HD 6950 Freezing in games

Makuab

Dec 14, 2010
I recently purchased a 6950, and have noticed since my games have been freezing to the point where I have to open task manager and end it. I have the current drivers.

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
this.

That is most likely your problem. Alot of the times the cores/shaders are locked down because of a defect or can't handle high enough clockspeeds, ect... While others have had success, you can be sure there are a high number of 6950's with the shaders disabled for a negative reason.

alienate

Dec 31, 2010
Switch back to the 6950 BIOS and test it out if you haven't already. Also a flashed 6950/6970 uses significantly more power than a stock 6950, make sure your PSU is capable

prowlex

Jan 20, 2011
Theres nothing wrong with what you did. Dont switch back to your old firmware. you need to go to ati overdrive in catalyst control center and enable it. then you need to change the power to +20%. It sounds like your trying to run the hd 6970 setup with the hd 6950 power. Increasing the power is necessary to make it run correctly. More unlocked shader cores means more required power.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
Its your flash that messed things up like the others peepz said.

See if you can downclock to stock speeds and see how she runs. Also if you have to take your CPU to default stock as well.

Your PSU is fine, your card is getting warm either the GPU or the VRAM.. thx

betasub

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2006
alienate & prowlex have good advice. Test with PowerPlay at +20% to ensure this isn't the problem for your card. If the problem remains, flip the BIOS switch and re-boot to run your card with the stock 6950 BIOS (shaders/speeds/power/voltage).

CR0WSNEST

Nov 23, 2011
I had this EXACT problem on my new rig with the HIS HD6950 2Gb. Every game would lock up with looping sound every 20 mins or so and eventually after 5 mins the screen would return to the desktop (if i pressed windows key).
Good news is i think i found the solution. Rather than disabling the realtek drivers like many solutions suggest, just install the 'default' HD audio drivers (NOT the ones integrated with your motherboard drivers). Dont worry this installer removes the old ones.
http://www.realtek.com/downloads/do...=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

I had to restart twice for the uninstall/install and ever since it has been total smooth sailing. Honestly i tried about 20 different fixes for this problem and i am so happy its all over. The only other step i took that 'may' have helped was lower the quality of sound output on the realtek utility. Hope that helps.