HDMI 2.1Announced

imported_bman

Jul 29, 2007
HDMI2.1 specs, early Q2 2017 release.
  • Higher Video Resolutions support a range of higher resolutions and faster refresh rates including 8K60Hz and 4K120Hz for immersive viewing and smooth fast-action detail.
  • Dynamic HDR ensures every moment of a video is displayed at its ideal values for depth, detail, brightness, contrast, and wider color gamuts-on a scene-by-scene or even a frame-by-frame basis.
  • 48G cables enable up to 48Gbps bandwidth for uncompressed HDMI 2.1 feature support including 8K video with HDR. The cable is backwards compatible with earlier versions of the HDMI Specification and can be used with existing HDMI devices.
  • eARC supports the most advanced audio formats such as object-based audio, and enables advanced audio signal control capabilities including device auto-detect.
  • Game Mode VRR features variable refresh rate, which enables a 3D graphics processor to display the image at the moment it is rendered for more fluid and better detailed gameplay, and for reducing or eliminating lag, stutter, and frame tearing.
BandwidthComparison.jpg

GameModeVRR.jpg

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
Game Mode VRR features variable refresh rate, which enables a 3D graphics processor to display the image at the moment it is rendered for more fluid and better detailed gameplay, and for reducing or eliminating lag, stutter, and frame tearing.

Nice looks like they used the extension that AMD has been using for freesync over HDMI and made it standard like Adaptive-Sync for DP.

Honestly I'd rather just have DP take over since it is usually faster to be updated / supported by both monitors and GPUs plus royalty free, but its great to see HDMI keeping up since its the input of choice for TVs and some monitors.

Reactions: Headfoot

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
48G cables enable up to 48Gbps bandwidth for uncompressed HDMI 2.1 feature support including 8K video with HDR. The cable is backwards compatible with earlier versions of the HDMI Specification and can be used with existing HDMI devices.

48Gbps on a copper HDMI cable is seriously impressive. Though I wonder how much such a cable will cost, and how long it can be. Or if it'll require optical fibre for any distance longer then a couple of meters.

imported_bman

Jul 29, 2007
48Gbps on a copper HDMI cable is seriously impressive. Though I wonder how much such a cable will cost, and how long it can be. Or if it'll require optical fibre for any distance longer then a couple of meters.

I am pretty curious about this as well, they did have this on their FAQ.

Q: Is this cable required for delivering HDMI 2.1 Specification features?

A: The cable is the best way to ensure the high-bandwidth dependent features are delivered including the enhanced video and audio performance, and accounting for the new EMI characteristics

I also found this:

“There will be a requirement for active cables after a certain length. I do not expect to see significant growth in the footprint of the cable. Connectors will be the same.”
— Chris Pasqualino, HDMI Forum CEO

Any EEs here that can shed light if there has been any recent advancements in cable shielding?

I also wonder if we will be waiting a while for the spec to show up in products due to the beefy TCONs that will be required.

Last edited:

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
8k/60 means my glory 8k ultrawide 120hz trophy panel is coming, quite as expected and right on time. If the bandwidth doesn't catch up to 8k/120 in a few years, it will support 8k/60, 4k/100 or 3440x1440/144 for certain and interpolation and scaling will be clear with such a pixel density.

showb1z

Dec 30, 2010
Big step closer to variable refresh rates on all monitors and TV's. Excellent.

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
if the VRR is compulsory, this will screw the g-sync out of nvidia, as you'll just need to use the hdmi port to drive the monitor instead.