Heads up to those of you who RARELY play video games (Bioshock Infinite)

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
If you're one of those types who only buys a game once in a blue moon, a very casual gamer who has real life concerns that distract you... and I know there are a lot of people like that...

I just wanted to give you a heads up, a game is coming out tomorrow (or tonight at midnight if you prefer) which sounds like it will be one of those rare games even you will want to make a point to play.

I've been a fan of the "Shock" games since 1999 with System Shock 2, and I know a lot of you will have played Bioshock. This game is Bioshock Infinite, and it's getting outlandishly good reviews.

Here's a quote from one review:

"I don't know how else to tell you that this is the game videogames were made for. It’s the game every other designer wishes they could make. It’s a watershed moment for our industry, and I’d be hard pressed to tell you that anything that came before is better. More so, however, I can’t imagine that anything else, in my lifetime, will top this. All bold statements, I know, but this is it and I’m reviewing it. BioShock Infinite is the sort of game we dream of reviewing. It’s the Ocarina of Time of this generation (only infinitely better), and will be talked about and analysed for years to come."

So, I strongly encourage you to grab it. It's available for purchase and preload on Steam now, it should unlock and be playable in the next couple of hours... and here is a link to it's Metacritic scores if you like:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/bioshock-infinite

Last edited by a moderator:

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
It saddens me that the metacritic link you posted has a bunch of reviews and not one of the previews explains the game in any way.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
The game is set in an alternate timeline, I believe in the 1800's, steam technology... magic... takes place on a floating city in the sky called Columbia.

Head over to GameSpot.com and check out some of their preview videos for it.

It has an amazing setting and art design.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
The game is set in an alternate timeline, I believe in the 1800's, steam technology... magic... takes place on a floating city in the sky called Columbia.

Head over to GameSpot.com and check out some of their preview videos for it.

It has an amazing setting and art design.

Ahh steam punk, not interested. Tough guys with mechanically driven monocles are not cool. :p

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
I'm somewhat interested in this game; but I heard the same praise when Bioshock (1) came out.

I thought it sucked. Pretty and interesting at first. Then you realize it's just a boring shooter with some underwhelming pseudo-RPG 'powers' and a shitty repetitive minigame.

I wish there was a forum for video game discussions.

It seems pretty plain that he posted here specifically for the people who no longer visit the games forums, but probably played stuff like SS2 growing up or in early adulthood. And, like me, they probably saw the stupid pre-rendered FF-style commercials for this game and wrote it off as another stupid cashgrab.

Last edited:

Jodell88

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
The game I'm waiting for is Transistor. Too bad it's coming out next year. :(

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
I get skeptical whenever anyone compares a game to Ocarina of Time or any others in the great pantheon of gaming. Few of the ones on my list are shooters. A lot of people said the same thing about Bioshock, it got many perfect scores. Sure the game had an interesting story and unique local, but it's not fundamentally different than most other FPS games of its era.

Curious that this game is $60 on Steam. Normally that price range is only reserved for massive RPGs. I think I'll pass on it at least until Steam's summer sale.

Anonemous

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
I get skeptical whenever anyone compares a game to Ocarina of Time or any others in the great pantheon of gaming. Few of the ones on my list are shooters. A lot of people said the same thing about Bioshock, it got many perfect scores. Sure the game had an interesting story and unique local, but it's not fundamentally different than most other FPS games of its era.

Curious that this game is $60 on Steam. Normally that price range is only reserved for massive RPGs. I think I'll pass on it at least until Steam's summer sale.

It's 46$ at Green man gaming. You get xcom, 2 games, with bioshock infinite and $14 cash back.

T9D

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2001
I saw that game. It did look awesome. I didn't know it was coming out so soon. I may pick it up for PC.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
Well I checked the metacritic score for Bioshock 1, from 2007, and it's at 96/100 just like Bioshock Infinite is currently at.

That surprised me, that it was so high still after so many reviews (presumably every review there will ever be, for the most part) have come out.

I loved Bioshock 1, mind you. Just saying, surprised it still sits at 96/100.

So, I guess those of you who are saying you didn't like Bioshock 1 and are therefore dubious about this game, probably have a point. If you truly weren't wowed by the creativity and gameplay of Bioshock 1... I just don't know what to tell you other than that I respect your different viewpoint, but I pity you!

You're probably right, you probably won't like this either. You may still want to give it a chance though, given the very different setting and some interesting new game mechanics...

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012

I'm pretty sure EA decided that PC games are now also $60. Like two or three years ago, easy. None of the other publishers (all one or two of them) seemed to argue.

I might like Bioshock more if I played it on PC. Not being a big console shooter person, I found it too difficult when I played on 360. Mostly, I just couldn't seem to get enough ammo to make up for my horrible aim.

But I'm extremely leery of Infinite on PC. How long has it been since a multi-platform game was not a complete buggy piece of shit? Sucks that once I upgraded my PC to spank 360 ports, people quit making working ones.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
They are dumping money into advertising for this game, just saw it on ESPN. How much did they pay you to make this thread? /suspicious

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Bioshock was good, but not fantastic. The gameplay was actually pretty repetitive, and it was really the setting/atmosphere/art-direction that made up for most of that.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
How long has it been since a multi-platform game was not a complete buggy piece of shit?

I find they've been getting better about this honestly.

Deus Ex Human Revolution?
Tomb Raider (2013)?
Dead Space series?

I don't think most multi-platform titles are buggy pieces of shit anymore...

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
I find they've been getting better about this honestly.

Deus Ex Human Revolution?
Tomb Raider (2013)?
Dead Space series?

I don't think most multi-platform titles are buggy pieces of shit anymore...

They seem to be on PC. They don't spend any time testing compatibility; it's often as if they only ran the game on one computer, probably with high-end stuff that would help make up for shitty, inefficient coding. Nor do they give a shit about patches. Which seems odd, seeing as they don't cost any money to release. They cost money to make, yes, but on 360 it costs money to get them 'certified' or whatever and put out for download, too.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
I normally wait until the price drops to buy games but may have to go pick this one up over the weekend.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
They seem to be on PC. They don't spend any time testing compatibility; it's often as if they only ran the game on one computer, probably with high-end stuff that would help make up for shitty, inefficient coding. Nor do they give a shit about patches. Which seems odd, seeing as they don't cost any money to release. They cost money to make, yes, but on 360 it costs money to get them 'certified' or whatever and put out for download, too.

I haven't had too many issues lately... but I hear you.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
I normally wait until the price drops to buy games but may have to go pick this one up over the weekend.

Not to postwhore up in this thread, but I feel it's worth noting that PC game prices tend to drop pretty rapidly. I'm assuming it's because they know the really interested people are going to pick it up on launch, and past that, a $50-60 price point doesn't sustain any sales. At least, not like it might on consoles nowadays.

You'll kick yourself in a month when it's on sale for 29.99.

Hell, in a year it'll probably go 75% off on Steam. I think, actually, that I own but have never played the original Bioshock for PC...after I had bought and sold it for Xbox without beating it, I saw it on sale for like 4.99 or something. When it was still 40 or more for 360.

I haven't had too many issues lately... but I hear you.

To be fair, it's been a year or two for me. But it was something that seemed to be getting exponentially worse as the gamut of PC hardware got wider (e.g. manufacturers aren't just saying, 'okay, this needs to work on Voodoo2 and RivaTNT!') and the market got slimmer (and exclusives nearly disappeared).

Last edited:

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
i was disappointed by bioshock1

"you're at the end!!! just kidding"

fuck you assholes.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
I played the first bioshock for like an hour before I got bored. It's like COD with some fantasy elements. It seems like a good game, but it's not my style.

Feb 10, 2000
The original Bioshock is my favorite game of all time. Bioshock 2 was much less interesting - I never got around to finishing it - but I very much look forward to Bioshock: Infinite.