HD-DVD COMBO??? Whats the use in this?

DigitalCancer

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2004
Ok, so i'm all for HD-DVD and looking into possibly getting a player (after i get my new tv, lol) but...what's the use exactly for a combo disc?? Hot Fuzz does the same thing, has the standard AND hi-def version, but for a couple bucks more. WHY?? I mean, if you're buying HD-DVD's then...obviously you have the equipment to do HD. Otherwise you would just pay the $15-20 price for the standard right?? Help me understand this reasoning...

LINKY

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
Allows you to buy the combo now, even without an HD-DVD player, assuming you're going to upgrade at some point and then you won't have to re-buy the movie.

Mar 11, 2004
Its for people who have not bought an HD-DVD player yet (waiting for them to get cheaper perhaps?), but don't want to have to buy the DVD version now and then the HD-DVD version later.

Skiddex

Golden Member
May 17, 2001
i like them so i can use them on my other dvd players around the house that arent hd and i can lend them out to friends too

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Skiddex
i like them so i can use them on my other dvd players around the house that arent hd and i can lend them out to friends too

Bingo. It makes the movie available to the current most popular format and to HD DVD as well. Since they both use relatively the same process, it doesn't increase production costs much but increases the value for the consumer tremendously.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: darkswordsman17
Its for people who have not bought an HD-DVD player yet (waiting for them to get cheaper perhaps?), but don't want to have to buy the DVD version now and then the HD-DVD version later.

Bingo was his name-o.

Also useful if you have HD-DVD but would like to lend the movie to people who don't.

DigitalCancer

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2004
hmm...I guess i could understand that, but it increases the price of a movie by a few bucks. I guess its alright since you'll then own 'technically' 2 movies, but...i dunno, just seems like a waste if you're buying next-gen technology. I would buy HD-DVD's specifically for HD. Otherwise...buy the movie on DVD for $15.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
It's a "feature" and also serves to create a future market for the product (HD-DVD) while still providing the product wants at a reasonable price (DVD)

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Goosemaster
It's a "feature" and also serves to create a future market for the product (HD-DVD) while still providing the product wants at a reasonable price (DVD)

wonder how much this has affected HD DVD sales though...dual format owners often pick the blu ray version because it is cheaper than the HD DVD version...

but now that I think about, there probably aren't too many dual format owners out there to make a difference...

back to the regular scheduled programming... :)

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: spacejamz
Originally posted by: Goosemaster

wonder how much this has affected HD DVD sales though...dual format owners often pick the blu ray version because it is cheaper than the HD DVD version...

but now that I think about, there probably aren't too many dual format owners out there to make a difference...

back to the regular scheduled programming... :)

this post is based on movies that are released in both formats...

DigitalCancer

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2004
yea, i plan to upgrade to HD in the next few months. I'm going to choose HD-DVD as my poison and hope that it comes out on top. I won't be buying any of the 'combo' dvd's though. ^_^

Maybe i'm just bias against Sony. I plan to buy a Ps3 eventually, just not anytime soon.

I'm looking into the Toshiba HD-A2/XA2 models right now. Any others i should compare? Kinda want to stay within the $300 range, which the XA2 will at least be closer to by the time i get my tv and everything.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I don't like the fact that they're dual-sided. I'm incredibly anal about my discs getting scuffed or scratched and dual-sided just makes all that worse. I remember getting House season 1 and that was dual-sided and thankfully, they've released the other two seasons as single-sided discs.

For me, it's an inconvenience.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Originally posted by: DigitalCancer
hmm...I guess i could understand that, but it increases the price of a movie by a few bucks. I guess its alright since you'll then own 'technically' 2 movies, but...i dunno, just seems like a waste if you're buying next-gen technology. I would buy HD-DVD's specifically for HD. Otherwise...buy the movie on DVD for $15.

Let's say you want to watch the movie at home, but then take it on a road trip for the kids to watch in the back seat as well. A combo disc would be nice for that.

Personally, I would just like to be able to rip the disc I paid for and transcode down to DVD resolution on a burnable disc that won't get marred by little hands in the back seat though, so to each his/her own. I'll be sticking to DVD discs for quite awhile, while the format war wages and the copy protections get cracked.

bonkers325

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Golgatha
Originally posted by: DigitalCancer

Let's say you want to watch the movie at home, but then take it on a road trip for the kids to watch in the back seat as well. A combo disc would be nice for that.

Personally, I would just like to be able to rip the disc I paid for and transcode down to DVD resolution on a burnable disc that won't get marred by little hands in the back seat though, so to each his/her own. I'll be sticking to DVD discs for quite awhile, while the format war wages and the copy protections get cracked.

i am comfortable with 1080p upconversion until the format war ends. by then, hopefully high def DVD players will be cheaper

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
so u can play at home, or in say a car entertainment system to entertain passengers annd sh*t