HD 4870 X2 acting weird.

Deadly144

Dec 20, 2008
Alrite I got my Sapphire HD 4870 X2 and been using it for couple days. Im running Vista 64bit SP1 with CAT 8.12's. The performance is weird with everyprogram with high settings. For example in Far Cry 2 it stuttering almost everywhere. Its not big stuttering, but very annoying after a while. Im running the game at 1680x1050 Ultra High, 4x AA DX10. My fps is at 60 most of the time with dips to 40, but when i move around it feels like it is stuttering. In Left 4 Dead it does the same and fps is great too. Crysis runs very messed up, might be some driver setting but I doubt it.

Another program that has a big dip in fps is Vantage. I run Vantage on Performance and my overall is 14,750-14,950. In the frist game test it runs a nice 38-55fps, but then in certain parts the fps dips to 20 and has that stutter.

My buddies system is smiliar to mine with 2x 260 216 in SLI. His doesnt have those dips in performance and thats why he gets 3-4K more then I probley.

Anyone know the problem before I RMA the card?

Driver Settings
SmoothVision HD AA - 4x Edge-detect
SmoothVision HD AF - 16x
Catalyst A.I. - Advanced
MipMap Detail Level - High Quality
Vsync Always On
Adaptive AA - Quality

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
AMD has been having driver problems lately, or so I hear.

Also, stuttering is normal for multi-gpu setups like the 4870x2. It's one of the reasons why most people here don't run them.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
The ATI driver issues are more related to Crossfire implementations than single cards. The 4870 X2 is essentially a "single" card Crossfire part. When it works, it's great...when it doesn't...well you see the results. nVidia's SLI is in a better state but I'm not a fan of SLI or Crossfire. Single card solutions wise, ATI is roughly on par with nVidia as far as driver stability goes.

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
CrossFire and SLi are pretty much even - http://www.bit-tech.net/hardwa...rformance-on-core-i7/5

As for the OPs problem, FarCry 2 is known for having stuttering problems on Radeons, you need to cap the max FPS to around your average in order to get rid of it.
Running Crysis with AAx4 is a bad idea :p Sure, the HD4870x2 is powerful, but not that powerful :)

Also, try to not use the CCC settings to force AA. Use the ingame options. Set your CCC to Application Controlled

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
yah, dont force AA in CCC, also try changing catalyst AI settings...

FC2, cap the framerate. A gut feeling tells me an RMA replacement of your R700 isn't going to fix the problems you're seeing as they're most likely driver / settings related.

With a 790i ultra and Q9450 - $500 of video might be better spent on two GTX260's in SLI