headphone amp justified or not..?

WildThane

Jan 19, 2006
I have an asus ROG motherboard with good sound capadilites I tried out a friends sennheiser pc 363d headset on my computer they sounded good but lacking in my opinion if I pull the trigger on a new set of them would i benefit by adding a headphone Amp to get a little more sound depth in the mid to lower sound range, my old headset is a turtlebeach Ear Force HPA2 they have been good but its time to upgrade. if a headphone amp is justified what suggestions would anyone have I have look at he Mayflower Electronics Objective 2 ODAC / Amplifier and others in that range However I really have no Idea, I would be using this setup 75% gaming and 25% music and other. Thanks.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I would think that you're wasting your time. If you really want to throw money at it, buy a stand alone sound card like the latest xfi. Headphone amps are mostly useful for things with limited power output. That's something I've never worried about with PC audio.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
I would think that you're wasting your time. If you really want to throw money at it, buy a stand alone sound card like the latest xfi. Headphone amps are mostly useful for things with limited power output. That's something I've never worried about with PC audio.

I bought a headphone amp for my Sennheiser HD 598's after I noticed clipping at moderate/high volumes from my laptop's headphone jack. It solved the problem.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002

$$$$$

A stand alone amp is a great way to fix his problem without requiring him to go buy a new card.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
It may be, but I don't think further investment is worth it for onboard sound. I wouldn't even buy headphones that would require an amp if I was just going to use onboard sound.

If you're not going to buy a soundcard, but want nice cans, get some of those USB headsets that are all-inclusive instead.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
These days, even onboard controllers can sound 'good enough' for most people. Often, it's the amplifier itself that truly matters. With onboard sound, all someone really needs is an amplified signal. So if they already have headphones and are otherwise happy with their PC, a $30 amp can be all they need.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Many new motherboards marketed for gaming have built in headphone amps. It's not unheard of to use a headphone amp for onboard audio.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
$$$$$

A stand alone amp is a great way to fix his problem without requiring him to go buy a new card.

You can get a new creative labs card for like $33. Just seems like an amp for onboard sound is a band-aid for a problem that would be better solved another way.

Or you can go all in and get a package like this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102049

I mean if you're going to go through all the trouble of buying headphones that actually require an amp and then buying an amp, sticking with onboard sound is a questionable decision.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
You can get a new creative labs card for like $33. Just seems like an amp for onboard sound is a band-aid for a problem that would be better solved another way.

Or you can go all in and get a package like this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102049

I mean if you're going to go through all the trouble of buying headphones that actually require an amp and then buying an amp, sticking with onboard sound is a questionable decision.

I don't disagree with what you're saying; I have a profire2626 and DT770's. Just that sometimes people are trying to work with what they have nor want to mess around with buying sound cards, etc. when all they really need is a little juice for their headphones.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
It looks like that headset comes with a USB sound card, so no, that headset seems to be designed as a stand alone product.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
These days, even onboard controllers can sound 'good enough' for most people. Often, it's the amplifier itself that truly matters. With onboard sound, all someone really needs is an amplified signal. So if they already have headphones and are otherwise happy with their PC, a $30 amp can be all they need.

This does nothing to my argument.

I get where you're coming from, but I don't see how that applies to what I said.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
This does nothing to my argument.

I get where you're coming from, but I don't see how that applies to what I said.

I was trying to agree with what you said, while addressing the situation in which someone already has a nice set of headphones and onboard sound.

I'd 100% push your advice if the OP was starting from scratch.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
I was trying to agree with what you said, while addressing the situation in which someone already has a nice set of headphones and onboard sound.

I'd 100% push your advice if the OP was starting from scratch.

Okay, that makes more sense.