HDMI handshake problem?

LoveMachine

May 8, 2012
Greetings, I have a general use/HTPC computer with the components in my sig (take note that the video card is the HIS iSilence 7750). Everything works dandy (1080p movies/DTS sound, games, general computing) using WMC, XBMC, iTunes, except for one niggly stoopid problem. In Windows Media Center, movies play fine, but Recorded TV shows from OTA TV tuner do not play correctly (Live TV works no problem). Select the program, and video plays for a few seconds without audio, then an error message comes up saying "Video Error: Cannot play video because drivers are missing. Restart Media Center or your computer". With a restart, same problem. When using Windows Media PLAYER, the files play just fine. The problem only happens when watching the show when my Onkyo 708 receiver is on (which then feeds my Panasonic TV). All this is connected via HDMI. With the receiver off, just using my LCD Samsung monitor connected via DVI, WMC plays the file fine. As an experiment, while in WMC, I unplugged the HDMI cable going to the receiver and plugged it back in. The files then play just fine, and continue to do so unless WMC is closed and restarted.

Currently running 12.8 CCC, downgrading to 12.6 and running driver sweeper doesn't change anything. The receiver and TV are running the latest firmware available.

Since everything works perfectly when resetting the HDMI connection, I'm convinced this is an HDMI handshake issue. Also, since all other media play in all other players, I wouldn't think it's any other sort of hardware issue. After scouring the Egg's product reviews of the 77X0 series and finding nothing similar, it's unlikely a general driver problem.

Anyone have any thoughts on my line of reasoning? Any suggestions on possible fixes (other than constantly unplug/plugging the HDMI cable)?

MediaInfo dump of a sample file in question:

General
Complete name : F:\Recorded TV\Nature_KOPBDT_2012_08_29_20_59_00.wtv
Format : MPEG Video
Format version : Version 2
File size : 5.40 GiB
Duration : 1h 0mn
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 12.7 Mbps

Video
Format : MPEG Video
Format version : Version 2
Format profile : Main@High
Format settings, BVOP : Yes
Format settings, Matrix : Custom
Duration : 1h 0mn
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 12.7 Mbps
Maximum bit rate : 65.0 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Interlaced
Scan order : Top Field First
Compression mode : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.204
Stream size : 5.40 GiB (100%)

Text #1
ID : CC1
Format : EIA-608
Muxing mode : A/53 / DTVCC Transport
Bit rate mode : Constant
Stream size : 0.00 Byte (0%)

Text #2
ID : 1
Format : EIA-708
Muxing mode : A/53 / DTVCC Transport
Bit rate mode : Constant
Stream size : 0.00 Byte (0%) __________________

Sep 12, 2004
This is a common problem in WMC, particularly with AMD video cards. To resolve it disable Navigation sounds in the WMC settings.

LoveMachine

May 8, 2012
ChickenMan, I'm at work all day today, but when I get home I'll give it a shot. If this simple thing works, I'll give you a wet sloppy kiss.

Thanks!

joutlaw

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2008
This is a common problem in WMC, particularly with AMD video cards. To resolve it disable Navigation sounds in the WMC settings.

This resolved most of my problems in WMC with that error.

Also if you have a Harmony remote, note the way the devices are powered up. i.e. PC out of sleep, Receiver, then TV. I had to play around with the combination that works best for my setup.

I have a HTPC with a Ceton PCI-E CableCard tuner. It has an i3-2100 with integrated graphics. I use HDMI from HTPC to Onkyo 608 then it outputs my Vizio SV47XVT LCD.

Sometimes the handshake has hangups when the PC is on already from recording or extender use, then I power on the TV and receiver. It will be in a weird 4x3 resolution. I can usually hit the Windows key on my Lenovo remote and then select WMC to fix the problem.

Tegeril

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2003
Issues like these are making me strongly consider a GTX 650 over the 7750 for my next HTPC I'm building...

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
I used to get this error using an Nvidia 7300GS. I would have to close WMC and reopen it, and it would play the video. Sometimes I had to do it a couple of times. Sometimes on recordings it would say that, until I fast forward and then it might place. Or again, restart WMC. I haven't really seen it on my Celeron 560.

Sep 12, 2004
This resolved most of my problems in WMC with that error.

Also if you have a Harmony remote, note the way the devices are powered up. i.e. PC out of sleep, Receiver, then TV. I had to play around with the combination that works best for my setup.

I have a HTPC with a Ceton PCI-E CableCard tuner. It has an i3-2100 with integrated graphics. I use HDMI from HTPC to Onkyo 608 then it outputs my Vizio SV47XVT LCD.

Sometimes the handshake has hangups when the PC is on already from recording or extender use, then I power on the TV and receiver. It will be in a weird 4x3 resolution. I can usually hit the Windows key on my Lenovo remote and then select WMC to fix the problem.
Install the MCE Standby Tool and have it shutdown WMC during sleep and restart it on power up. That resolved that particular issue on my system.

I used to get this error using an Nvidia 7300GS. I would have to close WMC and reopen it, and it would play the video. Sometimes I had to do it a couple of times. Sometimes on recordings it would say that, until I fast forward and then it might place. Or again, restart WMC. I haven't really seen it on my Celeron 560.
Didn't mean to imply that it only happens with AMD cards. It happens with NVIDIA too. I'm using the iGPU on a G530 and it doesn't seem to be a problem with Intel.

LoveMachine

May 8, 2012

A big wet kiss for you, Chicken. That worked dandily. Hard to believe such tiny things as the "bwoop" sound can cause such annoying conflicts.

Now, 7 bonus points if anyone can tell me why the iGPU of my CPU (HD4000/3570K) won't play video in XBMC (plays one frame about every 30 seconds, holds that frame the entire time while audio and subtitles continue normally) but all other players are fine. I wouldn't have needed the 7750 if this worked as intended. I prefer XBMC over players because of bluray rip subtitle ease and full DTS-HD support, and I can use my Harmony to control it all. But no matter what render/video options I tried, no luck. Since the 7750 is now working in all the players I use, I'm not too concerned, but if anyone has any suggestions, they would be appreciated.

Thanks again.