HDMI, Optimus, and 2560x1440

napoleon_apart

Aug 30, 2012
I recently purchased both an ASUS Zenbook UX32VD-DB71 and a Nixeus Vue 27" 2560x1440 monitor. They're both really great! However, the Zenbook's only digital output is HDMI. I've only heard conflicting information on whether it is possible to drive 2560x1440 @ whatever via HDMI. An additional complication is that the UX32VD has both an Intel HD4000 and an NVIDIA GT 620M in an Optimus configuration. The Vue supports HDMI 1.4 and I am using a high-speed HDMI cable.

I've already done a bit of research: From what I understand, the Intel HD4000 supports only 1920x1200 over HDMI. However, according to NVIDIA's website the "Maximum Digital Resolution" for the 620m is 2560x1600. I have no idea how the HDMI port is electrically hooked up and which video card is driving it when.

What I've tried so far:

1) Just plugging it in. The maximum resolution shown to me in Windows is 1920x1080.

2) Setting a custom resolution in the Intel software. This results in a screen flicker (as if it were changing resolutions), but the resolution of the external monitor doesn't change.

Is there a way to know which video card has "control" of the HDMI port? Is there a way to force the 620m to have control?

I've heard you can force custom resolutions, but the Intel software seems limited and the NVIDIA driver is downright sparse.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
It is not possible to drive any contemporary PC monitor at 2560x1440 with HDMI. For that you would need DisplayPort or DL-DVI. Sorry.:(

napoleon_apart

Aug 30, 2012
From the Vue preview:

Nixeus indicated that all the inputs except for VGA would support the maximum resolution of 2560x1440. This means that your Kepler or GCN GPU should be able to drive full resolution to the unit over HDMI itself.

Also, this guy claims to be able to drive 2560x1270 @ 50hz over HDMI with an HD 3000. So, conflicting information.

Peter Nixeus

Aug 27, 2012
www.nixeus.com
The Nixeus Vue will automatically detect and display the maximum resolution that your hardware will out put to its video connection ports.

We have tested the Nixeus Vue 27" with a descrete Nvidia GTX 670 and it does receive 2560x1440 with 60Hz signals with HDMI 1.4 connections (But may have screen flicker in some games that indicates resolution changing so you may have to lower refresh rates for 2560x1440p output over HDMI).

However, according to the specifications at ASUS:

http://usa.asus.com/Notebooks/Superior_Mobility/ASUS_ZENBOOK_UX32VD/#specifications

Their notes indicate your Asus Zenbook's HDMI 1.4 output is only 1080p for the HDMI port.

Update 9-10-2012:

I performed my own testings over the weekend and I can confirm Virge's statement. Although the Nixeus Vue 27" may detect and display the 2560x1440 resolution with HDMI connection, operating at 2560x1440 @ 60Hz may cause instability, sync, and image issues. For HDMI 1.4 inputs 2560x1440 @ 40Hz or lower refresh rates seems to be the resolution that can be displayed with more stability. For the full 2560x1440 resolution we recommend using Dual Link DVI-D or Displayport 1.2 inputs.

Last edited:

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
The Nixeus Vue will automatically detect and display the maximum resolution that your hardware will out put to its video connection ports.

We have tested the Nixeus Vue 27" with a descrete Nvidia GTX 670 and it does receive 2560x1440 with 60Hz signals with HDMI 1.4 connections (But may have screen flicker in some games that indicates resolution changing so you may have to lower refresh rates for 2560x1440p output over HDMI).

However, according to the specifications at ASUS:

http://usa.asus.com/Notebooks/Superior_Mobility/ASUS_ZENBOOK_UX32VD/#specifications

Their notes indicate your Asus Zenbook's HDMI 1.4 output is only 1080p for the HDMI port.
The issue is that anything over 1920x1200 is not within spec for the receiving (monitor) end. No current PC monitor implements a FastHDMI controller (note: this is not the same as HDMI 1.4), forcing the connection to fall back to HDMI 1.2 bandwidth, which is functionally no different than a SL-DVI port.

Anyone that claims to have this working is basically overclocking their monitor; not only is it not guaranteed, it may not be entirely safe for long-term use.

Last edited:

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010
You'll need a laptop with a displayport or mini-display port... I tried the Nixeus Vue with HDMI to my laptop and max resolution I got was 1920x1200 with a high speed hdmi cable... The only laptop I know that have mini displayports are Apple Macs...

Last edited:

napoleon_apart

Aug 30, 2012

Thanks for your reply. Did you need to set a custom resolution to drive 2560x1440 with the GTX 670? Also, does driving the Vue at 2560x1440 over HDMI void the warranty, in light of ViRGE's claims that it is not "to spec"?

Also, if you intend to drive a >1920x1200 monitor from your laptop, you will save yourself frustration if you buy a laptop with [mini]displayport. Asus, please take note.

Last edited:

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010
Thanks for your reply. Did you need to set a custom resolution to drive 2560x1440 with the GTX 670? Also, does driving the Vue at 2560x1440 over HDMI void the warranty, in light of ViRGE's claims that it is not "to spec"?

I think ViRGE ment is if you overclock or modify it... after trying out my laptop last night I connected my Nixeus Vue to the GTX 670 with HDMI and it automatically showed full resolution! I didn't have to change any settings on my video card.:awe:

I recommend using Displayport 1.2 whenever possible, from what I researched it is the best connection at the moment - and that is how I'm feeding my monitor.:thumbsup:

napoleon_apart

Aug 30, 2012
The HDMI port successfully outputs a custom resolution of 2560x1440x32 @30 Hz (single link speeds) when converted HDMI->DVI.

The Windows display properties doesn't show the custom resolution you set in the Intel software until you *reboot*. Then you may select it.

However, if you try to set a custom resolution of 2560x1440x32 @ 60 Hz, the Intel software tells you "The custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity".

Once I had my low refresh custom resolution set, I tried it over HDMI. This resulted in the Vue freezing up. I had to unplug/replug the power cord. After confirming that I hadn't bricked it, I tried an HDMI->DVI adapter and the DVI input on the Vue. Interestingly enough, the Vue presents different (non-native) resolutions when connected via HDMI (1920x1080) and when connected via HDMI->DVI (1680x1050). Anywho, this time applying the custom resolution worked.

So to recap if you have an ultrabook that only has HDMI output, try direct HDMI first, if that doesn't work get an HDMI->DVI and accept your lowered refresh rate. Or find a way to bypass the Intel software limitation and overclock the link.

Another alternative is to get a USB 3.0 DisplayLink port replicator that has a DisplayPort port, but then you've got software and compression in the way and who knows how well it actually works.

Peter Nixeus

Aug 27, 2012
www.nixeus.com

Also, if you intend to drive a >1920x1200 monitor from your laptop, you will save yourself frustration if you buy a laptop with [mini]displayport. Asus, please take note.

No it will not void the warranty. The only time you will void the warranty in reference to refresh rates is if you try to overclock the refresh rate to 100Hz and it damages the monitor.

Update 9-10-2012:

I performed my own testings over the weekend and I can confirm Virge's statement. Although the Nixeus Vue 27" may detect and display the 2560x1440 resolution with HDMI connection, operating at 2560x1440 @ 60Hz may cause instability, sync, and image issues. For HDMI 1.4 inputs 2560x1440 @ 40Hz or lower refresh rates seems to be the resolution that can be displayed with more stability. For the full 2560x1440 resolution we recommend using Dual Link DVI-D or Displayport 1.2 inputs.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Well, going from my own experience I cant drive my 2560x1440 monitor from the HDMI port on my Thinkpad. I have to use either displayport or a displayport to DL-DVI adaptor. One other thing I have noticed, some software (mostly older) does not support HDCP over displayport. That might or might not be important to you...

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
I am blown away that so many ultrabook manufacturers are using HDMI output for their devices, when displayport (and mini displayport) are royalty free and can support greater than 1200p resolutions with no issue. HDMI cannot, obviously.

I know the samsung series 9 ultrabooks have this very same issue and it's disgusting, that's a deal breaker for me. Its a great product on the road but at home, I want to hook it up to a 1600p display and apparently very few ultrabooks can do this. I cannot understand why manufacturers are opting for HDMI, it doesn't make sense.

Does anyone have any idea why ultrabook makers are opting for HDMI? mDP would make so much more sense. It's a royalty free VESA standard with nearly the same port size requirements.

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010
I am blown away that so many ultrabook manufacturers are using HDMI output for their devices, when displayport (and mini displayport) are royalty free and can support greater than 1200p resolutions with no issue. HDMI cannot, obviously.

I know the samsung series 9 ultrabooks have this very same issue and it's disgusting, that's a deal breaker for me. Its a great product on the road but at home, I want to hook it up to a 1600p display and apparently very few ultrabooks can do this. I cannot understand why manufacturers are opting for HDMI, it doesn't make sense.

Does anyone have any idea why ultrabook makers are opting for HDMI? mDP would make so much more sense. It's a royalty free VESA standard with nearly the same port size requirements.

The HDMI Founders are Hitachi, Matsushita Electric Industrial (Panasonic/National/Quasar), Philips, Silicon Image, Sony, Thomson (RCA) and Toshiba

The MHL Founders are Silicon Image, Nokia, Samsung, Silicon Image, Sony and Toshiba had been working on a specification since the Working Group announcement in September, 2009

So of course they are going to promote and integrate each others IP and make money off licensing/royalties from third party manufacturing and HDMI/MHL cable manufacturers for their MHL and HDMI connections...D: :mad:

kevinsbane

Jun 16, 2010

There's about 10 times the number of HDMI monitors versus displayport monitors.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
There's about 10 times the number of HDMI monitors versus displayport monitors.

Then it is unfortunate that HDMI can't do 2560x1440 or 2560x1600. Every IPS and PLS panel on the market that i'm aware of includes displayport, and that is what matters to me. If I wanted to use a big screen TV, then HDMI would be a choice. PC monitor? HDMI for a PC monitor is an joke IMO, no thanks. Also keep in mind that there are a plethora of adapters for displayport > DVI and displayport > VGA and such. mini displayport should be the obvious choice for an ultrabook external output, as it is royalty free and doesn't suffer any of the handicaps that HDMI suffers from.

Last edited: