Health Insurance for college student with no job?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

virtueixi

Platinum Member
Jun 28, 2003
Originally posted by: DrNoobie
Originally posted by: virtueixi
Originally posted by: DrNoobie
Originally posted by: virtueixi
I don't know how badly he needs the medicine. This is obviously a last resort. I know a thing or two about the pharmacy/insurance industry(my father is a pharmacist/pharmacy owner) and i'd like to see the day someone is arrested for getting Straterra in this manner. So take your arrogance elsewhere and when you actually (if you ever) have first-hand experience with insurance then post something.

Tell that to the resident who got fired last week for giving a false prescription. :) Asshat.
Man you don't know sh!t. This statement just proves how little you know. How many prescriptions do you think are verified? Once they leave the doctors hands, it's pretty much up to the pharmacy to make any suspisions. I'm pretty sure that resident's prescriptions are monitored and co-signed in some cases. However, the fact that this resident was fired has nothing to do with this matter and if you can't see that oh well.

I'm sure GPs can get away with it just fine, but you can't pull that crap in a hospital unless you happen to be part of the senior staff. I love hearing you tell me how much I don't know, it makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. Condoning illegal and immoral practices give you a 10 in my book.

Whatever, I didn't condone anything. I was merely stating a last resort. You seem to know your way around some things, just not this. I don't want to argue with you. Gnight.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: amnesiac
Originally posted by: ReiAyanami
i signed up for a plan the other day for like $39/month. don't know if you're currently taking medication would restrict your coverage plans, but the insurance companies have bargaining power so it wouldn't cost them $400/month and you only pay $10/month

What the hell kind of plan is $39/ month? The cheapest ones from the major providers that I know of start around $60 for a 20-24 year old.

Is it like a $5000 deductible PPO or something?

Also, I sell health insurance, and I can say that yes, ADD meds WILL affect his ability to be insured. I'm not saying that ALL insurers will deny him coverage but I'd be willing to bet money that his coverage won't come easily.

Man, where on earth can you get health insurance for $60? Its minimum 300 a month around here (new york city).

hahher

Jan 23, 2004
Originally posted by: amnesiac
Originally posted by: ReiAyanami
i signed up for a plan the other day for like $39/month. don't know if you're currently taking medication would restrict your coverage plans, but the insurance companies have bargaining power so it wouldn't cost them $400/month and you only pay $10/month

What the hell kind of plan is $39/ month? The cheapest ones from the major providers that I know of start around $60 for a 20-24 year old.

Is it like a $5000 deductible PPO or something?

Also, I sell health insurance, and I can say that yes, ADD meds WILL affect his ability to be insured. I'm not saying that ALL insurers will deny him coverage but I'd be willing to bet money that his coverage won't come easily.

is ehealthinsurance.com accurate?

for 24yo souther california i get about 10 quotes of $40-$60

1) Plan Name Basic PPO 2500
Plan Type PPO
Estimated Monthly Cost $37.00
Deductible $2,500 per member. 2 member maximum
Coinsurance 20% of negotiated fee
Out-of-Pocket Limit $5,000 per member. 2 member maximum
Lifetime Maximum $5 Million per member

2) Plan Name PPO Value Basic NetSaver 1500
Plan Type PPO
Estimated Monthly Cost $35.00
Deductible $1,500 individual/$3,000 family
Coinsurance 25%
Out-of-Pocket Limit $4,000 individual/$8,000 family (includes deductible)
Lifetime Maximum $6 million

3) Plan Name Basic PPO 1000
Plan Type PPO
Estimated Monthly Cost $45.00
Deductible $1000 per member. 2 member maximum
Coinsurance 20% of negotiated fee
Out-of-Pocket Limit $3500 per member. 2 member maximum
Lifetime Maximum $5 Million per member

etc

where do you work?

Dec 1, 2003
I'd look into Fortis Health. I was considering going on it after I graduated from college but before I landed a job with health benefits. They have short-term plans and student plans, among other things. I haven't looked at the details so I don't know if they cover prescriptions.

I ended up getting a BCBS plan during that time and paid 92.50/mo for coverage.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
See if you can find the same drugs in the UK or something and have them shipped here. US drug prices are inflated, and there's a lot companies that will ship them internationally to you. Even with the shipping, they cost like half sometimes.

Otherwise you're fvcked. I got dumped at 22 parents insurance so fast as well. Its a good thing I had a job lined up otherwise I would have been out in the cold. Health insurance is getting totally unaffordable...you need to find a job with coverage. I'm seriously considering immigrating to Canada because of how bad its getting. Even when you have insurance you have to jump through 100 hoops to get covered.

I would possibly consider the fraud option in your case. If you can't find insurance, you'll have to get the stuff somehow. But regular insurance is around 350/mo around here...I haven't tried shopping for a private plan because my employer covers me....but my GF's work switched over to a borderline useless health savings style plan and I'm really worried what might happen if she gets hurt.

I don't feel to sorry for insurance companies when my dad pays 950/mo for family HMO coverage and then they still try to screw him with an MRI bill.

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000
Originally posted by: PingSpike
I don't feel to sorry for insurance companies when my dad pays 950/mo for family HMO coverage and then they still try to screw him with an MRI bill.

Hey I didn't know I was your dad! :)

I got screwed the same way. Still fighting it....

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000
Originally posted by: PingSpike
I'm seriously considering immigrating to Canada because of how bad its getting.

Canada by no means is the panacea. They have different problems, but they still have serious problems.

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: hahher

etc

where do you work?

I work at a family-owned company in Rolling Hills Estates.

We can sell insurance from nearly any company.

As for those quotes you got, they're pretty accurate now that I checked, but sometimes just having "minimum coverage" isn't enough. If you get clobbered by a nasty bug or a bus, and you rack up ER charges, you're still paying for 20% of it + $2500 deductible. Granted, it's better than paying 100% but that's enough to put anyone in a miserable situation.

Also, Blue Cross is good but a lot of doctors are starting to get fed up with them and not taking them anymore. Pacificare seems to be the hot ticket these days.