hdtv antenna and house wiring questions.

Davegod75

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
So I just moved into a new townhome that came prewired with ethernet and coax, including a central distribution thingy made by onQ. The panel in my downstairs closet includes powered coax and ethernet.

When I first saw the powered coax i was excited because the house was obviously pre-wired for satellite and I could use those lines to put an HDTV antenna in the attic. (no cable for me)

However, much to my surprise, only ethernet is present in the attic (along with an outlet).

Can someone tell my why they would do this and how I could turn this to my benefit, with the end goal of having my hdtv in the attic with no extra messy wiring pulls/runs?

Thanks

Pictures of the distribution box: http://img844.imageshack.us/g/img0005fp.jpg/

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Are you sure it just isn't prewired for cable? If you are renting you might not have the right to alter that anyways.

Davegod75

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
not renting. and all the wire is cat5 so it can be use for telephone or ethernet I assume

either way the cat5 cable in the attic has me confused.

kornphlake

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2003
Where do the coax cables go once they leave the patch panel? They may be run through walls along with power cables instead of going through the attic, assuming the wires were installed when the home was built installing the coax wires in the walls would be the easiest way to go. I'm not sure why the cat5 cable would go through the attic unless the contractor was concerned with the Ethernet being too close to the power wires. I suspect the contractor pulled the Ethernet wires after the majority of the construction was done and it was easier to go through the attic than to try and fish wires through the walls.