HDD defragmenter software

johnno

Jan 20, 2007
Hi,

I have Windows on a SSD and all my games on a HDD. Would anyone expect to see any kind of performance improvement by using something like PerfectDisk to defrag the HHD over the Win 7 built in one?

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
I don't think you would perceive any real performance plus. I have a SSD and a HDD in my laptop as well as PerfectDisk 13, build 821. I use PD on the HDD and on an external HDD (archived backup) and don't detect any significant performance gain. I do it to keep my HDD neat and optimized.

My sense is that most performance gains are only detected by benchmarks, which themselves are not great for SSDs.

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
I'm the same. But trying to break the OCD. :)

Heh, that's the real issue I guess. :D

The included feature in W7 should be decent enough to start tidying up by itself, if for example say you have a full 4tb drive with all kinds of files horribly fragmented and then you suddenly make 30% free space on it? Or do you have to ask it do it or wait a month?

Fred B

Sep 4, 2013
It is amazing, there is a person over at NBR that constantly touts defrag of SSD's (maybe he owns a piece of the company??) http://forum.notebookreview.com/sol...ce-does-not-equal-op-space-3.html#post9746698

Have done some tests and there is negative impact when reading large fragmented files from ssd . But i see no need to recommend another defragprog than the windows defrag. With defrag of programs it is taking place on atomic level and with the linear behavior of programming there is a need to read from A to Z it can not do parallel computing yet :)

The real life punish with ssd is not realy there depending on the matter of fragmentation afcourse , it is ms difference in time and cpu load balance . When a big file is fragmented you could copy the file to hd , and copy back so that it is not fragmented . It get fragmented when writing with high disk iq operations , so when idling it can write continuous to empty space .
My system os ssd XM25-V40 is a few years ago installed , when running defrag from time to time it is faster than some years ago due to cpu and motheboard upgrade. The wear out indicator stands on 99 , so i think the will outlive me even when running defrag :)