[HD7850] Severe FPS drops

Kastor Krieg

Jun 10, 2012
This is happening to me in Battlefield 3, haven't managed to test a lot in other games yet. I sustain a 55-60 FPS, but every 10-15 seconds the frames grind to a halt (1-4 FPS!) and let go after a split second. After they "let go", it's 20-40 FPS for a second or two and then back again, full speed.

What the heck is happening?! o_O

Kastor Krieg

Jun 10, 2012
It does not happen in Unigine Heaven, that's for sure. I did the "installation repair" thing on Origin, to verify file consistency, did not help.

Feb 4, 2009
Something with your internet connection? Do you have Comcast and maybe a second machine is eating up bandwidth with that cruddy turbo boost crap Comcast offers?

Kastor Krieg

Jun 10, 2012
Something with your internet connection? Do you have Comcast and maybe a second machine is eating up bandwidth with that cruddy turbo boost crap Comcast offers?
10 Mbit aDSL here, got all the bandwidth for myself, ping to server at 30-40 ms, no lagspikes. Not the issue.

Try a different set of drivers. Since you have an AMD card, I'd suggest the latest Beta that was released today. This branch(8.981.2) has been said to work great with BF3, and my own experience has been consistent with that.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/AMD-Catalyst-12.7-Official-BETA-W7-download-2937.html

Will check. Happened to me on on 12.6 Betas, switched to 12.4 official, which I did not use before (new card), did not help. Will look at these, thanks.

BF3 is having a punkbuster issue so don't worry all is well.
Unless it started having it yesterday, not the issue.

Miklebud

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2002
Apparently you were at least half-right, it's something server-side related. DICE is already working on it, occurs for everyone in the world. :(

I had just purchased and installed Close Quarters, andI was panicing last night because it was affecting me too! I'm relieved to know that it's not my shiny new PC causing the problems!