HBO's Game of Thrones to reveal future book spoilers

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Yup, Martin's going to pull a RJ and die before he finishes. I read all 5 books in a span of a month and was flummoxed when I heard it took 19 years to get where we are today.

Probably.

He's just more or less enjoying himself atm anyway, why not :)

I think he's been passing notes back and forth to HBO writers on how he was going to do things anyhow, even if not they will keep it rolling.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
I wonder if he's basically working with the HBO writers as a means to help remove his writer's block.

"So hey guys, here's what I think I want to have happen next. What do you think?"

"Nah Georgie, that sucks. Here is what you should do..."

"Brilliant! But first let me go write this short novella about tea."

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I'm pretty ecstatic by this... I gave up on Martin living to write to the end. I mean seriously, the first book came out ~19 years ago and we're only on book 5! At least this way we'll have some closure.

Oh wow 19 years. Had no idea it started so long ago!

KT

Clemenza

Oct 12, 2010
Oh wow 19 years. Had no idea it started so long ago!

KT

Yah, and I think that is the part that really bothers me about this. I think I started reading the series after book 2 was released. So, this was something I've followed for many years. Contrary to some people in this thread, it isn't about smugness from a book reader, it has just been a huge time investment in something that I truly enjoyed.

I like the show, but in most cases I enjoy reading then watching an adaptation of the written story. Basically, fuck GRRM for taking so long. I've still not decided if I'm going to stop watching or just watch and read the final books if/when they come out.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Yah, and I think that is the part that really bothers me about this. I think I started reading the series after book 2 was released. So, this was something I've followed for many years. Contrary to some people in this thread, it isn't about smugness from a book reader, it has just been a huge time investment in something that I truly enjoyed.

I like the show, but in most cases I enjoy reading then watching an adaptation of the written story. Basically, fuck GRRM for taking so long. I've still not decided if I'm going to stop watching or just watch and read the final books if/when they come out.

The first 3 came out relatively quickly (2 years between each). The next slipped to 5 years, which wasn't terrible, except that it was terrible and the next took 7, which was unacceptable for what we got.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
And the first three books maintained a very brisk pace. 1996 for AGoT, 1998 for ACoK and 2000 for ASoS. It's been 2 books in the last 15 years.
While you may know about it, I didn't until last year.

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Meereenese_Knot

That link doesn't have spoilers but I think the sight does.

He had to rewrite 700 pages of one of the books, then took time out to help with the show. While it's taken an extremely long time to write the last two there are good reasons for some of the delays.

Clemenza

Oct 12, 2010
The first 3 came out relatively quickly (2 years between each). The next slipped to 5 years, which wasn't terrible, except that it was terrible and the next took 7, which was unacceptable for what we got.

The last 2 books should have been a lot better for the amount of time he spent writing them. He needs to spend less time eating pizza rolls and chugging liquor. I think I'm going to stop reading fantasy series until they are completely finished. I just got into The King Killer Chronicles thinking they were finished only to find out that book 3 will be out "sometime."

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
The last 2 books should have been a lot better for the amount of time he spent writing them. He needs to spend less time eating pizza rolls and chugging liquor. I think I'm going to stop reading fantasy series until they are completely finished. I just got into The King Killer Chronicles thinking they were finished only to find out that book 3 will be out "sometime."

lol

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001

Your passion of the stories in the books and your annoyance of GRRM is not what people are calling out for 'smugness', it's these people who read the books and intentionally crashed the TV show thread informing bragging about stuff that are different (or same) just so everyone knows that they have read the books.

The keyword here is 'intentional', hence smugness.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
And the first three books maintained a very brisk pace. 1996 for AGoT, 1998 for ACoK and 2000 for ASoS. It's been 2 books in the last 15 years.

He did a signing at a small book store in Tualatin just after ASoS came out. There were maybe 20 people there (with plenty of empty seats). He read several pages from the book and I got to talk to him for a couple minutes and had him sign my copy of AGoT.

When I was at comicon last year I was thinking about going to the GoT panel in the six thousand seat Hall H, I saw the line stretching off into the distance down the marina the evening before and decided to bag it.

How things have changed.

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
So many "This post is hidden because XXXXXXX is on your ignore list." Some of you definitely posted spoilers in the show thread ;)

On another note, as someone who watched the show and has been slowly working through the books, I find myself ignoring characters that I'm not familiar with / don't remember from the show. It's not a good thing to be doing, and I know I'm doing it, but I can't help myself from thinking "Well, this person's not in the show, they must not be important."

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
He should just give up on the books, and enjoy the proceeds from the show. Just consider the first five novels a script treatment.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Woot, just got this e-mail from our local theatre:

HBO Canada invites you and a friend to attend this exclusive advance screening of the Game of Thrones season 5 premiere on Monday, March 30. Tickets to this event are complimentary, thanks to HBO Canada!

Can't wait!

KT

Mar 10, 2005
So many "This post is hidden because XXXXXXX is on your ignore list." Some of you definitely posted spoilers in the show thread ;)

i suspect he's 1 of the people that think discussing things he doesn't get equals spoiler, and that i'm on his ignore list for repeating a line from the rains of castamere a year after it aired.

Woot, just got this e-mail from our local theatre:

Can't wait!

KT

you lucky maple bastard

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
i suspect he's 1 of the people that think discussing things he doesn't get equals spoiler, and that i'm on his ignore list for repeating a line from the rains of castamere a year after it aired.

You were one of 6 people that got put on ignore during the really bad 10-15 page stretch in the show thread last year. I couldn't tell you why, but if I felt you were posting spoilers or alluding to them or supposedly noticing the smallest of details that no casual show watcher would ever pick up on without prior knowledge of the events in the books, I ignored you.

No need to be a jackass about it and insult my intelligence.

Edit: At least I didn't pull a techs and rage about it. I forgot how ridiculous those pages were.
Edit2: My best guess is you annoyed me with posts like this. I dug around page 300 or so where the spoiler rage happened and didn't see anything there. You are, however, awfully combative =)

Last edited:

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
You were one of 6 people that got put on ignore during the really bad 10-15 page stretch in the show thread last year. I couldn't tell you why, but if I felt you were posting spoilers or alluding to them or supposedly noticing the smallest of details that no casual show watcher would ever pick up on without prior knowledge of the events in the books, I ignored you.

No need to be a jackass about it and insult my intelligence.

Edit: At least I didn't pull a techs and rage about it. I forgot how ridiculous those pages were.
Edit2: My best guess is you annoyed me with posts like this. I dug around page 300 or so where the spoiler rage happened and didn't see anything there. You are, however, awfully combative =)
Am I on your ignore list? I assure you I have not read the books and I have no interest in reading them.

Mar 10, 2005
You are, however, awfully combative =)

how dare you call me combative! i will destroy you!

3rdplacenatguardprize.jpg

who?

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2012
Santa Fe is such a pleasant place to live procrastination is understandable.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
I never understood the outrage over spoilers.

Nonetheless, they should be respected - and this announcement is pretty much a spoiler warning. So, if you don't want anything spoiled, don't watch the show.

The outrage over spoilers was so certain individuals can be drama queens.

like so

as long as
R + L = J
I will be happy.

"OMG! You're Ruining it for EVERYONE! I'LL have to start a Crusade against you NAO!!!"

As for the books. I'm fine with having the book endings spoiled because while the show and books are telling the same story (more or less) television shows and books are different mediums and I like the story well enough to read the books when the show is over to see how George R.R. Martin will tell his version of the story.

No, I'm not saying that that makes me the superior fan... as someone has suggested was my point in another thread. I just want to read the books even though I know what happens in the series because, imo, they will be different enough for me to do so.

Last edited:

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
I wonder if he's basically working with the HBO writers as a means to help remove his writer's block.

"So hey guys, here's what I think I want to have happen next. What do you think?"

"Nah Georgie, that sucks. Here is what you should do..."

"Brilliant! But first let me go write this short novella about tea."

:awe:

Not a bad hypothesis either...