HDMI To Dataport?

RedTail

Jun 14, 2008
Hello Friends,
I have a 4K monitor and unfortunately my Amazon Firestick and Video card have hdmi. With all the money I have spent on both, the last thing I want is a HDMI to Dataport converter to limit pixel rate or clarity? Can someone suggest a really nice HDMI to Dataport converter?
Thanks,
Red

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
The best HDMI-to-DisplayPort adapter you're going to get is this StarTech one: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-HDMI-DisplayPort-Converter-Adapter/dp/B0144NS4Z6

And that is only 4K@30Hz. There isn't an adapter that supports 4K@60Hz at this time. Converting HDMI to DisplayPort is a really niche market since HDMI wasn't meant to do that.

In the meantime, I'm surprised you somehow have a monitor with only DisplayPorts, and a video card with only HDMI ports. Could you please list the specific model video card and monitor you have? Maybe we can find a smarter way for you to hook all of this up.

Reactions: mjdupuis

RedTail

Jun 14, 2008
Hello and thank you so much for your reply. The two items that I am actually connecting is a Amazon 4k firestick and a Nintendo Switch. Both of course are HDMI. The monitor I have is : Dell Ultra HD 4k Monitor P2715Q 27-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor
I dont undertstand why this monitor only has one HDMI port while several of the new devices are HDMI and not dataport. Perhaps Dataport is the way to go however new devices are simply not using those connectors? Any adivice on the best way to connect these two devices would be great. Will the converter hurt the quality? Im also wandering what monitor settings would be best. Of course, they will be on two different inputs.
Thanks!

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Cant you use a hdmi switch or something?
That's going to be my suggestion as well.

A switch means that multiple HDMI devices can share that single HDMI monitor input. This is a much cheaper and much neater solution than trying to convert inputs.

I haven't personally used it, but this switch or a similar product (a ton of small companies tend to resell the same model) should do the trick. In fact that switch is probably overkill, but best to grab something that's not immediately out of date with respect to format support.

I dont undertstand why this monitor only has one HDMI port while several of the new devices are HDMI and not dataport.
The short answer is two-fold.

1) It's a professional monitor, Dell isn't really expecting you to have a bunch of non-PC items hooked up to it.
2) At the time that monitor was released, the only version of HDMI available (1.4) couldn't do 4K@60Hz like DisplayPort could. So there was an expectation that if you're buying a 4K monitor, you'll want to use it with devices that can make full use of the monitor's then brand-new capabilities.

None the less, multiple HDMI ports are a lot more common these days because of your scenario, and the fact that HDMI 2.0 was released to catch up with DisplayPort.

Will the converter hurt the quality? Im also wandering what monitor settings would be best. Of course, they will be on two different inputs.
The HDMI switch listed above won't hurt the quality. As for monitor settings, I'm not familiar enough with that monitor to say for sure. But honestly I don't expect that it would require any fancy configuring.

Reactions: Flapdrol1337

RedTail

Jun 14, 2008
Thanks everyone for your great input! I am going to go with the hdmi switch. It is so awesome to be able to post and get such great feedback!
Red