HDTV..we are buying on ..maybe tomorow now

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

amol

Lifer
Jul 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Ikonomi
Originally posted by: Goosemaster
Seems like you should be able to calibrate any set to within the range you like... But the ones on display are probably grossly mis-calibrated. If you like the Samsung so much, get that one and then use the test patterns on Avia Home Theatre or something to get it right.

Wish I could help, but we don't have a nice TV. 27" Zenith. :p

Currently we have a 1972 RCA:Q

Cool, your new HD set will be a step up. :)

Step up? They're going up a WHOLE STAIRCASE!

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Seems like you should be able to calibrate any set to within the range you like... But the ones on display are probably grossly mis-calibrated. If you like the Samsung so much, get that one and then use the test patterns on Avia Home Theatre or something to get it right.

Wish I could help, but we don't have a nice TV. 27" Zenith. :p

Currently we have a 1972 RCA:Q

Cool, your new HD set will be a step up. :)

Hopefully;)

Basically, are there any reasons why the Sammy is the BEST out of these three and reasons why the Hitachi and Panny are worse?

The response time was something mentioned...anything else..besides blacks;)

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Damn..I hate AVS forum....

Overall it looks like a lot of people jsut don't have the Hitachi ultravisions but those who do have nothign but praises with exception.

The DLP crowd keeps on mentioning sd to HD conversion lag which is worrying me:(

SuperToilet

Banned
May 17, 2005

Overall it looks like a lot of people jsut don't have the Hitachi ultravisions but those who do have nothign but praises with exception.

The DLP crowd keeps on mentioning sd to HD conversion lag which is worrying me:(

Hmm, I don't have that certain Hitachi model, but I can vouch for mine (53FDX20B) its full screen and lacks DVI, but playing Halo 2 on that thing is fun as hell (using component inputs) and looks great too. Don't know what help they'd be of, but I can provide pics of the TV, with some HD content playing on it of course

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: SuperToilet

Hmm, I don't have that certain Hitachi model, but I can vouch for mine (53FDX20B) its full screen and lacks DVI, but playing Halo 2 on that thing is fun as hell (using component inputs) and looks great too. Don't know what help they'd be of, but I can provide pics of the TV

pics are mandatory anways...;)

Basically the Hitachi was the best in terms of overall visibility in the harsh enviroment of the store even when we fiddled with the controls. If only it doesn't suck too bad with black levels:(

I would hate to enjoy it when it is bright outside, only to kick myself at night because of horrid black levels

SuperToilet

Banned
May 17, 2005

Hmm, I don't have that certain Hitachi model, but I can vouch for mine (53FDX20B) its full screen and lacks DVI, but playing Halo 2 on that thing is fun as hell (using component inputs) and looks great too. Don't know what help they'd be of, but I can provide pics of the TV

Basically the Hitachi was the best in terms of overall visibility in the harsh enviroment of the store even when we fiddled with the controls. If only it doesn't suck too bad with black levels:(

I would hate to enjoy it when it is bright outside, only to kick myself at night because of horrid black levels

check your email, you want teh pics or not? I'll try and take pics of PGR2, Halo 2, some Discovery HD, and maybe my Star Wars DVD on it

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001

check your email, you want teh pics or not? I'll try and take pics of PGR2, Halo 2, some Discovery HD, and maybe my Star Wars DVD on it

jsut psot them on pics.bzzdd.com

SuperToilet

Banned
May 17, 2005

bah, let me go take them first :D

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001

hurry the hell back damnit:p

And don't bother posting some smartzlec response either..that will take up valuable picture taking/posting time:D

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: cliftonite
wait for 1080p :)

I am waiting for 1080p. This is for my parents. I am helping them out with the costs and they wouldn't care about 1080p or notice the difference anyways

SuperToilet

Banned
May 17, 2005

And don't bother posting some smartzlec response either..that will take up valuable picture taking/posting time:D

listen, check your email, not in the mood to sign up for bbzzdd right now

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001

listen, check your email, not in the mood to sign up for bbzzdd right now

I am waiting