HBO’s new documentary exposes Scientology

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

McLovin

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2007
Very well done documentary. Hopefully people that don't pay attention to them, will at least get a look at them and finally realize what a fraud these groups of people are.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
The whole opposition to Scientology is a curious social phenomenon. They're really no different than any other religion out there.

-Bilks money out of believers with false promises of salvation. Like the Catholic Church.
-Viciously litigates against those who criticize it. Like the Catholic Church.
-Conducts covert operations to hide its crimes. Like the Catholic Church.
-Thrives on spectacle and conducts bizarre rituals. Like the Catholic Church.
-Believes evil beings possess our bodies, and regular prayer sessions are required to cleanse them. Like the Catholic Church.

The only real difference is the Catholic Church at least tries to encourage people to be halfway decent to their fellow man. As opposed to Scientology, shuns outsiders and treats non-believers and apostates like they have the plague. Like Islam.

Why specifically point out "The Catholic Church"? If you say "no different than any other religion out there" then don't target one.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
Cool. I love when things are exposed.

KT

HRHhggN.gif

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
Just watched it all, was pretty good.

They even left out some major things, I live in Clearwater, which is one of the major HQ's

I expected to so a few things I know of that weren't even mentioned to my surprise, like the whole .44 Magnum killing someone references and a few other hot spots.

I'd like to see them go down myself.

Why wasn't that a documentary by definition, and they did actually leave a lot of "spectacular" stuff out of it.

http://www.forum.exscn.net/forumdisplay.php?92-Tampa-Bay-Times-SP-Times

It's is truly creepy driving past their towering edifice in downtown clearwater. All the people in their creepy uniforms standing around.

They turned downtown clearwater into a ghost town. There are a few places opening up recently, but it's mostly just empty buildings that they own.

I can't comprehend what all those people actually do there when they aren't being bussed back and forth to all the "no vacancy" motels where they are stored like cattle when not doing whatever it is they do in the building.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Watched it and more or less confirmed what I already knew, it's basically a cult.

Maybe in another few generations it will become a religion but I'm not betting on it.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Not really, the amount of money they move around at the moment and people they affect in the background is pretty staggering, to a degree.

But I suppose a lot of Corporations do it these days.

What scientology does is surprising in how fast it seems to have happened, but it's really a drop in the bucket compared to how much of a grip Christianity has historically had on the planet.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Watched it and more or less confirmed what I already knew, it's basically a cult.

Maybe in another few generations it will become a religion but I'm not betting on it.

I had no idea that their tax exempt status was the result of harassing and bullying the IRS with frivolous lawsuits and a PR assault for several years.

insane.

The slave labor, lack of any exposure to the core belief structure among the majority of its members, dwindling membership, violence and tyranny at the center of it...knew all of that.

Surprised that they did not cover the murder/"disappearance' of Miscavich's wife, though. In fact, not a peep that he was ever married. Truly strange. Court gag order?

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
Of course a documentary on Scientology would need to have "spectacular stuff" wouldn't it? Why else would any such film get funded?

I haven't seen the "documentary" and know very little about Scientology but this is a hit piece. It was conceived as a hit piece before a single piece of research was collected or a single word written.

It is what they set out to make. Calling it a documentary is ridiculous.

-KeithP

We have a scientologist in our midst guys!

Its a documentary bro.

I lived in LA in the 90s and worked in entertainment and a few people I worked with were scientologists and I lived a block away from their big center near beachwood canyon. Least intellectually open people I have ever met. Creppy how closed minded and rigid in their thought they were said yoda.

The shit talked about in the documentary has been whispered and written about for 20 years but seeing and it being easily accessable is very important.

They should lose their tax free status because of their investments and linear structure. That leader dude is something else. I could see this starting a movement to that end.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I had no idea that their tax exempt status was the result of harassing and bullying the IRS with frivolous lawsuits and a PR assault for several years.

insane.

The slave labor, lack of any exposure to the core belief structure among the majority of its members, dwindling membership, violence and tyranny at the center of it...knew all of that.

Surprised that they did not cover the murder/"disappearance' of Miscavich's wife, though. In fact, not a peep that he was ever married. Truly strange. Court gag order?

I imagine they didn't want to swim out into murky legal waters and expose HBO to litigation. The billable hours that were spent merely reviewing all the content for this are probably crazy as is.

It is interesting the intersection that HBO is staking out these days between news, investigative journalism, and documentaries. Clearly it is having an increasing effect on current events both directly and indirectly.

McLovin

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2007

insane.

After being involved in the largest infiltration of the American Government, I'm not sure how that didn't throw up HUGE fucking red flags.

Did anyone else chuckle in the beginning when they talked about LRH's military career and the accidental shelling of a Mexican Island? lol

I was honestly surprised they didn't bring up Lisa McPherson.

http://theunfunnytruth.ytmnd.com/

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
1% problem...

btw does the documentary say anything about that alien technology they claim to have? is it like a little piece of goa'uld technology or the entire stargate?

Last edited:

McLovin

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2007
1% problem...

btw does the documentary say anything about that alien technology they claim to have? is it like a little piece of goa'uld technology or the entire stargate?

No but they have an audio record of LRH essentially reading the description of Scientology from the South Park episode.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
didn't the Scientology have pit bull lawyers who sued the shit out of anybody who published anything negative ?

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
didn't the Scientology have pit bull lawyers who sued the shit out of anybody who published anything negative ?

Vice supposedly employed hundreds of lawyers. Most of the information came from people who have already been persecuted by the Multi level marketing scheme so they are somewhat already behind their stories.

What I think this will be good at is making it trendy Kony Facebook style. The more people know about Scientology the less likely they are gonna be duped which is definitely the case already with their declining numbers.

They need to be seen a corporation headed by one guy. the strict adherence to dogma classifies them a cult and their for profit maneuvers need to be looked at by the IRS.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
They need to be seen a corporation headed by one guy. the strict adherence to dogma classifies them a cult and their for profit maneuvers need to be looked at by the IRS.

Good move, that takes care of the Catholics. What's your plan for going after Scientology?