hd4850

jon754

May 21, 2008
i'm thinking about buying one to be paired up with an oced intel e2180 but i'm a little concerned with the noise/heat issue. when are we gonna start seeing some decent coolers on these things? are there any brands that won't invalidate the warranty if you install a third party cooler? also i game at 1680x1050, how long should a 4850 last me? thanks.

firewolfsm

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2005
If you put back the original cooler, they can't know you ever changed it.

When encouraging other members to commit fraud, keep this in mind: Don't!

-ViRGE

fastman

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: firewolfsm
If you put back the original cooler, they can't know you ever changed it.

I'd say that's unwise advise as unless you know exactly what thermal compound they use it will be missing from the replacement of the original cooler, there are other factors too but I won't get into those.

Try the soft mod for the card, it works well for me and it won't void anything.

jon754

May 21, 2008
i know the fan can be cranked up to get decent temps but i don't want my computer sounding like it's got a hair dryer inside of it. is it worth it to pay extra for a crossfire motherboard when my native rez is only 1680x1050? i don't give a damn about crysis (the game sucks) but i do want to play far cry 2...

User5

Jul 24, 2004
Originally posted by: jon754
i know the fan can be cranked up to get decent temps but i don't want my computer sounding like it's got a hair dryer inside of it. is it worth it to pay extra for a crossfire motherboard when my native rez is only 1680x1050? i don't give a damn about crysis (the game sucks) but i do want to play far cry 2...

Some people like to turn the fan all the way up, I dont know why though..

The fan doesen't need to be cranked up. In fact, your temps won't get any lower if you increase the fan past 40.. all you'll do is get more noise, and the same temps you would get at silent 40.

Also, 1680x1050 is what I am playing at with my 4850. There shouldnt be a single game you can't play. I'm even playing Crysis at this resolution WITH 4X AA. Every game runs 4X aa, silky smooth.

fastman

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999

Only if you crank the fan past 55 will you get major noise, try it yourself and find out. If that still to much for you, be all means replace the stock fan with an aftermarket one, but if it goes amiss, it's on you.

Good luck!

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
ok then....what brand should i get? visiontek?

Yes, Visiontek have the best warranty. All cards from all manufacturers are reference design atm so there is no difference between them.

Ganeedi

Jul 7, 2008
What kind of GPU temps are you guys getting with the fan at 40-50%? Are you running under a heavy graphics load?

User5

Jul 24, 2004
^ im idiling at 50c right now.. haven't seen it go past 75c during crysis though. This is at the 40 setting.

Fastman, is you're computer already pretty loud with fans though? At 55 this thing sounds just WAY too loud, since my computer is less than a foot away from me on my desk.

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
Originally posted by: User5
^ im idiling at 50c right now.. haven't seen it go past 75c during crysis though. This is at the 40 setting.

Fastman, is you're computer already pretty loud with fans though? At 55 this thing sounds just WAY too loud, since my computer is less than a foot away from me on my desk.

How are you logging temps? I know that GPU-Z allows you to see your current temp, but remember that Alt-Tabbing out of a game to check temps is not accurate at all. 10 degrees C if that's what you're doing...

User5

Jul 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Modular

How are you logging temps? I know that GPU-Z allows you to see your current temp, but remember that Alt-Tabbing out of a game to check temps is not accurate at all. 10 degrees C if that's what you're doing...

If alt-tabbing out of games is not accurate, how else are you to check? Play the game in windowed mode?

I'm just checking temps from CCC. Why would this number not be accurate?

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

If alt-tabbing out of games is not accurate, how else are you to check? Play the game in windowed mode?

I'm just checking temps from CCC. Why would this number not be accurate?

Second monitor? That's how I do it.

betasub

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2006

Use a utility like RivaTuner or ATi Tray Tools (ATT) to log the data & display it as a spiffy graph for your easy viewing.

fastman

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Sylvanas
ok then....what brand should i get? visiontek?

Yes, Visiontek have the best warranty. All cards from all manufacturers are reference design atm so there is no difference between them.

+1

fastman

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999

Mine is quite to start with (low RPM case fans, 4 of them) Try 50 then it's a big difference for some reason?

jon754

May 21, 2008
what drivers should i be using with this card? i have 8.7 now and they're pretty unstable it seems. freaking 3dmark03 freezes on startup, 3dmark06 has crazy artifacting, and a lot of my games won't even start up. i am using the fan fix (45 percent) and i idle at 42C and load at 55C so it's not overheating.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
Originally posted by: Ganeedi
What kind of GPU temps are you guys getting with the fan at 40-50%? Are you running under a heavy graphics load?

I'm running f@h 24/7 on my 4850 with stock cooler, I haven't seen the fan go over 40% yet. And this is with it oc'd to 690/1075, too! sure, temps are 82c, but I'm not going to complain about 82c with 24/7 folding on one of these bad boys. I game at 14x9, too, so I should be good for a while now :)

jon754

May 21, 2008
well i switched to 8.6 hotfix drivers and my games load and the artifacting is gone but now i'm getting a problem with my screen going black and my monitor has an "out of range" message come up. wtf? i love the perfomance of this card but the drivers simply suck.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: QuadDamage2k
http://i38.tinypic.com/n33sar.jpg

DO IT< I LOVE MINE!
4850 FTW

I did that to my 1950xt, now I have an expensive paperweight.

well i switched to 8.6 hotfix drivers and my games load and the artifacting is gone but now i'm getting a problem with my screen going black and my monitor has an "out of range" message come up. wtf? i love the perfomance of this card but the drivers simply suck.

I'm having zero issues with mine. PICNIC maybe?