Health Insurance for college student with no job?

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
My insurance company just canned me since I am 22. I take pills that will now cost me $400 /month and I can't get off of them. The school insurance is pretty much crap and won't cover it. Are there cheap alternatives for health care out there other than my school health insurance? I just want them to cover the expense of the pills.
I can't work not this semester until May so that's not an option.

Foxman2000

Oct 12, 2003
drugs are bad, mmkay </Mr. Mackey>

In all seriousness, that's rediculous for pills, what are they for, if you don't mind.

Supertastic Fool

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Foxman2000
drugs are bad, mmkay </Mr. Mackey>

In all seriousness, that's rediculous for pills, what are they for, if you don't mind.

I resent that, I have never said drugs are bad. Look at my profile and you will understand.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
They've helped a lot. I can actually read books without my mind drifting off and I am doing much better in school and I'm focused. That's why it's important that I stay on them.

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Chances are most companies will reject you on sight stating a pre-existing condition (ADD). The state of health insurance is dire, with companies raising rates like crazy and turning down everyone they can.

In any case, find an insurance agent in your area. Not only does it give you someone local to talk to/answer your questions but they can probably give you quotes for several companies, including any that may allow you to enroll.

As a last ditch effort, see if your state has some sort of Major Medical program -- these are typically state-funded insurance programs for "uninsurables." Caveats: it is expensive, but usually less than what you're paying for pills. You must also have proof that you've gotten declined coverage, so you have to apply for insurance anyway.

Your best bet is to get into a group insurance policy -- you state that your school's is crap; make sure you're positive that they won't cover your pills, because they'd be your best choice. If you don't have a job that offers group benefits, find one. It will be substantially cheaper than major medical.

ReiAyanami

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2002
i signed up for a plan the other day for like $39/month. don't know if you're currently taking medication would restrict your coverage plans, but the insurance companies have bargaining power so it wouldn't cost them $400/month and you only pay $10/month

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: ReiAyanami
i signed up for a plan the other day for like $39/month. don't know if you're currently taking medication would restrict your coverage plans, but the insurance companies have bargaining power so it wouldn't cost them $400/month and you only pay $10/month

What the hell kind of plan is $39/ month? The cheapest ones from the major providers that I know of start around $60 for a 20-24 year old.

Is it like a $5000 deductible PPO or something?

Also, I sell health insurance, and I can say that yes, ADD meds WILL affect his ability to be insured. I'm not saying that ALL insurers will deny him coverage but I'd be willing to bet money that his coverage won't come easily.

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
Well since ADD isn't real anyways, consider yourself on equal footing compared to everyone else now. No insurance company will insure you if you are guaranteed to suck $400/month from them.

DrNoobie

Banned
Mar 3, 2004
ADD isn't real, it's a mindset. A recent study at Standford through an MRI showed that 8/10 kids diagnosed with ADD didn't really have it. Get off the pills, get some good insurance, or go to a free clinic...ew, free clinic.

slydecix

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2001
Originally posted by: DrNoobie
ADD isn't real, it's a mindset. A recent study at Standford through an MRI showed that 8/10 kids diagnosed with ADD didn't really have it. Get off the pills, get some good insurance, or go to a free clinic...ew, free clinic.
Just cuz it's overdiagnosed doesn't mean it's not real.

DrNoobie

Banned
Mar 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Elitebull
Just cuz it's overdiagnosed doesn't mean it's not real.

I would have to go much deeper into the study to explain the problem the other two kids showed. There is an increase in activity, but it is not the ADD as the general public knows it.

virtueixi

Platinum Member
Jun 28, 2003
I know that this isnt exactly legal but... why not ask your doctor to precribe it to your parents? That way the insurance would still cover it.

DrNoobie

Banned
Mar 3, 2004
Originally posted by: virtueixi
I know that this isnt exactly legal but... why not ask your doctor to precribe it to your parents? That way the insurance would still cover it.

....wow....

DrNoobie

Banned
Mar 3, 2004

....wow....

wow what?

"wow" the idiocy of that statement. Hardcore fraud.

virtueixi

Platinum Member
Jun 28, 2003

....wow....

wow what?

Hey people do that to get aderols (If you know what that is) and other junk they don't need just to stay up. This fraud is commited everyday. Legally it's wrong, but morally he needs the medicine. I don't have to do this, I have insurance. But if I were in his shoes, i might consider it.

DrNoobie

Banned
Mar 3, 2004

....wow....

wow what?

Hey people do that to get aderols (If you know what that is) and other junk they don't need just to stay up. This fraud is commited everyday. Legally it's wrong, but morally he needs the medicine. I don't have to do this, I have insurance. But if I were in his shoes, i might consider it.

My God, genius, I know what adderall is. The fact of the matter is it is illegal, for the doctor and for the patient. He doesn't need the medicine, it's not like its Amoxicillin to treat a strepococcal infection. What you're suggesting is one of the most moronic things I've heard all day.

virtueixi

Platinum Member
Jun 28, 2003

....wow....

wow what?

My God, genius, I know what adderall is. The fact of the matter is it is illegal, for the doctor and for the patient. He doesn't need the medicine, it's not like its Amoxicillin to treat a strepococcal infection. What you're suggesting is one of the most moronic things I've heard all day.

I don't know how badly he needs the medicine. This is obviously a last resort. I know a thing or two about the pharmacy/insurance industry(my father is a pharmacist/pharmacy owner) and i'd like to see the day someone is arrested for getting Straterra in this manner. So take your arrogance elsewhere and when you actually (if you ever) have first-hand experience with insurance then post something.

DrNoobie

Banned
Mar 3, 2004
I don't know how badly he needs the medicine. This is obviously a last resort. I know a thing or two about the pharmacy/insurance industry(my father is a pharmacist/pharmacy owner) and i'd like to see the day someone is arrested for getting Straterra in this manner. So take your arrogance elsewhere and when you actually (if you ever) have first-hand experience with insurance then post something.

Tell that to the resident who got fired last week for giving a false prescription. :) Asshat.

virtueixi

Platinum Member
Jun 28, 2003

Tell that to the resident who got fired last week for giving a false prescription. :) Asshat.
Man you don't know sh!t. This statement just proves how little you know. How many prescriptions do you think are verified? Once they leave the doctors hands, it's pretty much up to the pharmacy to make any suspisions. I'm pretty sure that resident's prescriptions are monitored and co-signed in some cases. However, the fact that this resident was fired has nothing to do with this matter and if you can't see that oh well.

DrNoobie

Banned
Mar 3, 2004

Man you don't know sh!t. This statement just proves how little you know. How many prescriptions do you think are verified? Once they leave the doctors hands, it's pretty much up to the pharmacy to make any suspisions. I'm pretty sure that resident's prescriptions are monitored and co-signed in some cases. However, the fact that this resident was fired has nothing to do with this matter and if you can't see that oh well.

I'm sure GPs can get away with it just fine, but you can't pull that crap in a hospital unless you happen to be part of the senior staff. I love hearing you tell me how much I don't know, it makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. Condoning illegal and immoral practices give you a 10 in my book.