HBO's original: Silicon Valley... Liking it so far! 'Nerdy entourage'

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
I think it's totally irrelevant. Like when you call a fat guy "Slim".

I suppose so...but a long time ago a couple girls said my head was too big for my body and i've had a complex ever since.

kstu

Golden Member
Feb 23, 2004
It's not a reference to the size of his head, it's a play on his last name Bighetti.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Which works fine as a character, IMO.

Definitely. It's a tricky/tough character to play. As an actor, you can't overdo it. You risk crude parody if you do. And that's quite difficult for a "normal" not to do.

Otoh, you have to let that "flat affect" weirdness shine right through. :biggrin:

-slash-

Jan 21, 2014
Seriously?

No, I'm trying to tell those who, for some unknown reason think the tech sounds even vaguely plausible, that it's little more than something written for a TV show, using terms loosely cobbled together to sound real.

The process and the environment are close enough to be believable. Well, up until we got to Dinesh losing his "personal hard drive" with all of the company's IP on it.

With all of the stupid shit they do that screws them or the company it is plausible Dinesh left his bag near the HDD's and his fell into the pile. The writers are doing a good job of screwing the company every chance they get, almost to the point of it being obnoxious.

The one thing I do like about the show is how plausible it is compared to other tech shows. It's not guys hacking into shit on roll up keyboards in seconds.

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
Definitely. It's a tricky/tough character to play. As an actor, you can't overdo it. You risk crude parody if you do. And that's quite difficult for a "normal" not to do.

Otoh, you have to let that "flat affect" weirdness shine right through. :biggrin:

Agreed. I think she does a pretty good job with it too. The biggest problem is that she's so similar to Peter Gregory, and a copy always looks worse in comparison. Unfortunately the actor's death wasn't anticipated and the writers had to choose between having a character who is unnaturally similar or shifting an important part of the show in a different direction. I think they made a reasonable choice.

I really liked how she ousted Action Jack. It was somehow both unexpected and expected. Both coldly mechanical and petty. And really put that self absorbed douchebag in his place. Really appreciate the character more now.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
I really liked how she ousted Action Jack. It was somehow both unexpected and expected. Both coldly mechanical and petty. And really put that self absorbed douchebag in his place. Really appreciate the character more now.

Yeah, not just a cartoon, one-dimensional autistic character. Turns out, there were brains and shrewd business sense behind those awkward mannerisms.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Ichi, your link didn't work for me. This one direct to youtube does.

Hell, even when I quote your post in my reply and put exactly what I posted above after it, somehow the whole thing gets magically fubared.

I mysticalfied! D:

monkey333

Apr 20, 2007
With all of the stupid shit they do that screws them or the company it is plausible Dinesh left his bag near the HDD's and his fell into the pile. The writers are doing a good job of screwing the company every chance they get, almost to the point of it being obnoxious.

The one thing I do like about the show is how plausible it is compared to other tech shows. It's not guys hacking into shit on roll up keyboards in seconds.

The whole "they can't quite catch a break" is getting a little tired, but alas I cannot stop watching..

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Seriously?

No, I'm trying to tell those who, for some unknown reason think the tech sounds even vaguely plausible, that it's little more than something written for a TV show, using terms loosely cobbled together to sound real.

The process and the environment are close enough to be believable. Well, up until we got to Dinesh losing his "personal hard drive" with all of the company's IP on it.

How is anything other than the technology beyond the realm of what actually happens in companies? Having a "personal hard drive" with things on it is fairly common, especially at small companies where they'd rather not have to buy you shit. And, that is before we even go into if he was saying personal as in his or personal as in the one he uses at the company. Even if it was, that isn't a stretch. I've worked for a company with a BYOD policy and had plenty of company IP all over it.

It is quite telling a lot of you think people really smart in certain aspects of life aren't just as prone to doing stupid shit as everyone else though. I guess it hurts the ego a bit knowing while you may be really successful and good at your job, you're also an idiot. >_>

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
last nights episode was completely full of win, probably my favorite episode of the season so far. it just had so many moments. poor dinesh with his heart broken.

"are you a bartender?"

"i work at facebook."

"are you a bartender at facebook?"

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
agreed, best episode of the season. Richard and his girly girl with the space vs tab moments were fantastic.

As soon as Jared walked out of that room with his lady, my very first thought was Hanneman--he actually does know this stuff! :D Was kinda hoping that it wouldn't be brought up (left as one of their subtle jokes that is easy to miss), but then Dinesh muttered it.