News [hdtvtest tftcentral] asus rog swift pg42uq oled monitor. 42" 4k 120hz dp1.4 vrr built in 2.1(mit ̶i̶o̶d̶i̶n̶e̶ custom heatsink for reduced burn in)

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Wish it wasn’t ugly and ROG branding focused, I’d buy it over the C2 for the matte AG alone. Really the sleek design of the LG will probably push me in that direction, especially if we see some <$1000 sales later this year. I use a CX 48 currently but wouldn’t mind a step down in size.

Reactions: Leeea

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
I'd really kill for a 37" 4K OLED 120Hz+ but it looks like that size just won't be made. The ASUS is on pre-order in the UK for around £1,300-1,400, which isn't terrible but isn't good pricing either.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
not sure if it is the same panel but flatpanels says
Acer, Dell Alienware, LG Electronics, MSI and Philips have also launched or announced OLED monitors intended for gaming and media consumption.

as much as i cant find any fault with the pg42uq, given the size i really wouldnt mind having the flexible bend gimmick from the corsair ultrawide for those times when i want a little eyestrain relief. if the plastics held up to the bending long term, it really is everything you could want. if the asus had it i would probably snap buy at $1200.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Judging by how the heatsink seems to vent up, i don't think this can be placed in portrait mode, which is a shame.
Also will probably weight a ton.

I am really down to put something of this size on a ergotron HX arm in portrait if it could handle it.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
TFTCentral full review. At a similar price I'd prefer it over the C2, but the price difference, doesn't seem justified:

given the size i really wouldnt mind having the flexible bend gimmick from the corsair ultrawide for those times when i want a little eyestrain relief.

LG has a power Bending version of the 42":

LG-OLED-Flex-Product-01-e1661761613837-600x407.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Leeea and gorobei

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
The biggest downside tho in using a TV over a real monitor is the lack of sleep / shutdown.
When your PC goes to sleep, monitors will typically shut its self off and go in low power standby.
I do not know what happens to a TV when there is no signal output from the videocard.

Do they goto sleep as well? or do they do that annoying screen saver fireworks stuff my LG OLED does?
Well mine is an older LG OLED which does the fireworks, so i do not know what the newer ones do.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
TFTCentral full review. At a similar price I'd prefer it over the C2, but the price difference, doesn't seem justified:

LG has a power Bending version of the 42":

LG-OLED-Flex-Product-01-e1661761613837-600x407.jpg
oh man, that is quite the conundrum. the utility of the flex vs longer life from the better heatsink.
The biggest downside tho in using a TV over a real monitor is the lack of sleep / shutdown.
When your PC goes to sleep, monitors will typically shut its self off and go in low power standby.
I do not know what happens to a TV when there is no signal output from the videocard.

Do they goto sleep as well? or do they do that annoying screen saver fireworks stuff my LG OLED does?
Well mine is an older LG OLED which does the fireworks, so i do not know what the newer ones do.
i think one of the videos i posted went into a brief bit about auto screen shift/jitter to prevent burn in, as well as better sleep wake since it is meant to be a monitor. the asus has a special mode to dim mode to prevent high contrast burn in and run cooler in general.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
i think one of the videos i posted went into a brief bit about auto screen shift/jitter to prevent burn in, as well as better sleep wake since it is meant to be a monitor. the asus has a special mode to dim mode to prevent high contrast burn in and run cooler in general.

Screen shift/jitter does very little except blur the edges of burn in zone. A lot of "prevention" modes can end up being very annoying.

Bottom line is that burn in is still a thing, and care is needed when using as a desktop screen.

I'd probably only use it paired with an LCD that gets the web surfing, office stuff, and use the OLED for Games/Video.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
Screen shift/jitter does very little except blur the edges of burn in zone. A lot of "prevention" modes can end up being very annoying.

Bottom line is that burn in is still a thing, and care is needed when using as a desktop screen.

I'd probably only use it paired with an LCD that gets the web surfing, office stuff, and use the OLED for Games/Video.
while i have the desk space for a 43" and maybe a 27" on the side for browsing, it seems a little wasteful. if i was really concerned about burn in i would probably just wait for lcd with micro-led fald backlight.

that's why i'm really curious about the heatsink on the asus. theoretically burn in should be temperature dependent, so if you can keep the panel cooler the longevity issues can be lessened. if it is a 42" heatsink in contact with the panel, then i might take a chance on the asus. if it is just a heatsink on some of the panel driving electronics i'd probably pass.

separating the driver parts into the stand the way the LG and corsair have gone seems like a good way to cut down the heat reaching the panel. it will be interesting if somebody goes with active cooling fans.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
hdtvReview of the LG oled flex LX3
the bend mechanism is motorized, you control it by remote. it goes back to flat when powered down and remembers last bend on wake. sounds expensive.

sadly it has a tv tuner, webOS, and a bunch of streaming services in the software, way to many tv features for those who want a purely pc monitor.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
the bend mechanism is motorized, you control it by remote. it goes back to flat when powered down and remembers last bend on wake. sounds expensive.

sadly it has a tv tuner, webOS, and a bunch of streaming services in the software, way to many tv features for those who want a purely pc monitor.

The bending on shutdown & startup sounds like a longevity issue to me, quite why they'd want to add unnecessary bends is beyond me.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006

LG color control on their TVs is better than almost any monitor, and you don't have to connect your TV to the internet.

Personally I don't like curved, so I really don't care about this latest motor-curve gimmick.

I just want a 28-32" 2560x1440 OLED. They can already do that with current pixel pitches they are shipping, and they've already shown 240Hz refresh on their 45" Ultrawide, so it should be a given at 2560x1440, plus just flat, with no gimicks, smaller size should drop price under $1000.

I'd actually prefer if it was a TV since as before, their TV color controls seem better than the monitor ones.

thigobr

Sep 4, 2016
Man 240Hz really makes a difference on OLED screens. I am just waiting for a proper flat screen <= 42" and 240Hz to pull the trigger on one!

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
Linus decided to swap out the LG c2 in his home setup for the asus pg42uq. 50% of the video is him troubleshooting his ridiculous 100 foot kvm setup so be prepared to skip around.
if you want a pure monitor experience, the uniform brightness seems to work as advertised and the anti glare is impressive. the heatsink seems less impressive from the asus thermal imaging but may be more valuable as a long term thing. the usb port locations are nice for streamers.

the lack of displayport from LG is troubling for me.

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
These giant size monitor just to big for me! The right size is 27"-28" size for me! I do not use multiple monitors and use only one window at a time! I know I an idiot! I am waiting to upgrade to a mini QLED technology when it comes down in price. Still have the 3/4" thick bezel on my 2715 Dell 4K that I paid $4K for back in the days when 4K was like cutting edge tech! o_O :eek:

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Man 240Hz really makes a difference on OLED screens. I am just waiting for a proper flat screen <= 42" and 240Hz to pull the trigger on one!

Yes, this would be a big improvement. The LG CX/C1 models support BFI at 120hz (which is like an underlying 240hz) and it makes a quite noticeable difference in motion clarity, but I don't use it because it cuts the brightness in half too.

The TV does go into standby with the PC, but it can be finicky in turning back on when the PC is turned on. I just turn both the TV and PC on or off together.

Last edited:

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Very soon, I think some people have them already. It sounds like the firmware is kind of a mess and the LG C2 is the way to go here.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
B&Hphoto has it listed for $1400 available on oct 21

edit: removed google tracker crap from link

Last edited: