoying was before SP1 where it took 4 promts to create a new folder and rename it.

I think some people just need to complain about something.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Quote from next_adventure:

Microsoft should be giving all Vista customers copies of XP for free along with a letter of apology for foisting such garbage onto the public.
- - - -
The above from a post at Slickdeals. See, my info was anecdotal. I'd had zero experience with Vista at the time but I heard some disparaging remarks. The remark above is flippant, of course.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Vista is a worthless, smelly piece of programming. Do away with full screen DOS MODE? What kind of crack were they smoking? And NO I dont want to run dos box or virtualization. And I dont give a damn if Im the last person on Earth still running DOS apps. Stupid microsoft and the damn vista with that hellish nightmare UAC.

Win7 better not suck or its XP64 for life yo!

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: FelixDeKat
Vista is a worthless, smelly piece of programming. Do away with full screen DOS MODE? What kind of crack were they smoking? And NO I dont want to run dos box or virtualization. And I dont give a damn if Im the last person on Earth still running DOS apps. Stupid microsoft and the damn vista with that hellish nightmare UAC.

Win7 better not suck or its XP64 for life yo!

DOS has been phased out for quite awhile ,Win7 is based on Vista so don't expect any changes in that area.

You options are restricted, ie try the usual dual boot or run DOSBox.