He is "lead by" or "led by"?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Alone
Fixed.

If I ask "Should I wear my white shirt or blue shirt", you're to choose one of the two, not say "the stripped one". While it may be the more appropriate shirt to wear, it is not what I was asking.

Oh quit being such a pansy. If someone asks for English help (which essentially that's what this is), someone can offer an even better word to use.

Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
If a question is "do cows udder the sound 'arf arf' or 'meow'?" one is not forced to chose between incorrect answers. Unless one is easily misled, or follows instructions blindly.

Psst, the only thing cows "udder" is milk :p

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Aikouka
Fixed.

If I ask "Should I wear my white shirt or blue shirt", you're to choose one of the two, not say "the stripped one". While it may be the more appropriate shirt to wear, it is not what I was asking.

Oh quit being such a pansy. If someone asks for English help (which essentially that's what this is), someone can offer an even better word to use.

If a question is "do cows udder the sound 'arf arf' or 'meow'?" one is not forced to chose between incorrect answers. Unless one is easily misled, or follows instructions blindly.

Psst, the only thing cows "udder" is milk :p
Check the batteries in your pun detector :)

Alone

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2006
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons If a question is "do cows udder the sound 'arf arf' or 'meow'?" one is not forced to chose between incorrect answers. Unless one is easily misled, or follows instructions blindly.

"Led by" is correct, regardless of whether or not it is the most correct. Because, in fact, it is the most correct of the two. A cow does not "meow", nor does it "arf arf".

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Check the batteries in your pun detector :)

Ahh that sound it was uddering must've been the battery low warning ;).

I didn't think you'd go for such a nerdy pun... although it looks like something dorky that I'd do too :p.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004

If I say "Which is the better option, A or B?", the answer "Well, C is the BEST option, but of those two, B" is perfectly acceptible to me. It's dumb to assume that the limited options you present represent the only possibilities.

Alone

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2006
Originally posted by: jagec

If I say "Which is the better option, A or B?", the answer "Well, C is the BEST option, but of those two, B" is perfectly acceptible to me. It's dumb to assume that the limited options you present represent the only possibilities.

But he wasn't asking which was the best option, he was asking which of the two was the better option.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
There is nothing wrong with saying an individual is led by someone else. Whether he is led as part of a group or individually, you can single one person out and say that he is led by someone else.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: jagec

But he wasn't asking which was the best option, he was asking which of the two was the better option.

Did you even read my post? We told him which was the better option, AND we told him that there was an even better option that wasn't listed. No need to get all huffy.