Having USPS hold a box for pickup? Good friggin' luck.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I have a couple of boxes coming and USPS tracking says they'll be delivered Friday, Dec. 7 by 8PM. I'd prefer if I could pick them up from the office. Reasons:

1. Expensive stuff, don't want to risk them being stolen off porch.

2. The holiday party for my volunteer gig is Friday at 5PM. If they don't deliver the boxes by 5PM or so, I'll have to stay home and miss the party.

Will the USPS hold them for me? Do I have to pay a fee for that?
I can go to the office today with the tracking numbers, but don't want to pay them $15 or something for this service, if you call it that. Tried calling them yesterday, but closed due to GHWB's funeral.

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
Go to their website, there is something called informed delivery. That may help.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
No it doesn't cost anything to do that. I've done it will all the major carriers if I'm expecting a package that requires signature (I work during the weekdays). I haven't done it at USPS for quite a while but it shouldn't cost anything.

If you have a tracking number and have pulled up the tracking info/history, there's a "Delivery Instructions" link there and you can click that to have them leave it at a specific place (e.g. back door), neighbor, or hold it at the Post Office.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
No it doesn't cost anything to do that. I've done it will all the major carriers if I'm expecting a package that requires signature (I work during the weekdays). I haven't done it at USPS for quite a while but it shouldn't cost anything.

If you have a tracking number and have pulled up the tracking info/history, there's a "Delivery Instructions" link there and you can click that to have them leave it at a specific place (e.g. back door), neighbor, or hold it at the Post Office.
Hmm. I'm wondering. At my Informed Delivery page there's a heading "Track & Manage." Under that are ~1/2 dozen topics, one being Intercept a Package. Select that and there's info including this statement:

"You'll receive an estimated total (estimated Priority Mail® postage plus intercept fees). We will then attempt to intercept and redirect the shipment."

That suggests fees, and that's why in the OP I said I suspected they might charge me for this and I saw something that suggested to me it would be in the neighborhood of $15!

Instead of Intercept a Package, I'm going to the Tracking item in that menu and see if I can manage a pickup at office without charges.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

OK, so I select Tracking instead, see the tracking history, but I don't see a link for Delivery Instructions or similar to get them to retain it at the local office for my personal pickup. I this same stuff yesterday before starting this thread.

Edit: Under Package Intercept it says:
- -
What Is It?

Redirect a domestic shipment that hasn't been delivered or released for delivery. Available for packages, letters, and flats with a tracking or extra services barcode and all mail classes, except Standard Mail® and Periodicals (other restrictions may apply).

How It Works

• Verify your shipment is eligible for Package Intercept.
  • If eligible, log in to your account and submit your request.
  • You'll receive an estimated total (estimated Priority Mail® postage plus intercept fees). We will then attempt to intercept and redirect the shipment.
  • The Postal Service® will make every effort to locate your item; however, there is no guarantee for this service.
  • If the package is intercepted, your credit card will be charged the Package Intercept fee plus the estimated postage. If the actual postage due is greater than the estimated postage, any additional postage due will be collected at delivery (or pickup).
- -
That suggests they want to extract a fee from me for this.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I went to USPS Tracking (first link under Bing search results) and entered the tracking # for a package I have coming:

uspstracking.png

I expanded the Delivery Instructions and would've just had to sign in with my USPS account. I'm wondering if I have that ability because I have a USPS account. If you don't have one, I'd recommend signing up. It's free and just takes a minute or two. I hate having a million logins and accounts everywhere, but at least I have KeePass to keep track of all the crap.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I have a USPS account and am signed in (upper right it says Hi <my first name>). Where do I have that link to hold that package at the PO for pickup? I don't see Delivery Instructions.

Under the Expected Delivery by
Friday
7 DECEMBER 2018 by 8:00pm it says
---------------------------------------
Text & Email Updates
Proof of Delivery
Tracking History
Product Information
See Less ^

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
For some reason I don't see Delivery Instructions when I track one of the packages. There were sent insured and signature verification.

Edit: Said 0 packages. Clicking in that it allowed me to add a package. Now says 1 package. Click in that and I can't add Delivery Instructions for some goddamn reason.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Says "Note: DI not available for this package"

Goddamn, I'm SOL. WTF is this? It's Priority Mail, Insured, Signature enabled. Scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
So, I all the USPS 800 number and am scheduled for a call back in more than 1 hour. Goddamn fucking USPS!

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Goddamn! I add the 2nd package and it says Delivery Instructions but after selecting a PO for it to be held to for my pickup it says:

This option will incur a fee

Goddamn maniacs, their system is fucked up.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
So, to see what they would charge I add this to my cart. Turns out it's 0 dollars. OK, so I proceed and the transaction is made. Now it's going to the PO, but there's no ETA. Blah. I had no luck doing this with the first package, no idea why. Now I have to try to get it to work with the other... then try to figure out when I can pick it up. Friday sometime? Saturday? Dunno.... Nuts, this stuff.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Now I'm really screwed. Package one (the big one) can't be redirected to the PO. Package two is now set for pickup. WTF is the good of that? Now I have to have Package two redirected to my house. This is hell of nuts.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Motherfucker! So, I go to cancel the hold at the PO to redirect Package Two to my house so I don't have to pick it up and it will be delivered at the same time as Package One, presumably. I'm allowed to select location, so I say "Back Door." It's effectively a "Release," presumably meaning they won't ask for a signature. I'm guessing (probably wrong!!!) that this means they will stash Package One at the back door too. Looks like I have to stay home anyway, kiss goodbye to the party unless they deliver before 5PM because they will require a signature for Package One. Goddamn post office department. /Rant

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Wow that is dumb man. I'm not sure why there was no "Delivery Instructions" like I was seeing there. It should just be a default frickin feature and super easy to do. Massive fail. I just checked out the USPS app on my phone (had to reinstall it) and it's no help at all, you can just track packages (and do other stupid crap). No wonder I had uninstalled it lol.

The UPS site has much easier re-routing to pickup at UPS location, IIRC. I've used that more often than the USPS option.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
If it was signature required then they won't leave it at the door (at least they aren't supposed to). You should have just left it alone. If you aren't there they will just leave a slip telling you to pick it up at the PO.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
If it was signature required then they won't leave it at the door (at least they aren't supposed to). You should have just left it alone. If you aren't there they will just leave a slip telling you to pick it up at the PO.
The 1st is signature required, I figure the 2nd isn't (it's smaller and much smaller value).

I suppose that's what I should do, though, what you say. If it comes, I'm there and I sign for it, great. If it doesn't come by 5PM, just go to the party. They will either say pick it up on the slip or redelivery the next day. I'd prefer pickup, but you get what you get.

I figure 1st package is signature required the other not required, that's why couldn't redirect the 1st one. Which is bullshit because I could obviously sign for it at the PO. Looks like I'm SOL on that. The USPS called me back but when I answered the phone I got a dial tone and I'm screaming "fuck you" at my phone. I call them back and this time I couldn't program in a call back and I'm listening to their inane music on hold for "over an hour." I'm going to hang up. Fuckin' PO.

Last edited:

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Out of curiosity, if you're items were to get stolen, what are the chances of you either getting your money back or the same item being shipped out again? Would you have to deal with say your cc co. or the seller/shipper? Both? I usually don't have to worry about shipping because I ship to my office, but my wife has been ordering crap and I've been seeing stories in the news saying USPS is allowing you to provide instructions for dropping stuff off.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Out of curiosity, if you're items were to get stolen, what are the chances of you either getting your money back or the same item being shipped out again? Would you have to deal with say your cc co. or the seller/shipper? Both? I usually don't have to worry about shipping because I ship to my office, but my wife has been ordering crap and I've been seeing stories in the news saying USPS is allowing you to provide instructions for dropping stuff off.
I'm particularly nervous about this because I'm not dealing with a company but with an Anandtecher who built a system for me. He has shallow pockets. I don't want to take any chances.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Call your local post office instead of the 800 number.
I have a number that I called last time and was told it was for private use. The number they provided me to contact them directly IIRC, I called yesterday and today and after maybe 8-10 rings I'm asked for an access code, which I don't have and it goes to dial tone. I figure I can go to the office today if I want and ask them face to face for the skinny.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I have a number that I called last time and was told it was for private use. The number they provided me to contact them directly IIRC, I called yesterday and today and after maybe 8-10 rings I'm asked for an access code, which I don't have and it goes to dial tone. I figure I can go to the office today if I want and ask them face to face for the skinny.
Huh, that's not how they do things here. Just the other day my GF called the local office about a package that was marked delivered but wasn't actually delivered.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Last week I had changed the delivery to pick up at the office because I (correctly, as I found out) assumed my package required a signaure and I wasn't gonna be home. Ok, then they would've left a slip, but I probably wouldn't have been able to pick it up the next day (which was a Saturday), and anyway I just wanted to get my hands on that mofo. So it was really handy for me in that case. But... that was FedEx. I'd think USPS would be the same but who knows I guess.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I call the local PO number (no answers last few times I call, only entreaty to enter access code), but this time a man answers. I explain. He asked my name and address, I give to him, he informs me he used to be my carrier and remembers talking to me and remembers where I like to have packages placed... progress!!! He says use the online facility to redirect and I tell him it's not working for one of the packages. He puts me on hold a while after I give him the tracking numbers and he comes back and says he will speak to my carrier personally and have both packages held for me for pickup and I can call tomorrow afternoon and he will be there and I can make sure they're ready for pickup! Hope this happens as planned! Whew!

Last edited: