Healthcare Providers..

Josh

Lifer
Mar 20, 2000
I'm looking for a healthcare provider. I'm a young full-time employee looking for a decent healthcare provider with decent monthly costs. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've looked into Cigna and it's around $200-$300 a month I believe. I have no diseases/problems/etc, really healthy workout-everyday-type individual...don't know if all that matters, but any suggestions/price quotes would be nice. Thanks.

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
The price you got from Cigna sounds about average.
Check out your state's insurance board webpage for individual medical carriers.
Expect to pay a lot because you are not getting a group discount.

EDIT: To clarify, the risk pool is just you. If your company offered coverage, it would reduce your price because the risk pool is larger - more premium coming in to cover potential losses.
Maybe you can get lucky and find some kind of group term health if your state allows that (some do and some don't).

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
If you're young and you have no health problems, you may want to look into a Health Savings Account. It is basically a savings account used for Healthcare. It isn't for everyone but if you're young, single, and healthy it is a good alternative.

Josh

Lifer
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Queasy
If you're young and you have no health problems, you may want to look into a Health Savings Account. It is basically a savings account used for Healthcare. It isn't for everyone but if you're young, single, and healthy it is a good alternative.

That's not a bad idea. I just spoke with my boss (I work in a small company) and he said he could probably add me to his company's healthcare provided by Dale&Dale (??). Never heard of them. But, hopefully the rate will be cheaper than what Cigna quoted me.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
As long as its not Aetna/Chickering Group, you will be "fine". I have BCBS right now, kinda expensive...

xdreadpiratedoug

Jul 25, 2007
I liked my Cigna HMO when I have it - with my new job, I moved over to the UHC PPO and I'm not very satisfied with it. Why not check into AFLAC? I see them on TV quite a bit for people who's employeers don't offer health coverage - and also, I had Blue Cross/Shield here in Texas and I think it ran my parents about $680 for 4 or so months of coverage a few years ago.

49erinnc

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2004
Originally posted by: Tiamat
As long as its not Aetna/Chickering Group, you will be "fine".

QFT

I have never had so many issues with claims as I did when we were with Aetna. I've heard they've gotten a little better but their reputation is severely tarnished with everyone at my workplace. We went from them to BCBS which was great but they jacked up our rates so high at renewal time, that we were forced to go with United Healthcare which has served us well. I have no complaints with them other than a fairly high deductible but that was the easiest way to get our premiums down.