HD4850/4870 Aftermarket Coolers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
do you have a fan (or more that one) attached to the S1? did you stick with the preapplied TIM or did you remove it and apply your own? how's your case airflow? what about ambient room temps?

RamIt

Nov 12, 2001
Originally posted by: bunnyfubbles
do you have a fan (or more that one) attached to the S1? did you stick with the preapplied TIM or did you remove it and apply your own? how's your case airflow? what about ambient room temps?

I have a single antec 120mm fan running 1000 rpm during the test. 1 - 120mm exaust, 1 - 120mm intake. 120mm on the powersupply and default mx2 compound on the sink. I am also running 700-1150 at default voltage gpu and memory. all fans run around 1000 rpm under load and 800 idle. Ambient temps around 77* f.

I'll take it apart in a few days to see if i can get better temps and a higher gpu clocks out of it.

robcy

Jun 8, 2003
I use a ZALMAN VF900 on my HD4850. I have a small case and the PSU is directly above the card. This fits barely, and keeps the temps in the high 50's during game play, with idle in the low 30's. I have it at full speed (no controller), and can barely hear it. The case has a 120mm in the rear, and an 80mm in the front.

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
Currently using a VF1000. Using "low" fan speed i.e its virtually silent i have my HD4850 idling at ~33C. Not sure about load but ill see how high it goes.

RobertAnderson

Jul 21, 2008
So I tried Furmark with my HR-03 GT and my Noctua 92mm running at 1400RPM with the LNA adaptor in. It gets up to 63C. The CCC auto-tune had put the core at 690MHz and the memory at 1163MHz, but when I ran Furmark I would get artifacts as the temp went up. I had to bring the memory down to 1100MHz to get a perfect image again. I am guessing that the passive coolers for the memory are having a problem keeping up.

When I installed the cooler I have it on the chip side so that the fan blows through the fins and then onto the board and memory, but when the fins are at 62C I am probably just blowing hot air on them.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Originally posted by: RamIt

I have a single antec 120mm fan running 1000 rpm during the test. 1 - 120mm exaust, 1 - 120mm intake. 120mm on the powersupply and default mx2 compound on the sink. I am also running 700-1150 at default voltage gpu and memory. all fans run around 1000 rpm under load and 800 idle. Ambient temps around 77* f.

I'll take it apart in a few days to see if i can get better temps and a higher gpu clocks out of it.

Well, my ambient is closer to 70F and my setup has two intakes that direct air right over the PCI-e/PCI slots.

I did have to remove the preapplied TIM as it was smudged up because someone/thing probably pressed against the plastic packaging too hard and ended up applying some OCZ Freeze stuff (was the cheapest stuff the local store had at the time as they were out of AS5, I'd heard some great things about the OCZ stuff so I went with it) however I doubt that's much of a factor as the MX-2 TIM that comes preapplied is also very good stuff, and I know it works perfectly fine considering my experience with my 8800GT.

Another thing I've noticed is that it can actually make a pretty big difference to make sure and have good airflow over all of the heat pipes, meaning two fans will provide for the best performance. I had 1 x 1600RPM S-Flex on it before, but with two 1200RPM fans the temps are actually going down... half an hour of furmark saw temps hovering in the 43C range

40sTheme

Golden Member
Sep 24, 2006

My S1 with a 120mm fan on my 4850 has yet to breach 43C load...this is with it overclocked to 700MHz...

You obviously have never loaded your card then. Try running Furmark and report back what load temps you get.

Who cares what Furmark says? If it doesn't got higher than 43C while gaming, who gives a shit? Benchmarks don't mean anything if you're simply trying to get games to run faster.

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Sparkle (no relation to the PSU company) has some of the sweetest looking custom cooling on their cards. Shame that they don't sell in the US.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007

Well, my ambient is closer to 70F and my setup has two intakes that direct air right over the PCI-e/PCI slots.

I did have to remove the preapplied TIM as it was smudged up because someone/thing probably pressed against the plastic packaging too hard and ended up applying some OCZ Freeze stuff (was the cheapest stuff the local store had at the time as they were out of AS5, I'd heard some great things about the OCZ stuff so I went with it) however I doubt that's much of a factor as the MX-2 TIM that comes preapplied is also very good stuff, and I know it works perfectly fine considering my experience with my 8800GT.

Another thing I've noticed is that it can actually make a pretty big difference to make sure and have good airflow over all of the heat pipes, meaning two fans will provide for the best performance. I had 1 x 1600RPM S-Flex on it before, but with two 1200RPM fans the temps are actually going down... half an hour of furmark saw temps hovering in the 43C range

you guys are killing me... I think I'll try the 4850 with the stock cooler first and see how it goes. If the noise/temps get out of hand then the s1 rev 2 appears to be the way to go.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Originally posted by: 40sTheme

My S1 with a 120mm fan on my 4850 has yet to breach 43C load...this is with it overclocked to 700MHz...

You obviously have never loaded your card then. Try running Furmark and report back what load temps you get.

Who cares what Furmark says? If it doesn't got higher than 43C while gaming, who gives a shit? Benchmarks don't mean anything if you're simply trying to get games to run faster.

well it isn't that simple, if furmark can push your GPU to its maximum capabilities, and your card can run it with reasonable temps and stability (no artifacts) then it should be fine for all your games without needing to test it on each and every single one just to make sure

its basically the same concept as pushing your CPU with something like Prime95 or OCCT

furmark did generate slightly higher temps for me, but it wasn't anything like he was suggesting (a couple degrees vs. 15C increases like he was suggesting)

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
Originally posted by: chucky2
I e-mailed Artic Cooling about the Accellero TWIN TURBO or whatever the F it's called, and they said a mid-August US release.

Chuck

this should be nice. hopefully it will take the place of the s1 v2 in the pricing hierarchy and knock the s1's price down a few $$ :)

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
don't count on it, I'm pretty sure I've seen info that places the twin turbo in a more expensive bracket - while the S1 can often be found for $30, the twin turbo is poised to be priced around $40 or higher

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
With furmark, my HD4850 + VF1000 gets to ~47C at load (fan speed on low). This is full screen at 1680x1050 + 4xAA.

Krynj

Platinum Member
Jun 21, 2006
What are the best ways to log temps while gaming, or running benchmarks? I'd like to see how hot my 4870 gets during load.

dakels

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2002
I am really disappointed that aftermarket cooling options so far seem to make Xfire impossible due to the ridiculous size needed for these coolers+fans. I want to wait for the Accelero Twin Turbo but it is delayed. Frankly it looks like a fancy version of a Accelero S2 Rev 2 turbo. I went to buy the Accelero S2 Rev2 with turbo fans and noticed that it won't work in crossfire due to the massive size.

Please tell me I am wrong.

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
I think you need to thread the CrossFire bridge between the fins. I've definitely seen people doing CrossFire with two Acceleros.

racolvin

Golden Member
Jul 26, 2004
I installed the Zalman VF1000 on mine right away and so far it's been great. The card idles at ~38C (reported in the CCC). What it does at load I have no clue since I'm playing a game when it happens and don't much care :) The noise doesn't bother me since the CPU fans in my Shuttle box are louder than the Zalman ;)

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
Originally posted by: brandonb
I have a VANTEC CCB-A6C Ball VGA Cooleron the way (in shipping)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16835110015

I'll let everybody know how it works after I get it.

Just to let you know, I got my cooler tonight and installation was pretty easy, everything seemed to work just fine, and the nice thing, the heat goes out the back of the case (which is pretty darn hot when its working). The only bad thing is that this cooler comes with 8 ramsinks which isn't too much of a problem except this card has a set of extra chips at the end of the card near the power plugin which was also cooled by the stock cooler and I ran out of ramsinks. I need to buy another packet. However, some of the chips being cooled are extra small, and I'm gonna have to find a way to get ramsinks on it and they are normally too big. You might get away with putting 1 ram sink of 4 of the smaller chips. I need to buy another packet of ramsinks for these. The ramsinks also on the main GDDR3 is also pretty damn hot to the touch (almost burns you when you touch it)... So I'm thinking another fan near the PCIE slot will also be necessary to help cool off the ramsinks in addition.

Even though I lacked the ramsinks on the smaller chips. I did run some quick tests for about 3 minutes just to see what temps are, but I quit after 3 minutes so I wouldn't overheat the small chips. The board did not feel that hot on the back of the smaller chips (heat rises) so I'm not sure if its necessary but like I said the ramsinks were on the stock cooler and I'm guessing there was a reason for it. Its probably best if you get this cooler to get an extra packet of ramsinks and try to jimmyrig a way to get them in, and possibly a fan blowing on the card from the inside of the case in addition.

Anyways with what I had I was impressed with the numbers:

Before
This was with the fan controller set to 35 or 40% hard coded and the bios updates.
--------
80C load, 3 minutes.
50C idle

After
The fan controller is not used because this after market cooler does NOT work with the fan plugin on the card itself, so you have to plug it into a 4 pin molex, but it is silent even if its running at full speed.
--------
59C load, 3 minutes
40C idle

racolvin

Golden Member
Jul 26, 2004
Originally posted by: Bateluer
I would be interested in the Zalman VF1000, but Zalman doesn't list the 4870.

Far as I know it doesn't list the 4850 either - at least it didn't when I bought it :) But I can assure you it fits on the 4850 just dandy and I don't think there's a physical difference between the boards in terms of layout and hole placement.

firewolfsm

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2005
Just here to confirm that the VF700 is still a great upgrade from stock. 20+ degrees lower if the fan is on high.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: racolvin
Originally posted by: Bateluer
I would be interested in the Zalman VF1000, but Zalman doesn't list the 4870.

Far as I know it doesn't list the 4850 either - at least it didn't when I bought it :) But I can assure you it fits on the 4850 just dandy and I don't think there's a physical difference between the boards in terms of layout and hole placement.

It lists the 4850 now I believe.

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
I posted ^^^^ a few posts up.

The system won't boot this morning after I've fiddled with the CPU heatsink after mounting the new ATI mod. Before I played with the heatsink I did my tests above, then I shutdown the computer and tried to fix my CPU heat problem. Now the ATI red LED's are showing up, so I have no idea if I fried my card or not. It could be the CPU having problems causing the system to fail to post (and therefore the card fails to post and shows red LED)...

All I know is the system spins up for about 5 seconds (this is Abit P35) gets to step 87 in the bios post, and shuts off. :(

*cries* I may have fried something with all my modding. Oh well, life sucks sometimes.