HBO's Game of Thrones to reveal future book spoilers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 10, 2005
I describe Game of Thrones to my friends who enjoy the show as exactly that; a medieval soap opera. I get the appeal the show has, but it's a pretty crap show all round in the context of some of the better television out there.

One of the worst shows HBO has done.

yeah, ok

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Edit: I should also note that I think the only people who are actually upset by this are fucking idiot blowhard bookreaders who want to be superior to the strictly television viewers. Omg! They know something you don't now! Omg!

On the plus side we'll have fewer hysterics from the show-only crowd whenever some minor book detail is mentioned. They cried to the mods so much it was approaching the point where you couldn't even use the word "book" in the show thread.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
On the plus side we'll have fewer hysterics from the show-only crowd whenever some minor book detail is mentioned. They cried to the mods so much it was approaching the point where you couldn't even use the word "book" in the show thread.

As it should be. Smug asshole book readers were making a mess of things.

KT

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008

I thought it was rather comical. When it got to the point that bringing up things that had happened a couple episodes prior brought about "omg spoiler!" from certain members, I just couldn't help but laugh.

And, even with that said, if knowing about the Red Wedding before it was shown ruins the show for you, it wasn't a very good show to begin with. What makes the series (books and show) good isn't the twists, it is how the character interact during them.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
And, even with that said, if knowing about the Red Wedding before it was shown ruins the show for you, it wasn't a very good show to begin with. What makes the series (books and show) good isn't the twists, it is how the character interact during them.

It's actually pretty nice to have both though.

KT

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008

KT

No. Fucking idiots crying because I repeated something they fucking missed in the previous episode and running to the mods because spoilers made a mess of things. No one was saying "Snape kills Dumbledore!".

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
No. Fucking idiots crying because I repeated something they fucking missed in the previous episode and running to the mods because spoilers made a mess of things. No one was saying "Snape kills Dumbledore!".

You know the problem was more than that. Anyway, this is not the thread for it.

KT

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
It was pretty obvious this was going to be an issue, it was just a question of when. It might as well be now.

I'm skeptical GRRM will ever finish the series so I'm glad I'll get to find out what happens.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
It was pretty obvious this was going to be an issue, it was just a question of when. It might as well be now.

I'm skeptical GRRM will ever finish the series so I'm glad I'll get to find out what happens.

I agree with this. Writers aren't exactly known for their longevity and GRRM is already old, fat, and likely a raging alcoholic*.

*I base that alcoholism on every other writer in the history of writing.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
ornithology.jpg

;)

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013

KT

You know the problem was more than that. Anyway, this is not the thread for it.

KT

Not really, I was banged on a couple time for mentioning things that were not even spoilers, but I won't dig into that one up again.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
The problem is a lot of characters can't be concealed and story lines can't really be retconned like in books. Look at Reek and Theon. They couldn't stick with the book, due to the audience knowing that was Theon from the get go.

Edit: I should also note that I think the only people who are actually upset by this are fucking idiot blowhard bookreaders who want to be superior to the strictly television viewers. Omg! They know something you don't now! Omg!
These were the same people spoiling everything for the first few seasons (not just here, everywhere), so fuck 'em.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Personally, I had never even posted on these forums until the 4th season, and got felt like I had gotten mauled by a pit bull at the time over a few comments that spoiled nothing.

I'll just stick to the book thread per instructions like halfway through last season or do.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Not really, I was banged on a couple time for mentioning things that were not even spoilers, but I won't dig into that one up again.

It's a confusing show, there's tons of characters, tons of interactions, tons of seemingly unimportant lines that becomes main plots... With as many people who were asking questions, recalling (sometimes incorrectly), people posing theories, and of course actual spoilers, it was a hot mess.

Remove the people actually posting spoilers and I doubt the people would have confused one for another.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

lol, no. You mentioned one very specific thing that was super-spoilery, and it's hilarious that you still don't get it. I think the issue is when people have a hard time separating the information from each source--probably something that had long been made evident in the books, but at the same relative plot time in the show, was never mentioned, addressed, or in any way part of the story. As so happens, that last season of the show showed some things that have yet to appear in the books, apparently, so it happens.

That being said, I forget what it was, but it was really damn obvious.

Anyway, I can't wait for the thread this season. It's like its own mini Game of Thrones--in the form of a forum, and no ego is safe! :D

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
I'm pretty ecstatic by this... I gave up on Martin living to write to the end. I mean seriously, the first book came out ~19 years ago and we're only on book 5! At least this way we'll have some closure.

Pneumothorax

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2002
I'm pretty ecstatic by this... I gave up on Martin living to write to the end. I mean seriously, the first book came out ~19 years ago and we're only on book 5! At least this way we'll have some closure.

Yup, Martin's going to pull a RJ and die before he finishes. I read all 5 books in a span of a month and was flummoxed when I heard it took 19 years to get where we are today.

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007

hey man, thats not cool. i didnt even finish watching Harry Pottery. why post spoilers??

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
I think it's always worse to see the movie/show and then read the book. That's why this annoys me. But I like the show enough that I will continue watching. If anything I will just not purchase any future books and watch only the show.

But ultimately... Screw that guy. He took way too long to write the books, cashed in too early on a mega TV show and now can't deliver at the pace we enjoyed early in the series. I love the story he's created thus far but at this point he's only getting my money once from here on out.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
lol, no. You mentioned one very specific thing that was super-spoilery, and it's hilarious that you still don't get it. I think the issue is when people have a hard time separating the information from each source--probably something that had long been made evident in the books, but at the same relative plot time in the show, was never mentioned, addressed, or in any way part of the story. As so happens, that last season of the show showed some things that have yet to appear in the books, apparently, so it happens.

That being said, I forget what it was, but it was really damn obvious.

Anyway, I can't wait for the thread this season. It's like its own mini Game of Thrones--in the form of a forum, and no ego is safe! :D

I vaguely hinted at something that didn't happen till 8 weeks later.

Even then, I didn't even hint how or why or where.

It doesn't resemble a mini GOT at all, when people just post a couple complaints for no reason just to kill you off from the thread.

Wit or thinking was not involved, just someone lodging a complaint.

I'll still just be in the book thread I guess, many people got raked through the coals for no reason in the regular one.

Last edited: