headphones with pc and tv

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
I've just noticed today that when I have my headphones pluged in to my pc the sound on the same speakes are AWESOME. Well maybe not but MUCH MUCH better then what I get out of hearing them on my pc.

PC set up

On my pc I have the SB 1024 card. I plug my *cheap* headphones in to the speaker out one. I do use a splitter as I can't be assed to go around the back and switch for my speaker to my headphones. The splitter is a simple 1 3.5mm jack to 3.5mm female. One for speaker and one for headphone.

I am listening to mp3's on my pc. They are at 128kbps. The sound in winamp is turned to the max. The sound in the sound properites is turned to max also. Both Playcontrol and Wave/directsound. The volume control on the headphone cord is also on max.

The tv is a 32" Wega HZ model no DS as its cack with built in tv stuff. Got amp for better sound. I plug the same headphones in to the headphone on the tv and it sounds MUCH better. The sound is much clearer and you can play it much louder. The bass is also much stronger. I am listening to mtv, mtv2 and other various Sky Digital Channels. The sound is so much better and you can play it louder. Why is this?

So why do you think the sound on my tv output is much louder then my pc? Is the sound card just not cutting it?

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
You're using a line out connector on your sound card, and an amplified connector on the TV.

Viper GTS

Koing

Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
You're using a line out connector on your sound card, and an amplified connector on the TV.

Viper GTS

So the line out that is the speaker out doesn't amplify the sound at all? So the 4.1 speaker set up is just running off the line out? I don't have an amplify that I know of. Its only in I have 4 small satellites and one sub.

So the tv headphone jack had an amplifer connected to it?

Koing

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Koing
Originally posted by: Viper GTS

Viper GTS

So the line out that is the speaker out doesn't amplify the sound at all? So the 4.1 speaker set up is just running off the line out? I don't have an amplify that I know of. Its only in I have 4 small satellites and one sub.

So the tv headphone jack had an amplifer connected to it?

Koing

Odds are you're using powered speakers, which are designed to take unamplified input.

The TV, however, expects you to be using unpowered headphones & amplifies the signal.

Viper GTS

Koing

Oct 11, 2000
thanks. The speakers are powered.

Any good sound cards that amplify sound out so its better for headphones or not?

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Koing
thanks. The speakers are powered.

Any good sound cards that amplify sound out so its better for headphones or not?

Good sound cards specifically do not include onboard amplifiers, as they tend to degrade sound quality.

If you really must use headphones on your PC, you might look into an external headphone amp.

Viper GTS