Health insurance with your job

MeddyDuo

Jan 15, 2007
When a job offers health insurance, don'tyou have to get a checkup every year or something like that? Can you turn down the health insurance if you don't want it?

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
No, some life insurance policies will make you get a checkup I think. Yes you can turn the insurance down.

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Originally posted by: MeddyDuo
When a job offers health insurance, don'tyou have to get a checkup every year or something like that? Can you turn down the health insurance if you don't want it?
Checkup might vary from company to company. Sometimes with life insurance, they want you to get a checkup before you can be covered.

Declining the insurance will depend on the company. I just took a job, if I'd decline the insurance, I have to prove I'm otherwise covered. Even if I went with the more expensive PPO coverage, it'd be way better coverage for less money than I could insure myself. I'm paying $80/mo for health insurance right now, and I'm a 25 year old male with no health problems. The insurance is terrible too, the only thing it's good for is a serious injury.

You can always ask about health insurance before you accept a job. The company I will be working for gave me information and offered to have a benefits person contact me if I had further questions.

k1pp3r

Aug 30, 2004
When a job offers health insurance, don'tyou have to get a checkup every year or something like that?

Not that i have ever had to get

Can you turn down the health insurance if you don't want it?

Sure, but why would you?

MeddyDuo

Jan 15, 2007
Originally posted by: MrBond
Checkup might vary from company to company. Sometimes with life insurance, they want you to get a checkup before you can be covered.

Declining the insurance will depend on the company. I just took a job, if I'd decline the insurance, I have to prove I'm otherwise covered. Even if I went with the more expensive PPO coverage, it'd be way better coverage for less money than I could insure myself. I'm paying $80/mo for health insurance right now, and I'm a 25 year old male with no health problems. The insurance is terrible too, the only thing it's good for is a serious injury.

You can always ask about health insurance before you accept a job. The company I will be working for gave me information and offered to have a benefits person contact me if I had further questions.
So if I decline the insurance, I have to prove that I have my own? Or is that just for you?
And would I really need life insurance, I'm only 19?

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Originally posted by: MrBond

So if I decline the insurance, I have to prove that I have my own? Or is that just for you?
And would I really need life insurance, I'm only 19?

You only need life insurance if there is some one who is dependent on your income.

MeddyDuo

Jan 15, 2007
Originally posted by: huberm

even if they save your life??
Ok I'll rephrase: I hate going to the doctor.
I can't even remember the last time I was sick, and I eat only healthy stuff, so I don't really need to go there.
And since I'm young I don't see why I would need health insurance either.

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
I've never been required to get a checkup by my insurance.

You should get health insurance. Even if you plan on never using it on a routine basis, it can come in huge for unforeseen accidents. The car that clips you while you're crossing the street might just drive off, leaving you with huge medical bills. If you don't have insurance, this is a huge problem. (This happened to a friend of mine.)

Basically, accidents happen. It can cost many tens of thousands of dollars in medical care. If you don't have insurance, they'll come after you to pay it.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
It's different for every company. GO ask th eplace you work (or are wanting to work) what the benefits are for. You can always decline it but you don't get much. It's far cheaper to get insurance through a decent company than to get it on your own. ANd just not having any insurance is a dumb idea.

Sometimes if you have insurance through other means (wife, etc) you can ask to decline the health insurance and see if the company will pay you more or something like that but it's unlikely/

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

I can't even remember the last time I was sick, and I eat only healthy stuff, so I don't really need to go there.

ok so what you going to do if you fall down the stairs? what you going to do you are are not as healthy as you think you are?

but you do not need health insurance. just odn't bitch when you have huge hospital bills.

MeddyDuo

Jan 15, 2007
Originally posted by: waggy

ok so what you going to do if you fall down the stairs? what you going to do you are are not as healthy as you think you are?
I have a great track record for my health, so I don't see how I could be "not as healthy as I think I am". But I would rather pay for the expenses if and when they happen instead of getting a checkup every year or whenever.

But if I don't need to get a checkup, then of course I'd get the insurance. I just remember when I was on my family's insurance, we all had to get yearly checkups (or at least that was what my mom told me).

imported_hopeless

Oct 29, 2004

Even being young and eating healthy doesn't guarantee that something couldn't happen & medical bills pile up in a hurry.

My wife just had to have surgery in Aug and we now have around $20,000 in medical bills. One test alone was $3500. We also had to charge around $2500 between the surgeon, the anesthesiologist and the hospital just to get the ball rolling so she could have it done.

I think Chris Rock said it best, "In case crap happens." It's better to pay a little per pay check and never use it, then to not have it and need it. Especially when they hear no insurance they want money up front.

Dec 10, 2005

What if you fall down a flight of stairs? Who is going to cover the huge hospital bill? Insurance is to protect against the unexpected. As for going for regular check ups: preventative care. A doctor may catch something at a regular checkup before it becomes a real problem.

Edit: Didn't see Waggy's comment. Strange how we both picked the falling down stairs scenario.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003

You don't get health insurance for your every day maladies. If that's all we had to concern about, no one would bother with it. You get life insurance for the unexpected. You could get cancer, MS, break a bone, get into a car accident or any number of things.

I haven't been to a doctor for being sick for nearly six years, but I did break my jaw into multiple pieces. Insurance is for the unexpected.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

I have a great track record for my health, so I don't see how I could be "not as healthy as I think I am". But I would rather pay for the expenses if and when they happen instead of getting a checkup every year or whenever.

But if I don't need to get a checkup, then of course I'd get the insurance. I just remember when I was on my family's insurance, we all had to get yearly checkups (or at least that was what my mom told me).

ahh to be young dumb and think you are Invincible again. such a good time.

MeddyDuo

Jan 15, 2007

Oops I meant to say I don't see why I would need life insurance because I'm young.

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002

Are you serious? What if you get cancer? It doesnt matter how "healthy" you are. Its the unexpected things that are gonna cost you. If you got a serious illness, you could literally end up hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt. There are tons of things that can go wrong healthwise that have nothing to do with age or "eating healthy"

Just as an example: I recently tore my rotator cuff (certainly not something that is expected to happen). If I didnt have insurance, I would have paid thousands of dollars out of pocket for Doctor visits, MRI's, surgery, physical therapy,...

Without health insurance, a 20 minute visit to the doctor will cost you close to $200. Thats probably 3 months of insurance premium. The insurance companies only pay a fraction of that amount, but cash paying customers get raped. Your insurance will pay for itself with only a few uses, and you wont have to worry about landing in a pile of life ruining debt.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
I'm sorry MeddyDuo but, you aren't being realistic. NO ONE but the like of Bill Gates can afford to pay health costs out of pocket. If some accident lands you in the hospital you can easily rack up bills of $1500 per day! How long do you think you could be sick for before you either declare bankruptcy or place your family seriously in debt?

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
Hospital charges can add up to 10k per day easily. You dont need life insurance but you ought to carry enough so you're family can bury you.

Time to grow up.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
You need health insurance. It's foolish to decline it.

You don't need life insurance, since no one is dependent on your income.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Originally posted by: k1pp3r
When a job offers health insurance, don'tyou have to get a checkup every year or something like that?

Not that i have ever had to get

Can you turn down the health insurance if you don't want it?

Sure, but why would you?

Sometimes the plan an employer will offer are entirely worthless and you're better off shopping your own. That was my last employer. Thankfully my new employer is giving me a very decent plan and covering 100% of my premium (though I have to pay 100% of my wife's premium, so it's a wash).

With all that said, anyone without health insurance, when they can afford it, is a fool. Sh!t happens, and it will break the bank when it does. Hell, a freakin' MRI costs like $9K alone. My manager at my last job got bit by one of our rattlesnakes. Sh!tty that it happened, but if he's gonna get bit, at least it was at work and covered by worker's comp, 'cause so far the bills were already totaling over $1.5M (really really bad bite...he almost died and spent an entire month in and out between the ICU and PCU)

MeddyDuo

Jan 15, 2007
If I decided to pay for my own insurance, is there any insurance that I wouldn't have to get an initial checkup or yearly checkups for?