Health effects of AC routers and N routers (2.4ghz vs 5ghz).

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironk

Jun 18, 2001
I am looking into the health effects of AC routers vs N only routers and I am finding that many articles state that the 5ghz frequency is safer than 2.4ghz? However, isn't AC more than just 5ghz and maybe transmits signals at a much higher "rate" and distance? I am wondering if it is better to then stay with N only router for health.

frowertr

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2010
Finding definitive health affects (adverse or not) for routers, cell phones, cordless phones, blue tooth etc., is like looking for the lost city of Atlantis. Lots of research with little or no substance. The power output is so low that it's considered safe. But I'm sure there are plenty of people that think it's not either just like there are those that think vaccinations cause autism.

5Ghz has less penetration than 2.4Ghz so it typically has less distance.

Your probably more likely to to develop health issues due to UVA and UVB emitted from the sun when outside than you are from APs. That's my opinion anyway.

Last edited:

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Finding definitive health affects (adverse or not) for routers, cell phones, cordless phones, blue tooth etc., is like looking for the lost city of Atlantis. Lots of research with little or no substance. The power output is so low that it's considered safe. But I'm sure there are plenty of people that think it's not either just like there are those that think vaccinations cause autism.

5Ghz has less penetration than 2.4Ghz so it typically has less distance.

Your probably more likely to to develop health issues due to UVA and UVB emitted from the sun when outside than you are from APs. That's my opinion anyway.

Yeah, I'm sure it has some sort of negative health impact, but given the period of time we've had cell phones & the fact that there is no glaring issues that kill you right away...meh. Especially meh when you think about how much crap is in the air around you...cell phone signals, AM radio, FM radio, XM-Sirius radio, all the government signals floating around, plus the sun's UV stuff...yeah. You can't escape it :D

ironk

Jun 18, 2001
I guess I was asking more about going with a AC router or a N router. If you had a choice between the two, which one would you go with if health/safety was the concern?

Certainly there many things that can cause problems but I think it is better to lessen them, especially inside the house. I think this whole "you can't escape it", is not a good excuse. At least try....

Last edited:

frowertr

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2010
There are no health concern, in my mind, with ANY access Point. There are only two factors I consider: Price and Performance. That means I pick AC every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

I get your concern, but the amount of RF energy emitted by these things are so low that the consensus is that smoking, drinking, background radiation, sunlight, driving in your car to the supermarket, etc., is far more detrimental to your health that the tiny amount of energy coming out of an AP.

Last edited:

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
The only way to be safe:

bcs-chuck.jpg

ironk

Jun 18, 2001
I will look into this more, but thanks everyone. :)

Last edited:

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
No more impact than the radiation coming from the sun, which is quite a bit more powerful. You realize you're bombarded with more energy from space than you will get from a wifi router, right?

Feb 25, 2011
Start with the output power of the WAP. Factor in the distance, intervening walls, and the inverse-cube drop off... you're getting tiny fractions of a milliwatt of exposure, unless you somehow managed to swallow your wifi hotspot.

Eating farmed fish (mercury) or making microwave popcorn (microwaves leak enough power to completely drown out local 2.4GHz spectrum communications) will probably kill you long before the WAP does. If sun exposure, the american diet, or tripping over your own two feet don't get you first.

Basically, everything under the sun, including the sun, does damage to you and your cells, dna, etc. The trick, if you can call it that, is to do a small enough amount of damage that you can heal yourself faster than the damage is being done.

Last edited:

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
There has been no evidence that any wifi has ANY health effects at all. Remember this is low power non-ionizing radiation, its the same type of radiation but at a MUCH lower power as AM/FM radio, sattellite, HAM, etc. The frequencies are all different but they are all radiation sources...but then again so is the sun and so are bananas.

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
Also, AC is only 5ghz, but most still have N radios as well to support legacy 2.4ghz devices.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
I am willing to Trade.

You tell me which one is more Dangerous, Bigfoot, Sasquatch, or Yeti.

In turn, I will tell you about Entry Level Wireless Routers.

:cool:

Just Mark

Feb 21, 2016
I am certain that my 55 years of exposure to RF radiation is what has caused me to go grey and have wrinkles on my face. I am also certain that another 55 years of exposure is going to kill me.

jegesq

Feb 18, 2016
I am looking into the health effects of AC routers vs N only routers and I am finding that many articles state that the 5ghz frequency is safer than 2.4ghz? However, isn't AC more than just 5ghz and maybe transmits signals at a much higher "rate" and distance? I am wondering if it is better to then stay with N only router for health.

Actually, you have it exactly backwards: 5ghz transmits at a higher frequency than 2.4ghz, and the radio waves do not travel as far with 5ghz than they do with 2.4ghz. Think of it like sound waves: You can hear the much lower frequencies of the bass woofer in a car coming from blocks away, and yet you cannot hear the tweeter until the car is almost next to you. Same principle: low frequency waves travel farther than higher frequencies. This is why 5ghz AC does not provide nearly the kind of coverage at distances as does 2.4ghz. 5hgz simply doesn't travel as far and thus is really intended for optimal use at closer distances.

The 802.11 AC standard essentially allows for wider (not more powerful) channel broadcasting (think of a bigger pipe) which allows the transmission of more data than narrower channels than does the narrower channels that are within the 802.11n spec. While the higher frequencies need to be broadcast at a higher power than the lower 2.4ghz frequencies, "higher" is all relative, and we're talking about only milliwatts of difference. Not enough to affect anyone's health.

The other part of the health effect equation that you're overlooking is that it's not just the frequency at which radio waves are transmitted, but also the power at which they are transmitted. Consumer routers pose literally no health issues, and in part this is due to the specifications that manufactures are required to meet with respect to limiting the effective levels of radiation and by limiting the power at which such routers are permitted to transmit (and why many manufacturers are now "locking down" their devices so that end users can no longer modify transmit power per new FCC regs).

But if you're concerned, put on that tin foil hat.

Last edited:

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
I thought the power level was irrelevant.

The frequency can't ionize, so increasing the power wouldn't do anything would it?

The wireless routers limit the power output to avoid interfering with everyone else - sets a finite limit where the neighborhood won't be saturated.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I thought the power level was irrelevant.

The frequency can't ionize, so increasing the power wouldn't do anything would it?

The wireless routers limit the power output to avoid interfering with everyone else - sets a finite limit where the neighborhood won't be saturated.

Microwave ovens don't ionize either, but they cook food. But they operate at like 1500w, vs maybe 1w for a router. I think frequency matters too though.

That said the low power levels of communication equipment is more than likely way below the danger threshold. I would not worry really.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

5G kills

Mar 31, 2018
And you have difficulty understanding the difference between ionising and non-ionising radiation.
Oh grasshopper. You have much catching up to do. https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19810017132.pdf Page 4. "The second restriction requires a clear distinction between ionizing radiation and NIR, and actually there is none. Both forms of radiation are electromagnetic waves, and they seem to differ only in terms of frequency. Generally, ionizing radiation is at the high (in frequency) end of the spectrum, while NIR occupies the lower part. What frequency marks the dividing line between ionizing and nonionizing radiation? A standard definition for ionizing radiation was found; however, it is arbitrary and does not identify an abrupt physical threshold." Good luck.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
:rolleyes: Pretty sure that ~1300 W/m^2 worth of wide spectrum power flux from the sun, highly concentrated at frequencies 10000x higher than the measly 0.1W radiated RF power from a typical router, is a lot more worrying. You might as well wear a tin foil suit every time you go outside if you are still worried about this.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Oh grasshopper. You have much catching up to do. https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19810017132.pdf Page 4. "The second restriction requires a clear distinction between ionizing radiation and NIR, and actually there is none. Both forms of radiation are electromagnetic waves, and they seem to differ only in terms of frequency. Generally, ionizing radiation is at the high (in frequency) end of the spectrum, while NIR occupies the lower part. What frequency marks the dividing line between ionizing and nonionizing radiation? A standard definition for ionizing radiation was found; however, it is arbitrary and does not identify an abrupt physical threshold." Good luck.

Don't vaccinate either. But keep your kids out of school. We must weed out stupidity.

No personal attacks allowed
in the tech areas.

AT Mod Usandthem

Last edited by a moderator:

5G kills

Mar 31, 2018
Don't vaccinate either. But keep your kids out of school. We must weed out stupidity.
So sorry for you. It appears your central nervous system has succumbed to the health effects of your wireless fun-boat. No matter how ignorant a person chooses to be about this extinction event, it still saddens me when one appears to be succumbing to psychosis - just one of the risk factors of over exposure to toxic agents. May God have mercy on your soul.

Personal attacks are not
allowed in the tech areas.

AT Mod Usandthem

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.