HD5450 doesn't work on my HTPC!!

Zachboy

Jun 19, 2012
Hi,

I don't want to sound like a noob but...as the title says...the card doesn't work......I tried with my other systems and it worked for them...but doesn't for this for some reason....and no the motherboard's PCIE port isn't dead because it works for my other cards.....

Oh and the card I got is from here: http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4170#ov. I sort of replaced it with the Asus branded one I got earlier as I thought that card was dead....so I returned it...I then after testing the Gigabyte one..I just realised I forgot to "thoroughly" test the Asus branded one as I did to this Gigabyte one.

Thanks in advance if you reply.

Zachboy

Jun 19, 2012
List your computer specs.

5450 won't work with some nvidia chipsets.
Oh yes, here they are...a bit old ... this computer is, I know...but runs fine

CPU - Intel Pentium 4 HT @ 3.2GHz
GPU - [onboard right now..but the card is currently in the PCIE slot]
RAM - 2GB DDR400 SDRAM
MB - Intel D915GAGL

..is that enough for you...?

..there are no "nVidia chipsets here...so I woudn't see why the card no work with this build...unless unless it's not compatible somehow with the motherboard....:confused:

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
Ok, so from your original post, you've tried two 5450s both of which failed to work. You also say the 5450s worked in another computer (specs?). Finally, you say you have another card that does work with this system.

Conclusion: an incompatibility between the 5450 and this system. Probably the ancient PCIe spec.

By the way, when you say it doesn't work, you should be more specific. Like it didn't boot, it runs but the graphics are not correct, etc.

Zachboy

Jun 19, 2012
Ok, so from your original post, you've tried two 5450s both of which failed to work. You also say the 5450s worked in another computer (specs?). Finally, you say you have another card that does work with this system.
Yes, the Asus and now the Gigabyte branded HD 5450. Yes, that card worked on my other computer that had a spare PCIE slot and if this helps, that computer's MB was also a PCIE 1.0 too. Yes - the Sapphire ATI Radeon x300SE. I think I also tried the Asus EN8400GS and that worked as well.

Conclusion: an incompatibility between the 5450 and this system. Probably the ancient PCIe spec.
Your kidding me? It said PCIE 2.0 is "backward" compatible with PCIE 1.0! ...though on the box...it only said it was compatible with PCIE 3.0....doesn't say anything about PCIE 1.0....this is Gen 2 PCIE card, right?

By the way, when you say it doesn't work, you should be more specific. Like it didn't boot, it runs but the graphics are not correct, etc.
Okay...um, just the screen doesn't turn on...as if it's on standby mode and the computer acted as if I was holding the "reset" button(which I obviously wasn't just to turn on the computer...)....so the my rear and CPU fans are at 100% speed, I think. Usually what happens when my computer works is that they both speed up at 100% and then a second later it slows down to whatever speed it's suppose to slow down and then my monitor flicks on showing the BIOS and boot screen and then into where Windows boots up - but this one doesn't seem to get pass the first step....

Last edited:

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
It definitely seems you've covered all your bases. While PCIe 2.0 is supposed to be backwards compatible, your computer's failure to POST is an indication that there probably is an incompatibility with the card, and I doubt there's a workaround. The card is around seven years newer than your motherboard (5450 was release in early 2010, and you have a very early PCIe 1.0 motherboard, introduced in 2003/2004 perhaps) - at a certain point, compatibility just breaks down when you're looking at such different vintages.

Last edited:

borisvodofsky

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2010
Make sure bios is set to initiate the PCIE video card.

Plug your monitor into the onboard graphics if it has one to make sure. Or use the old graphics card to make sure.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Make sure bios is set to initiate the PCIE video card.

Plug your monitor into the onboard graphics if it has one to make sure. Or use the old graphics card to make sure.

I guess you missed the parts where the OP stated he has other cards that work in the PCIe slot, so I don't think he's missing the BIOS setting for initializing the darned thing.

We get it....you know some stuff. Now quit trying so hard to show off in so many threads before actually reading and comprehending what was already said and done.

96redformula

Dec 27, 2005
I have seen this happen before. Some of the older motherboards require a bios update to read the newer PCI-E Spec Cards. Check for a bios update, if not then you will be unable to use it.

Zachboy

Jun 19, 2012
It definitely seems you've covered all your bases. While PCIe 2.0 is supposed to be backwards compatible, your computer's failure to POST is an indication that there probably is an incompatibility with the card, and I doubt there's a workaround. The card is around seven years newer than your motherboard (5450 was release in early 2010, and you have a very early PCIe 1.0 motherboard, introduced in 2003/2004 perhaps) - at a certain point, compatibility just breaks down when you're looking at such different vintages.
nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!
...there has to be another way to get this card working on this motherboard......:hmm:

I have seen this happen before. Some of the older motherboards require a bios update to read the newer PCI-E Spec Cards. Check for a bios update, if not then you will be unable to use it.
A good point out, but the latest BIOS update is 2006 and I remember updating the BIOS a year ago just out of interest, I guess...and I don't believe there's an update that fixes Gen 2 PCIE cards on this motherboard...:(

Zachboy

Jun 19, 2012
I guess....that's it then....(I gave up...)what am I suppose to do with my new Gigabyte branded HD 5450 now? Put it back in the box till my "next" HTPC?

...backward compatibility my ass!:p

Last edited:

fuzzymath10

Feb 17, 2010
Odds are that your next HTPC will have an IGP embedded in the CPU as good or better than the 5450; are you able to return it and use the money towards a new MB/CPU/etc? You have a P4 so sometime soon might be worthwhile depending on your A/C bills :)

My oldest 775 board is relatively new (3 and 4 series) so I guess I haven't seen the same issues pop up.

Zachboy

Jun 19, 2012
Odds are that your next HTPC will have an IGP embedded in the CPU as good or better than the 5450; are you able to return it and use the money towards a new MB/CPU/etc? You have a P4 so sometime soon might be worthwhile depending on your A/C bills :)

My oldest 775 board is relatively new (3 and 4 series) so I guess I haven't seen the same issues pop up.
Hm....well..if I my next HTPC will most likely be my build with the Intel CORE 2 DUO E6750 as was in my other thread....IF I get my new gaming build sometime....otherwise it's stuck on the P4....Do you still think the HD5450 get beaten by the onboard graphics chip of my other computer - in terms of features and performance for HD DVD/Blu-ray playback quality?

Well...the card only costed $32..."should" I return it, or should I keep it for something else that might benefit from it? I only got it for a couple days....basically when this thread started...

Well, I mean the P4's great..but when it comes to playing back Blu-ray quality movies, it "stutters"....and sometimes the picture goes "distorted" or both....that's why I thought a dedicated graphics card might help "eliminating" those playback flaws....maybe I got a crap onboard graphics chip or a crap CPU....or both...the x300se for Sappire seems a litte too old to "handle" Blu-ray movie playback....I don't know about the 8400GS from Asus.....but I don't think it has the same features as the HD5450 in movie playback and performance wise too...

...and I thought I could get the HD5450 running....so I could playback smoothly with with original quality as was printed on the blu-ray discs....

Last edited:

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
I have a bit more experience with this issue. Take note of the HTPC in my sig.

I tried a 5570 when I was constructing mine and had the same issue as you, despite having the newest BIOS for the board and previous cards worked fine. At the time I had a 5770 in my main rig that I pulled momentarily to see if the card might've been dead, and it actually didn't work. So I had a 4850 lying around and tried that. Lo and behold, it POSTed and ran fine.

The common denominator? It was PCIe 2.1 cards that wouldn't work, but 2.0 worked fine. Try using an nVidia card instead; they haven't moved to the 2.1 spec yet. Don't bother with the 8400 cards they still have around, go for something in the 2xx series or higher. They're on Newegg for around the same price.

Zachboy

Jun 19, 2012
I have a bit more experience with this issue. Take note of the HTPC in my sig.

I tried a 5570 when I was constructing mine and had the same issue as you, despite having the newest BIOS for the board and previous cards worked fine. At the time I had a 5770 in my main rig that I pulled momentarily to see if the card might've been dead, and it actually didn't work. So I had a 4850 lying around and tried that. Lo and behold, it POSTed and ran fine.

The common denominator? It was PCIe 2.1 cards that wouldn't work, but 2.0 worked fine. Try using an nVidia card instead; they haven't moved to the 2.1 spec yet. Don't bother with the 8400 cards they still have around, go for something in the 2xx series or higher. They're on Newegg for around the same price.
Ahh, so it's only PCIE 2.0 and 3.0 that's backward compatible to PCIE 1.0? ..and so PCIE 2.1 "won't" work on PCIE 1.0 ports? Where does it say that?? I guess I might do some more research on PCIE generations.....or...you can tell me.....saves me the trouble of doing it myself....

You're right!! - it says "1GB DDR3/64-bit/PCIE 2.1" on the sticker at the back of the box!! I thought it was just normal PCIE 2.0.....

Lol, I actually own the Asus EN8400GS(PCIE2.0 on the front of the box)..I wasn't going to buy one...and the Sapphire Radeon x300SE(PCIE 1.0 on the front of the box) as well....they don't sell these anymore...and I doubt these will be good for a HTPC anyways....you don't recommend salvaging my 8400GS from my old "Guinea pig" and using that card in my HTPC?

Erm, if this is the case....and my bought Gigabyte HD5450 "will not" work on my HTPC....I guess I have to stick in a different card.....the only reason why I bought that was the features of HD DVD and Blu-ray playback...

Nova [HTPC]: AMD Athlon X2 3800+ @ 2GHz | s939 ECS RS480-M | 1GB A-DATA DDR-400 | PNY GT 220 1GB | Hitachi 7K1000 1TB | Linux Mint 13 x64
Hm....wow...didn't think anyone would go as old as mine......mine's still oldest with classical P4 HT!

.....I use Windows XP Media Centre 2005 Edition. Damn your dual core CPU! Mine has HT! :p I know I've been beaten in processing power.....

Last edited:

Zachboy

Jun 19, 2012
...hm... I guess no one wants to reply..okay then....I'll see if I can do a "third" return....and see if they have any of those cards listed above and if they are PCIE 2.1 or not. If they're PCIE 2.0 - I'm getting a replacement for that...if they let me....otherwise a full cash refund....or go to nVidia's side and see what they got to offer....or if they don't let me do any of those a "third" time....I guess I have to keep the card....

Last edited:

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
...hm... I guess no one wants to reply..okay then....I'll see if I can do a "third" return....and see if they have any of those cards listed above and if they are PCIE 2.1 or not. If they're PCIE 2.0 - I'm getting a replacement for that...if they let me....otherwise a full cash refund....or go to nVidia's side and see what they got to offer....or if they don't let me do any of those a "third" time....I guess I have to keep the card....

All I'll say is that you are making a mistake if you return the HD5450 for another HD5450. I can almost assure you that none of them will work with your system. You would be much better off buying a 4000-series card, like any one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...CE&PageSize=20

They are all PCIe 2.0 cards.

I repeat, buying another HD5450 is a serious mistake.

Zachboy

Jun 19, 2012
All I'll say is that you are making a mistake if you return the HD5450 for another HD5450. I can almost assure you that none of them will work with your system. You would be much better off buying a 4000-series card, like any one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...CE&PageSize=20

They are all PCIe 2.0 cards.

I repeat, buying another HD5450 is a serious mistake.
Ah, okay....fine, I will not replace for another HD5450. I'm not much of an online buyer....but if those are the only ways to get them...I guess that's the only way...

Just did some testing with my 8400GS....I think its just "cutting" it there....some parts were "stuttering and distorted" while most of the movie went on finely. At least better than using the onboard graphics chip I got, where 50 to 75% of playing any "Blu-ray" quality movie stutters and picture-motion goes weird.

You're right...maybe the 8400GS isn't a good idea to be a dedicated graphics card for HTPC....hm...maybe I try to replace my HD5450 with a GF 210? or maybe the GT520 from here: http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=7761? Maybe future proof my build? Are there good alternatives to the ATI HD Radeon 4xxx series?

Thanks.

EDIT:

I'm going to test some more movies....just to make sure....

Last edited:

Zachboy

Jun 19, 2012
o_ONuu.....just found out today my dedicated "backup" movie drive went!! nuuu

I'll make a new thread on that. I was going to test out some movies I had backed up on that HDD but that went....nuuuuuuu!:'(

...so much for backing up movies to the HDD...........

looks like it's back to discs again....and some of them I had rare movies collected over the past years and some I made!!

Seems to be a battle going on between the GT430/440 and the GT520....

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Just a thought. I know it cost a tad more. But what about a SB G630 CPU or so, 50$ miniITX board and mayeb soem DDR3 memory on top. Then the entire platform gets an overhaul. Then you can use the iGPU, most likely save alot of power/noise.

Its just an idea as an alternative.

Zachboy

Jun 19, 2012
Just a thought. I know it cost a tad more. But what about a SB G630 CPU or so, 50$ miniITX board and mayeb soem DDR3 memory on top. Then the entire platform gets an overhaul. Then you can use the iGPU, most likely save alot of power/noise.

Its just an idea as an alternative.
A nice suggestion....but that kind of idea will most likely come after me replacing this with my other build. I know this build can handle it...just doesn't have the processing power to do so....and an added dedicated graphics card to play movies will be a *big* plus.

*Should* do Blu-ray playback almost flawlessly if not, always, with the right graphics card.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
Zach,

It's the card bios that is responsible for PCI-E switching. Buy Zotac next time, they're very good with older boards.

Zachboy

Jun 19, 2012
Zach,

It's the card bios that is responsible for PCI-E switching. Buy Zotac next time, they're very good with older boards.
Hi,

Maybe it is just that; PCIE 2.1 is only backward compatible with PCIE 1.1 while PCIE 2.0 to PCIE 1.0....Not sure if PCIE 2.1 is backward compatible with PCIE 2.0 or not....I'd test these myself if I had a board that support PCIE 2.1 and or PCIE 2.0...:\

Though no where on the manual of the board does it specifically say PCIE1.1 or PCIE 1.0 - just only said "PCI Express x16"....not much detail there from Intel....

.....could be the BIOS of the graphics card.....

Hm, yeah...maybe - if I will sticking a PCIE 2.1 card in either a PCIE 1.x slot motherboard in the future.....and if retailers sell Zotac branded graphics cards as well.

Last edited: